Friday, November 13, 2009

Family Friday: Featuring My Brother Timothy

I have been blessed with some pretty amazing brothers; each one of them is unique and I love them all. At the beginning of the "Family Friday" series I featured Alan, but today and for the next two weeks I will feature my other three brothers, starting with my brother Timothy. Tim is the third of my parents six children, and the last to be born in Ireland. Tim was born just nine days before my third birthday, so I really can't remember the time of my life when Tim wasn't there. Tim was just fifteen months old when we arrived in Salt Lake City in October of 1962.

When we were teenagers Tim and I came up with a musical duet; sort of. Tim was always good at dancing and moving and wasn't afraid to get up in front of a crowd. He stood up and lip-synced to a jazzed up version of You Are My Sunshine while I was the "Cyrano De Bergerac" and sang the song behind the scenes where nobody could see me. We "performed" our song for our friends and family on numerous occasions, and we had a lot of fun!

After Tim's graduation from VHS he served a mission to Brasil, where he had the opportunity to speak Portuguese. Every family birthday party that we attend Tim sings Happy Birthday in Portuguese while the rest of us clap in rhythm. Tim also graduated from the U of U. After graduation Tim worked as a CPA (he kindly does my taxes for me every year), but for several years now he has been a Controller for a big company. Tim and Margie were high school sweethearts and were married on December 16, 1982 in the Jordan River Temple. They have raised three great kids; Melissa, Sean, and Megan. They recently became first time grandparents when Hannah Elizabeth was born. Tim is the perfect family man; He takes seriously his roles of husband, father, and now grandfather. His family is very fortunate.


Tim is a great storyteller. Whenever he shares one of life's experiences with us he truly brings it to life. He keeps us captivated with his tone of voice and actions as he talks. He is also a great singer and can do great Buddy Holly and Neil Diamond impersonations. Sometimes when we go to the beach house we do an impromptu talent show. One year Tim got up to take a turn and was all set to go with his "broom guitar" in hand, when he turned around and closed the blinds. His explanation; he didn't want the neighbors to see how goofy we are.

Tim loves soccer (football in England) and is a big fan of Arsenal. Last year he and his son Sean went on a trip to England where they were able to attend several soccer games (matches), which was one of the biggest highlights of their trip together.


Tim is hard working, motivated, and dedicated. A few years ago Tim decided to go back to school to get his MBA. At the time he was working full time and was also serving in the Bishopric; and of course was a husband and father. During the duration of his schooling he had to travel to Salt Lake City every week and stay overnight. That is a huge commitment on top of the commitments previously mentioned. Tim finished top in his MBA class.

Tim has always been a good brother to me and a good Uncle to my children. Every time I see Tim he hugs me and tells me that he loves me. I know that he really means it; I love Tim too.

Things to know about my brother Timothy: He has integrity. He is honest. He honors the priesthood. He has a great laugh. He loves all of his family unconditionally. He occasionally asked to borrow my LAPD's (popular pants in the '70's) when he was in Jr. High. He enjoys hiking. He's in good shape. He loves music. Each year he makes his family a CD of music that has special meaning to them for that particular year. He serves. He's kind. He's happy. He has a tender heart. He's funny. He writes clever poetry. After high school graduation he spent a summer living with us, and working in the Uintah Basin. Tim was a big winner on The Price Is Right (including the showcase). He's a good singer. He's faithful. He's a good listener. He's humble. He leads by example. We are all so grateful that Tim is in our family, and we love him.

Tim's family at the beach house last summer: Adam, Melissa, Megan, Tim, and Margie (Tim's son Sean is serving in the Adelaide, Australia Mission and baby Hannah was born after this picture was taken)

14 comments:

R. Divot said...

Don't forget that Tim will give you the shirt right off of his back. He did for me in the Summer of 1975 when he used his favorite shirt to stop the bleeding on the gash of my wee foot.

Tiffany said...

I've got to get my family members more on the ball! I love reading about your family relationships!

Lilian said...

Tim is defintiely one of my four favorite brothers. He's always been a good big brother. I don't think there has ever been a time that I can remember where he was mean to me. (being a little sister and all) He was even kind enough to show me how to play with my new barbie ski jump one year at Chrismtas. (after he put it together and tried it out himself). You are right, he always give me a hug when he sees me and tells me that he loves me. I love him too.

Melissa said...

My dad is everything you wrote and more. Thank you for featuring one of my favorite people on Family Friday (oh wait...they are ALL my favorite)!

Until just recently I didn't really appreciate how HARD my dad works. I was just looking at my sleeping baby last night and thought...I need to be as good a parent to her as mine were to me. My dad would go to work and then come home and continue to take care of his family and do church callings. My dad constantly had headaches for working so hard. I've never seen him do an unselfish thing.

When I was 7 or 8 years old my dad started a tradition of reading A Christmas Carol to me every year. We started off slow as he had to explain much of the text and or dialogue but I have continued to read it every year and I always hear my dad's voice reading aloud all the voices. This year I plan on reading it aloud with Hannah.I better practice some voices.

I have never doubted that my dad loved me. I have never doubted his testimony and I have always known that no matter what he will stand by me and be proud of me.

This year he's been sending me encouraging text messages as I struggle uphill towards the last few days and weeks of school.

My dad is such a gentleman. I am glad I was raised by someone who taught me how I should be treated.

I love my daddy. He's the best and I'm so grateful for him.

Ps I have GOT to see that duet. Talent show talent show talent show....

Margie said...

I just talked to Tim (he is out of town, but will be back today) and told him he was featured on "Family Friday" today and he said in a very happy voice "MEEEEEEE"

You did a great job in capturing Tim. He is an awesome and amazing person. Marrying Tim was the best decision I ever made and blesses my life each and every day.

He is a very valiant example to me and he strives everyday to love and serve his family. He was out to dinner this week with his boss. They were talking about work and the demands of work. Tim boldly stated the in the 1970's there was a prophet in the Mormon church that said "No success can compensate for failure in the home. He explained that he believed in this statement and that he would give all he could to work while he was at work, but his family came first and he needed to have that balance in his life too. His boss listening intently and then proceeded to agree with him.
Tim is a leader!!

I could go on and on!! I love Tim!! And BTW...Tim still does have quiet the dance moves :)!!!

Stecky said...

I'm not family, but, I love sitting at Tim's table. He keeps me entertained....laughing until I hurt. I love his stories. I think I like the snowballing the truck during Sacrament meeting and the church basketball games the best. Can I sit at his table the next time we are all together?

Alan said...

I think I've identified with Tim through all the years a little more than my other siblings. He's always been my immediate big brother. While Archie did a "Greg Brady" and used his oldest brother status to abandon us for more "exotic" location within the house, Tim and I shared the same room almost the entire time of growing up. That meant a lot of fun, goofing, story telling, smelly socks stuck into my face, being pinned down and threatened a few times :) It was Tim who introduced me to Neil Diamond, actually buying my ticket to the first concert I went to. He's been a good big brother, helping me get started in college by showing me the ropes; answering tax questions every year; etc.. Tim's a great brother and friend.

Andy said...

I still have a flicker of memory of traveling on a bus with Uncle Tim from Bridgeland to West Bountiful. It's one of my earliest memories. And I have accumulated so many more "Tim memories" since.

Here's one: For cub scouts one day (a Pack meeting activity), we had built cars out of cardboard, which we wore around our waist, and we ran a four lap race at the West Bountiful Park. Our family members served as our crew at the "pit stop." During each of the four pit stops we had to perform various activities before we could run the next lap. For instance, at one stop you had to take your car off, put your scout uniform on backwards, put your car back on, and then run the next lap.

Tim and Margie were there. I think Tim helped build the car. But what I remember the most was Tim's enthusiasm as the race was going on. He was the head of the crew. He helped at every pit stop, and his encouragement grew at each one. By the last lap, I had a clear shot at winning the race. I'll never forget Tim's excitement as he cheered me on and pushed me on my way to the last lap. GO Andy! GO Andy! GO Andy! And I won. (In my memory he seemed even more excited than when he won season tickets to the Raiders, the Lakers, the Kings, and the Dodgers.)

Tim's always been a fun uncle and I always look forward to seeing him.

Marivic said...

Tim is a great brother in law. He gets credit for giving me my first ever lesson in dollars and sense. I don't know if he even remembers. But when Alan and I were newly weds, Tim took me to a grocery store and proceeded to teach me how to shop, and explained why for example one packet of pork was a better buy than another :-), and why it was a bad idea to convert dollars to pesos in my head. I was too culture shocked to get most of the lesson, but I definitely got the fact that Tim was and is a good brother. He takes precious time to help his family and acts like it's no trouble at all. I am so glad Alan has the kind of brothers he has because I really don't know how to relate to older brothers since I don't have any and my Dad was the oldest brother of 9 which basically meant he was king of the world. And I don't know how to deal with kingly brothers :-) so I'm thankful Tim is more relatable and affectionate. I appreciate his good example to Alan very much.

Jeff said...

I just got back from Grandpa's city hall performance, where I was once again treated to Tim doing his Neil Diamond impersonation. It never gets old and he keeps me laughing every time. Tim has always been and continues to be a great uncle and someone I look up to. I know this word has been said before, but whenever I read of hear the word integrity, Tim is the first person that comes to my mind.

Archie said...

This is a great tribute to Tim. Like Jeff I just listend to Hot August Night. The girls call it Uncle Tim's song (just like they now call "Imagine" Sean's song)

Tim is a great brother. When we were young people used to think we were twins. And although I may have pulled a "Greg Brady" as Alan called it, I did spend many a night in the same room as my brothers. Tim really liked to play Calculus Station and seemed to really enjoy "Chinsey Days" I remeber we all used to stay up late on Friday nights and watch Nightmare Theatre on tv. Being close in age Tim and I used to double date from time to time. We played church basketball together and even worked together for a time at Allman's Carpets. Sure we had brotherly disagreements from time to time. Once Tim chased me right through the screen door on the balcony. That memory just makes me laugh out loud.

I've watched Tim through the years. He's a great family man, a great son, uncle and especially brother. I enjoy when we can get together swap stories and laugh. Julee and the girls love to spend time with Tim and Margie and the family. They love Uncle Tim's accent when he tells british jokes and they love how Tim makes them feel special when he singles each of them out to see how their life is going.

Tim you're a great man. I love you brother!

Margie said...

Tim said....Thanks Lesley for this kind and generous tribute. Thanks to all of you for your kind words. It is an amazing feeling to know and associate with so many incredible people. My kids always crack up at me because they will quote me occasionally and I will say "I said that?" Now when I read Lesley's tribute I think "That's me?" I love all you guys and I am so grateful to Lesley for this inspired way of bringing a close family even closer.

Every time you write in this space "every ear in the place" is on you. Hallelujah!!!!

Bea said...

What can I say? I am always at a loss for words when it comes to writing about my kids. I love them, no question, but talk about them? that is difficult.
I remember when we were in Ireland and he was trying to learn to walk I wouldn't let him because I wanted his Daddy to see him in the process. And Daddy was in SLC. I also remember that he was born the same day as Princess Diana, and he lived in the next street to George Best. I also remember him and Archie wrestling in the front yard and me calling them into the house with the words, "get in here and let the neighbors think we are a happy family" or something like unto it.
He is a man of integrity, and can always be counted on. And he does hide his light under a bushel.
After last night's concert all I can say is Vegas eat your heart out :o)

em said...

Uncle Tim and I share a bond since we both served missions in Brasil. ;) I think Tim is such an example of how a righteous priesthood holder should act. I think he is so disciplined, and wise, and I always love talking to him. I've noticed that when Tim is listening to another person talk, he gets this really pleasant look on his face, and he is just so sincerely interested in what people have to say. He has been such a good example to Jeremy! Tim also does a great Neil Diamond act!!!