As the eldest child in my family, followed by three brothers (that I love), I really wanted a sister. On Wednesday November 23, 1966, the day before Thanksgiving, I was sitting in my 3rd grade class when my Dad came to my classroom and motioned for me to come out into the hallway. He came to tell me that my Mom had just delivered a baby that afternoon. "Guess what it is," Dad said to me. I immediately answered, "a brother." I think I may have sounded a little crestfallen. "Guess again," said Dad. I knew there was only one more option, but with amazement and questioning in my voice I said, "a sister?" I had my sister. Having a sister has been a blessing in my life and I am so grateful for Lilian.When Lilian was just three years old I got to go on a Daddy/Daughter date with my Dad.
That was a yearly primary activity. My Mom made me a new dress for the occasion and with the leftover fabric made a matching dress for Lilian. When Lilian discovered that she wasn't going on the date there was a bit of a fuss, so shortly after my date with Dad she got to wear her new dress and go on a Daddy/Daughter date too.For several years my Dad was a meter reader for Mountain Fuel. He taught Lilian how to read gas meters when she was just a little girl; she had a little notebook and a pen and she would go up and down the street to the neighbors and knock on their doors and ask them if she could read their meters.
I can remember looking out of my parents kitchen window and seeing Lilian knocking on doors and ringing doorbells.Being a little girl and getting my baby sister was great! But growing up and having my sister as my friend is even better! In 1992 I was first introduced to scrap booking, I went home and called Lilian and told her all about it, I knew it was something she would love, and she does. She is the scrapbook queen and I'm not kidding! Her scrapbooks are always caught up and they are wonderful. She also makes beautiful cards. She is always on top of the newest ideas and gadgets, and she's always willing to share.
Not only is Lilian creative with her scrapbooks and cards, she makes the best sugar cookies you will ever eat. Besides being so delicious, she decorates them so beautifully, and you know what
they say about presentation, it's everything. Every Valentine's Day she makes big heart shaped cookies and personalizes them for her family. One year for my birthday (at my request) she made me a big heart shaped "Lesley" cookie.Lilian is a great photographer and now has a photography blog. She's ready for business. At the beach house this summer she took pictures of my family that turned out wonderful.
I was with Lilian when she took this picture. We are at an overlook directly above our beach houseI love to go to Lilian's house. Mike and I go frequently for a movie night, often inviting ourselves, but the great thing is, we know we can. We always feel welcome and wanted. When I started writing this post I asked Mike, "what do you have to say about Lilian?" His answer, "she's the best!"
I mentioned in Lilian's son Michael's post, that Lilian speaks Chinese. Well she really doesn't speak Chinese, but she does the funniest Chinese accent that keeps us laughing 'til the tears flow. She is so funny and a fun person to be around.
She loves her family very much and they love her. She is the Mother of five sons! The name of her blog is "My Life With Boys". She is devoted to all of her "boys" including her most important one, her husband Cory.
This is Lilian with all of her men in 2006; because of boys missions she hasn't had all of them together since 2006. How would you like to have all of those handsome guys adore you? (And they do adore her)I have many, many stories about Lilian, but I love to tell about the time that we went to England to visit our parents while they were on their mission. Neither of us likes to fly; in fact we both hate to fly, so when our flight leaving Salt Lake was delayed due to "complications" we were both a little stressed. When it was finally time to board the plane we were both in tears as we said goodbye to our happy and smiling families. As soon as we were seated (in first class thanks to Cory) a flight attendant was already seeing to our needs when she asked us if we would like a drink, "a Bloody Mary?" Of course we told her "no thanks", but as soon as she left I looked at Lilian and said, "a Bloody Mary sounds pretty good right now."
Some things to know about my sister Lilian: She is very creative. She loves Disneyland. She goes to Disneyland a lot. She thinks of others. She is tender hearted. She loves Hugh Jackman (that's Lilian in the picture with him). She loves to chew on ice in a mug, it's her favorite snack. She has fun parties. She always feeds us well. She has a great laugh. She loves Mrs. Cavanaugh's Mindy Mints. She loves her family. She loves t'ocean. She loves the Tower Bridge; it's her bridge. She collects Wedgewood. She has a beautiful Christmas village. She's a good friend. All of her friends loves her. She works at a flooring store. She is a good person. She loves the Lord. We are all grateful that Lilian is in our family and we love her.
Lilian and all of her guys in 2006: Cory, Russell, Michael, Mickey, Lilian, Jacob, Taylor, and Alan
11 comments:
I love Lilian. She's always fun to be around. While Lesley claims 1st prize for visiting my in every city we've lived in, there's one she didn't. El Cajon (San Diego). Lilian DID visit us there, more than once. That's because we both lived in SoCal at the same time. And we visited her in Lancaster. In fact, we were the only Marsden representatives at Paul Ditty's wedding (along with cory and marivic and Christopher and Russell). Good times.
I love Lilian. Family Friday often reminds me of the parts about those family members that we love. I especially enjoyed getting to know Lilian the summer I got married 2006 when we both worked at Legers. It was always fun to glance over when people did stuff...and share a private laugh. She is an awesome aunt, very fun, very supportive, very loyal to her family.
In my adult years, I began to feel jipped that I don't have a sister. This post is further reason to feel that way. Sounds like a great lady. You are blessed with an incredible family, you really are!
I loved this post Lesley, but you forgot one thing...Lilian is a WONDERFUL mother-in-law! She has always been very accepting and loving towards me, even though I "stole" her oldest son. I really do love Lilian and I am very greatful for her.
I'm grateful to have Lilian as a sister in law. She is always fun and funny but also kind to me and a loving aunt to my kids. I genuinely like Lileenz. A story Lilian and Cory like to tell is when I called the morning after their wedding night and asked, "So how was it?" I meant the hotel room, of course! I helped set it up for them because I work in hotels :-) But they thought I meant something else. Leenz is naughty-naughty :-)
...of course she didn't listen to her Mother when her Mother said "stay away from those boys next door". Ah well! I still love her and ALL her boys. She is GREAT!!!!!!
Tim says: I will never forget Lesley asking Lilian to go down to the beach and by her some french fries (our San Clemente vacation in 1972). I was asked to escort her to the snack bar since she was only 5 years old. When we got there I let her order since it was her errand and then she proceeded to announce to the girl behind the counter "I want some chippies for my sister." I was absolutely mortified. The girl (and several older teenagers hanging around) had to ask 2 or 3 times what it was she was trying to say. At that point I had to admit that I was actually with her by saying "She'd like an order of fries." Of course, everybody thought she was adorable. Of course, she was. I love you Lilian.
Margie says: Lilian is awesome!! I love so many things about Lilian, and I think she is a wonderful person. One of the many things that I love is how devoted and generous Lilian is towards our family. She is very dedicated and always willing to share with all of us. I love to talk to Lilian too. She is a very talented person with so much going for her!!
I'm so glad you are my sister too!
Tanks Resrey - and evywun ewrse.
Ruv ya - mean it!
I really liked your post about Lilian. I love everything about her and her family. I have been through much in my life and she is by far the best thing that has ever happened to me. That is why we will be together forever.
Cory
Lilian is the best! I totally feel like I can be my 100% self around her, and she also brings out my hyper side! ha ha ha I'm thinking back to our ride on Splash Mt. at the end of the night, where she, Caitlin, Chels, Jeremy and Derek and I were dancing up a storm during the whole ride. We were laughing so hard--I don't think I had laughed that hard in a while, so she definitely brings out the fun in everything she does. I have loved getting to Lilian over the years, and consider her my aunt, and not just Jeremy's aunt. ;)
This was a fun post to read, and the pix were great!
Lilian is awesome.
On my seventh birthday (when I was in first grade), Lilian and Cory came and got me out of school early from West Bountiful Elementary and we watched Disney cartoons over at Cory's house. To this day, I have no idea whether my parents knew.
At any rate, Lilian is always up for some fun and she makes great cookies. I couldn't imagine a trip to the beach house without her there. I love Lilian.
Post a Comment