In September of 1976 just 7 months after we met, Mike and I became officially engaged. We were both 18 years old. Young girls dream of the day when they'll get married, they plan how many children they are going to have and what their names will be (one of my children actually does have a name that I picked when I was a young girl). While still in my youth I decided that I wanted to get married on April 16th, I loved the sound of that date....April the 16th. Back in "the days" when we got married it seemed that Friday was the "official" wedding day of each week. Once in awhile couples got married on a Thursday, but Friday was usually the day chosen. April 16th was on a Saturday (I didn't know anybody that got married on a Saturday back then) so we chose April 15th as our wedding day (I didn't know anything about tax day either).
Because our wedding date was 7 months away my Mother said we didn't need to start planning until the beginning of the new year. In the meantime I began working at the LDS Church Office Building and Mike continued to work at Safeway. We worked and saved our money and got a little bit older.
Fall came and went, then Christmas, and suddenly it was the new year....1977. On January 2 we called the Salt Lake Temple and scheduled our wedding ceremony, we also requested that Selvoy J. Boyer perform our sealing. President Boyer was the first President of the London Temple in 1958, when my parents and I were sealed as a family the day after the temple was dedicated (click here to read my Mom's blog about that day).
There was much to do to prepare for a wedding and the start of a new family. My Mom sewed my wedding dress and we shopped for fabrics to make bridesmaid dresses (which they sewed). There were pictures to take and invitations to print and mail. We planned our refreshments and decorations, ordered flowers and registered for china and silverware. There were several bridal showers where I received lovely gifts to fill my new home. My Mom had encouraged me right after Mike and I got engaged to save my money for the purchase of a brand new bedroom set. It was beautiful furniture and I was so proud of myself for my first major cash purchase.
Wedding plans were well underway as the days, weeks, and months crept by until April 15th arrived.
A CONTEST: with a prize!!
I mentioned at the top of the post that one of my children was given a name that I picked in my childhood. Leave me a comment with your guess of which child it is. This is really random; I know I've mentioned it to people in the past but when I asked Mike he didn't know the answer and so it's anybody's guess. Everyone who guesses correctly will have their name entered into a drawing for a prize...from me. I will announce the winner on my blog on April 14th, the day before the final installment of our love story. You have until April 13th at midnight to leave a comment with your answer. I know there are people who read this blog and don't comment, this is your chance to come out of hiding. Here are the choices:
Andy Jeffrey Jeremy Ashleigh Caitlin
18 comments:
This has been so fun to follow! Happy Birthday Brother Leger,thank you for the kindness you have extended to our family. My guess is Ashleigh.
Is the prize a bag of western family candy? I guess I will guess myself.
I DON'T KNOW WHICH CHILD !!!!!!
I will guess Jeremy because I was in Belfast when he was born and I didn't hear any deliberations.
It is fun to be reminded of those days. I remember a lot of trivia.
I'm laughing at Jeff's comment... I can't believe I don't know who it is either???? But I'll just say it's Andy.
I want to win a prize! After consulting with Alan I guess--I mean We guess it's Jeremy. So if I win, Alan shares my prize :-)
I will guess Jeremy also.
Do bridesmaids normally sew their own dresses? I can't remember whether we made my sister and sisters-in-law do theirs or not.
I guess Jeff
I totally remember having this conversation with you. Because, I have loved the names Megan and Joshua since my teenage years. I feel like a schmuck of a friend that I didn't listen well enough! But I'm pretty sure it was one of your boy names, I'm going to guess Jeff. But didn't you have a name picked out you ended up NOT using!? Do I get a prize for knowing that :)
In answer to Bob's question about the bridesmaids dresses; I think the norm was that bridesmaids did make their dresses if they could, but the bride paid for it. My understanding is that in some cases now bridesmaids are expected to purchase their dresses. Yikes!!
Tiffany, I did have a name picked out for one of my babies that I didn't use, and it was just two weeks before the babies birth. But I'll have to remind you of it later when the contest is over (it may or may not be the same baby).
I'm going to guess Caitlin, mostly because it hasn't been guessed yet! ;)
I'm going to guess the Ashleigh because of the cute way you spelled it!
I think it's Andy.
This is Jeremy & It's Jeremy!
i guessed jeremy too, but only bc he's my husband! ;) It could be Andy though...maybe that's why you named your first child that name..? My guess is Jeremy!
This has been a fun drive down memory lane!! I am not sure which child it was. My initial thought was Jeff. But it seems like Jeremy is quite certain it is him. So I am going to go with Jeremy. I do know however it is NOT Caitlin. Can't wait to find out. One of the names I liked when I was growing up was Tina Marie. RANDOM!! I knew a girl named Tina that made me really like the name.
About the post: I have a distinct reason I picked my wedding day/day of the week too. I may have to do a "series" like you have done.
My guess is Caitlin.
Post a Comment