It is week 21 of Family Friday and this is the first week that I'm featuring one of my own children. I have already introduced many of my handsome nephews but now I get to feature one of my handsome sons; in fact, I recently introduced Jeff to one of my friends who said to me afterwards, "you have really handsome sons." I think so too.Jeff is a wonderful son; right from the very start he was such a good baby and then toddler.
When he was a little boy I quickly discovered that he was a hard worker, I remember one day when he was just a four-year-old that he was washing the walls in the upstairs hall without being asked. He has always been very neat, tidy, and organized. As he got older (elementary school) he was also very particular about his appearance; his hair was always perfect and he liked his clothes to look nice too. As a young adult he would often have me do an "outfit check" before he went anywhere. I seriously felt it was a privilege that Jeff considered me someone whose opinion mattered in giving him the stamp of approval before he left the house.Jeff has always been a good friend, and if you are Jeff's friend you are very fortunate. In high school he became friends with a group of boys that he played Jr. Jazz with, they called themselves the Fab 8. They are all the best of friends to this day, including their wives. Every one of the Fab 8 was in attendance at the temple when Jeff and Melissa were married. I am grateful that Jeff has had such good friends, I am one of the Fab 8's biggest fans!!
Jeff was the first to leave on his mission; The Fab 8 served missions all over the worldJeff has always loved sports; throughout the years he's played t-ball, Jr. Jazz, little league, and soccer. Currently he plays in a softball league with his Dad and brother Jeremy. While on his mission Jeff was diagnosed with Leg Perthes Disease.
Anyone who is anyone knows how much Jeff loves golf. Last fall while visiting family in Kentucky Jeff spent three days at the Ryder Cup. I usually peruse the family blogs to lift pictures for Family Friday, but when I found this picture I came across a quote from Jeff that I couldn't resist: "I have a massive headache, my hips are killing me and I need a Coke as soon as humanly possible but besides that it was pretty much the best day of my life!"
Last fall Jeff also made his television debut as a sportscaster. His Father-in-law Scott nominated him as "Fan off the street" for KSL's Sportsbeat Sunday NFL Edition. When Jeff arrived at the studio he was given an NFL highlight (video footage) for which he was to write his own story and then report it on TV. Mike, Caitlin, and I were able to go to the live taping and it was really cool. Jeff did a fantastic job and we were all very proud of him.
Jeff usually sits back and enjoys the show when the family entertains, but every once in a while he jumps in and entertains us too. One year at our neighborhood eat-in-the-street he spontaneously got up and performed Ice, Ice Baby to everyone's delight, and at last years family Christmas party he was invited to participate with his nephews Adam and Zach in the talent show. Once Jeff got going there was no stopping him and he stole the show, he really has some good moves. 
The greatest joys of Jeff's life are his wife Melissa and their daughter Avery. Jeff is a wonderful Father to Avery, I love it when he sings to her and you can see that she loves it too. Last Sunday Jeff called to tell me that while they were out on their family walk he and Avery were stung by hornets. Of course I was very concerned about Miss Avery and her traumatic experience and was expressing my concerns to Jeff and trying to relay the information to Mike all at the same time, when I heard Jeff on the other end of the line say, "I seem to remember telling you that two of us were stung." Yes, we were concerned for Jeff too.
Some things to know about Jeff: He is very tender hearted. He loves his family. He's loyal. He's funny. He's smart. He's generous. When he was 14 he visited England and Ireland. He was a runner-up in the Duchesne County baby show. President Spencer W. Kimball kissed his hand.
Jeff's Family: Jeff, Melissa, and Miss Avery
9 comments:
And Jeff's a great nephew and a great cousin. When he was 15 years old, he flew to Reno to help me load the moving van for Yuma. And several years ago he flew to Sacramento to tend his cousins while Vicvic and I went to San Francisco for our anniversary. And it was really awesome spending about 45 minutes with him one rainy afternoon while he was a missionary in Seattle. Jeff's cool! Or should I say, Jeff's coo'!
Hey, I made that post in a-round-about way! I was the one that said you have handsome sons! Perhaps I shouldn't admit that publicly... Ha Ha
You have a great family, you are very blessed.
What can I say about Jeffrey!!? Oh my gosh! The things I can say! You mentioned him taking his cousins to hit golf balls. Well, he's gone beyond that and taken them to golf 9 holes. Recently he took Michael with him to caddy while he and Jeremy golfed. And apparently he lets him drive the golf cart. Little Snoop LOVES Big Snoop.
Jeffrey is a fun boss. I don't work for him anymore, but we sure had some fun. Yeah... he read the obituaries while I was at work with him. We used to be very sad at some of them and then there the ones that made us laugh. Like the time a polygamist died and his wives asked that in lieu of flowers that donations be made to the family because his dream was to take them all to Disneyland.
I'll never forget some of our conversations and the things he said as a little kid.
One image I will never get out of my mind is that of a young man at at cemetary saying farewell to his sister.
I love Jeffrey!!!
Jeff is AWESOME!! And yes, I for one am very glad that Jeff is in our family. I always really enjoy being around Jeff. He has great people skills. I loved reading this post. What a great man Jeff is. I think that story of the Fab 8 is so impressive. I think it is so great that they have remained such good friends all of these years.
I also love how dedicated Jeff is to the extended family too. I know Jeff is the type of person that if I was in a bind, I could call on him and he would be there for me. I love you Jeff!
Jeff is a great husband and father! We love having him around too! He makes us laugh all the time and sometimes roll our eyes;)
I agree with all the things Lesley said, well... I am not 100% convinced on the peacemaker part:)
Jeff is the most competitive person I know and is always looking for oppertunities to make something a competition. When he was at scout camp he challenged a nearby troop to a game of ball against his troop during their lunch break (I am sure he had something riding on it too!) and he has recently started a game of 'Survivor' - some football thing- with everyone he knows and then some. (If you want in on it, call him! He would LOVE to have you!)
Jeff is just plain fun. He loves to have fun and thinks life should be fun at all times. That is why he is fun to have around!
Avery and I love our Jeffy!
I love Jeff! A wonderful boy who grew up to be a great man! Of all the nieces and nephews he is the only one who has witnessed a Marivic-melt down. Not even my kids have had that privilege :-) While he was helping us move from Reno to Yuma I "lost" my wedding ring, and I got all weepy. It was not pretty. I hope I didn't traumatize Jeff. He acted so kind and mature while his adult aunt was acting like a child, and he's never mentioned the incident ever in my presence or made fun of me at "family tell-all fireside gatherings" and I really appreciate that :-)He is a classy person on top of being a good nephew and I love him for that.
The wedding Ring was found.
Like Lilian said so many stories..... one of my favorites that I have told many times is when we played hide and seek and Jeffrey was about 2 or 3. Everyone is hiding, Lesley is 6 months pregnant with Jeremy, sitting in the corner of the family room(lol)with an unfinished quilt around her (lol) and a lampshade on her head (lol)in the dark. The two wee boys are somewhere (lol)G'ma climbs on top of the washer(lol)and suddenly visualizes where her family is and starts to giggle (lol) suddenly out of the darkness comes "shut up gwanma" (lol)
Was that the night Lilian and Kari hid in the downstairs shower, or was that the night we couldn't find Archie because he was hiding behind a 3 ft tree in the entryway?
Memories, memories.
Great post about a great young man!!!!!!!!
I love my brother Jeff for lots of reasons. I'll just mention one. Even though he's a cool dude who's really good at every sport he's ever tried...he also knows every word to about twenty Al Jolson songs. Maybe more.
Post a Comment