Friday, November 6, 2009

Family Friday: Featuring My Dad Alan

During my "Family Friday" series I have introduced the boys in the family as handsome young men. This week you can clearly see why when you see this picture of my Dad. I have a handsome Dad. Even when I was a little girl I recognized that my Dad was handsome, and I was very proud of that fact.

My Dad was born in England. He was the seventh of nine children, only five of which lived to adulthood. He joined the church when he was eleven and when he was thirteen his Father passed away. He had a lot of family responsibilities as a young teen aged boy with a widowed Mother. He took care of his two younger siblings and many household duties while his Mother worked to support their family. As a boy in school Dad played soccer and for many years as an adult he played recreational soccer, I remember many Saturdays during the spring and fall our family going to watch Dad's soccer games.

In early February of 1962, Dad was coming home from work one day on a trolley bus in Belfast when a voice as clear as any voice he had ever heard came into his mind saying, "you are going to live in America." When Dad arrived home he recounted that experience to Mom. Immediately they began making preparations to come to America. Dad left Belfast in June of that year, leaving behind Mother and their three young children for four long months. I was just four-years-old and have vague memories of our arrival in Salt Lake City, but I have no doubt that it was a joyous reunion. I do remember arriving at our first home in West Bountiful late at night and finding a doll waiting under my pillow for me. I promptly named her Virginia in honor of the state we had just come from. I will be forever grateful for a faithful Father who heeded the prompting of the spirit. Bringing our little family to America has been a great blessing not only to us, but to many generations yet to come.

I think that my Dad was born happy. I'm not kiddin'. He has the greatest sense of humor and keeps us all laughing (or shaking our heads) when we are with him. I can't remember a time when my Dad didn't whistle or sing; and he is famous for both. Many times when I come across people that I haven't seen in many years they will ask me about my parents, often, particularly those who were peers of me and my siblings will ask, "does your Dad still whistle?" Dad has been singing since he was a little boy. From the time that I was a little girl Dad was always singing somewhere; a wedding, a funeral, a ward party or a roadshow; over the years he has become a great entertainer who has performed all over the valley. Shortly before my wedding Dad recorded an album and just this past summer Dad recorded a CD.




My Dad is a gospel scholar. All of my life I have seen my Dad study the scriptures and read good books written by church leaders. When I was a little girl my Dad was a stake missionary. He had a box in his bedroom filled with copies of The Book of Mormon, these were the blue copies with the Angel Moroni on the cover. These books also featured copies of the Book of Mormon paintings by Arnold Friberg, I used to love to browse through those books and look at the pictures. On the day I was baptized my Dad gave me one of those books. I was thrilled to receive it and I still have it. I have been very fortunate to be the recipient of my Dad's first set of scriptures. While they were still "courting" my Mother gave Dad his first Triple Combination for his 18th birthday; then, on their second wedding anniversary which happened to be the day before I was born, Mother gave him his Bible. Mother says that he can still tell you the first scriptures that he read in his new Bible on the day that I was born. These books are well worn and marked. Not only are these books a priceless treasure because of their content, but because they belonged to my Dad; he read, studied, learned, and taught, with these books.

I'm not sure if we could actually count how many rooms Dad has painted or wallpapered for his family, or how many shelves were built, or sheet rocking done, or pilot lights lit, truck loaned out, comforting council given, tending grandchildren, chauffeuring, treats, cleaning up after un-natural disasters, and much more....whatever our needs he's always there to do what he can, and he keeps us laughing or smiling in the process. Granpa is the best.


Dad never says goodbye to us, whether it is in person or on the phone without telling us that he loves us. One day many years ago I was talking to Dad on the phone and as I hung up I realized that Dad hadn't said, "love ya", the phone immediately rang, it was Dad calling me back to say, "love ya".

Things to know about my Dad: He works hard. He never wastes time. He's an early riser. He's wise with money. He loves and takes care of my Mother. He loves his family unconditionally. He's wise. He loves the Lord. He serves. He served a mission to England with Mother as his companion. He is FUN. He loves soccer (but it better be English). He loves pie. He honors the Priesthood. He is never, ever, late. He retired from Mountain Fuel. He's honest. He's an Apollonian. He loves the Lord. He has a firm testimony and shares it often. He's a good brother. People of all ages love him. He likes yellow shirts. He's always well groomed. I love my Dad and I know all of our family does too, and we are blessed and grateful to have him as our Father and Grandfather.

Granma and Granpa at Artist's Point in Yellowstone National Park last year

22 comments:

Lilian said...

It's only 12:35am. I've kinda made myself stay up so I can be the first to read and comment since I knew this one was going to be about dad.

I love dad. Everything you said is spot on. There has never been a time when I asked for help and dad said no. He has always been willing and able. My kids love their granpa and all their friends tell them how cool their granpa is.

I love that dad loves mom. He has always honored her and taken care of her. I love that he honors the priesthood. He has always been a spiritual strength to me.

Great post Les! Love you dad!

Alan said...

When I was a boy I used to listen to Dad's stories of Batley Park, or Joseph Priestly's statue, the mill, soccer at Healey School. Last year I finally got to go see these places, delighting in being in the places my dad was a boy. But when I visited North Terrace in Birstall, and stood at the spot where my father was born, so distant from West Bountiful I cried. I took a picture of the place and you can see it on Google Earth. On the left panel under "Layers" click the boxes for "Geographic Web" and "Panoramio" Then in the upper left corner in the search box type "Birstall, Yorkshire, UK." On North Terrace you should see a blue dot. Click on it and there it is, labeled Alan Marsden Birthplace!!!

Anyway, to me Dad is a fun, caring, generous man. He's even painted our kitchen and family room all the way in Rocklin. One of my most fond memories from my youth is going with him on a golfing trip to St. George when I was in ninth grade, just the two of us. I've been with Dad during some of the most infamous events in our family history: "Hold on there Tiger," SCANNERS, and POPEYE. I love you Dad.

Melissa said...

Grandpa is such a wonderful patriarch for our family. I never doubt his testimony, I never doubt his love and devotion to his eternal companion, and I never doubt his love for me or for any of us.

Something I admire is that Grandpa is a bold person. He is never afraid to speak up when something is right or wrong so I'm sure he has been an awesome missionary all of his life even to his family. Last month while I was on the phone with him he asked me if Adam and I were reading the scriptures and praying together and told me that he wanted to make sure we were being faithful. Then he told me of the importance of doing those things and I could feel his testimony.

I also love how funny Granpa always is. When I was in 6th grade he convinced my poor friend that Queen Elizabeth was his cousin and that he had to ask permission from her to marry Granma.

The other day I was thinking about my parents marriage and I am pretty sure the example that Granpa set for my dad has trickled down to all of his sons and I have even watched it in the way Sean treats women. I am grateful that I come from a family of men who so fully respect and care for women.

I could write a book on all the things I owe to Granpa from the first prompting to move to America to his excellent example he sets for his family without falter, to driving all the way to Vegas to help bless my Hannah. I love you Granpa and I've been so grateful to be born of "Goodly Grandparents" :)

Margie said...

Timothy said....Lesley you have done such a fantastic job with Dad's spotlight; it is all true and infinitely more. Just like Alan I have loved visiting the spots where Dad grew up. Last year Sean and I visited No. 11 Burnsall Road where Dad lived at the time Grandpa Archie died. The area was fenced off because they were demolishing that row of houses. Sean and I climbed over the fence and walked around inside the home. Even though it was a burnt out shell I was still walking inside the home that my Dad walked inside. I stood at the window where Grandpa Archie's coffin had been on display and it was a very powerful experience. I now have a picture of Sean and I standing at the front door. Thanks Dad so very much for obeying the spirit. You received a revelation that day from the Lord that has and will continue to impact the lives of so many. We all thank you and honor you. Yours is a legacy (still in the making) that will be carried on in so many ways. May God bless you for your obedience, your diligence, your example, your tender heart, your thoughtfulness, your service, your devotion, your leadership.
I love you Dad with all of my heart and soul.

Margie said...

Tears filled my eyes and the spirit warmed my soul as I read and felt gratitude for the wonderful example and blessing it has been in my life to have married into this family. My life has been directly blessed by dad's example of being a valiant man. Melissa is correct in saying that our marriage has been blessed because of dad and mom. Tim has always treated me with the upmost love and respect and cares for me and our children because of the example he had. I have heard it said that the greatest gift parents can give their children is loving each other. That one example has been passed down in a powerful way and will continue through the generations.

The other day we visited with dad and mom. Dad said something that has really made me think. He was talking about the importance of being a cheerful person. He is a very good example of being cheerful and happy. We all need that. It is refreshing to be around cheerful people. It is a choice. We all have so much to be grateful for.

Fantastic post Les!! You really captured Dad. I love you dad, and I am grateful for you too.

R. Divot said...

For someone who cried at Wrestlemania VII you can imagine what happened as I read the post and all the comments that came after. What a wonderful spirit my father is! Never a hesitation when it comes to displaying affection for his children and grandchildren. Never a hesitation when his help is needed. The love and respect he gives Mom has been an example without measure. And his faith in the Lord and the gospel has been absolutely inspiring. We all give Dad the courtesy laugh when he throws out one of his old puns that we've heard a dozen times before. But once in a while he comes up with a zinger and we're reminded that his sense of humor is second to none. He had me in stitches a couple of weeks ago with some comment. I can't remember what exactly it was, but I'm sure if it made me laugh I'll be hearing it again. I love you, Dad, more than pie.

Melwel said...

I love that you do this with all of your fam. What wonderful memories are shared. You are a lovely person!

Andy said...

I remember being in 6th grade and having a parents' day at school. There were three Leger boys at Centerville Elementary and only two parents, so Grandpa came to my class with me. We played a math game--students and adults competing against each other one-on-one. Sometimes two students, sometimes two adults, sometimes a student and an adult. Whoever won moved on to the next challenger, and kept going as long as they kept winning. You would expect the adults to sort of go easy on the kids, but really, most of the adults were out of practice when it came to 6th grade math. So when they would lose you couldn't be sure if they genuinely lost, or if they were just being nice. But when it was Grandpa's turn there was no question that he was neither out of practice nor was he letting any of the kids (or adults) off easy. He had the longest turn of anybody, whipping through his opponents unmercifully (including yours truly).

It was awesome.

Then he took me to get a brown topper at Arctic Circle.

I love Grandpa.

Marivic said...

I waited up last night for this post to publish after midnight. But after reading the post I felt such emotion I didn't want to post any comment because I didn't want to be all mushy and weepy and ruin my reputation :-) I want Mom and Dad to keep thinking I'm not the weepy kind (ha!) :-)

I just want to say how much I love my father in law. That he is a good man, a faithful saint, a great husband to mom, father to my husband, grampa to my kids. There is no question he is the best in all these roles. Everyone else's comments have touched on why. For all of these he deserves everyone's LOVE and respect. But I just want to add what I think is most outstanding in my personal relationship with my father in law: that there has never been a day since I've known him that I didn't LIKE him (and Mom). Not a single day. I have been told this is rather unique in the in-law relationship, but what can I say? Dad has never been anything but kind and affectionate. He has never acted in anyway that is not motivated by love towards his own. I'm sure he has not always approved of every decision and action some of us made (as if we don't already know that!) but he continues to set a good example and to love unconditionally. How blessed am I that I married into this family and now an eternal beneficiary of such love? I thank Dad for accepting me and loving me like a daughter. To me it's a measure of his greatness.

On a lighter note, I like it when Dad asks me if I am "KAM-FOOR-TAH-BOL" (comfortable). I think his Filipino accent is getting better and better each year:-) I also appreciate it that Dad loves me even though I am not a FOX news watching conservative republican. Oh, DAHD!!! :-)

Lilian said...

I also wanted to mention how funny dad is about treats! He loves a good treat and loves to share. There is rarely a trip to the London Market or British Pantry where he doesn't bring me a Wholenut. And don't even get me started on the Mindy Mints!! Well, nevermind... if dad wants to get me started on some Mindy Mints, I will not refuse!

Bea said...

I laughed out loud when Lilian mentioned Mindy Mints. Because as we were reading the comments first thing this morning I mentioned to G'pa that Lesley and Lilian were hinting for Mindy Mints. Don't you love it that I know my kids!!!!!
Well, Lilian came right out and this time Lesley is quiet but I'm sure agrees with Lilian. :o)

Tara said...

This post did a great job of describing Grampa, but I think just reading the previous comments, it's clear that a whole book could be written about all the things he's done to touch the lives of everyone he encounters.

Personally, I have always LOVED my Grampa, he was so fun when I was a child, but as I've gotten older, I've become very struck by how contemplative and interesting he is. When I was younger, I couldn't wait to play hide and seek with him or hear more of his jokes, but now, I look forward to the conversations we have. Though our opinions probably differ in many respects (I'm the California granddaughter, what can I say) he has treated me for years like an adult who is worthy to be listened to, and I think he shows the same respect to all of his grandchildren.

Grampa is very encouraging of everyone in his family with their pursuits, be it music or theatre, or whatever it is. I've always heard him saying things about "Our David" playing Joseph a million times better than Donny Osmond, and this summer he told all of us granddaughters while we were watching Disney channel that we each have more talent in one pinky finger than that Hannah Montana has in her whole body :] He has especially encouraged me with my learning and my interest in history by buying me a book on ancient Egypt and recently sending me his copy of 1776 to borrow.

I could go on and on, as I'm sure we all could, so I'll just end this by reiterating how grateful I am to have such a kind, honest man for a grandfather :] I love you, Grampa!

Lilian said...

this is from Cory:
I would like to say something about my father in law as well. When I first met this family I was in awe of the love that they shared. I went throughout my life up to then without a father figure, other than that of my friends. I did not know how a dad acted in his own home, I never had one in my own home growing up. I would watch as he would talk to his wife and hug her. He would talk to his kids, taking time for each one, even me in his little den. Giving advice, once in a while but always giving the love that everyone requires. He is a kind loving man. I don't know if I had a beautiful girl, like he did and a rowdy neighbor like me, I would have just shot but I was welcomed in with open arms and still to this day feel more than welcome. I have always told Lilian that I married her just so my kids could have him for a grandpa. Alan you are a great example of what a dad, grandpa, husband, friend, Patriarc, missionary, painter and truck buyer should be. I look up to you like I have looked up to no other man that I have ever known. I truly love you and am so greatful that you are who you are.

Thanks Les for posting this, you did a great job letting everyone get a small taste of what the real man is like.

Bea said...

Seeing the picture of "my" handsome soldier threw me for a moment. It (the picture)sent my heart beating when I first saw it and it still does.(tmi?)If you look close you can see he is wearing a wedding ring.
He is all each of you have described and then some. In 53 years of marriage I have NEVER had to pick up after him. He on the other hand follows me around putting my things away and if I can't find my shoes or something else he ALWAYS knows where everything is. Even to saying, "look in the second drawer on the right hand side of my desk, and you will find it on the left" and that is exactly where it is.
He has always put the Lord first. And that is fine with me because I have learned if you put the Lord first everything else falls into place. He has never been on his own agenda. I could sit and listen to him sing forever. I enjoy to sit by him in Church and listen to him sing the hymns.
He loves his family and prays for you each by name everyday.
What can I say? I am a better person because he has loved me all these years. We love each other and delight in serving each other and our family. Eternity will not be long enough.
Thanks Lesley for the things you do for your family, this has been, and is, a great loving service you do each week.
All love together,
all love together.

Mini Embem said...

I remember Granpa for his happiness...and his teasing. :)

Archie said...

Les I love family Fridays. Seeing Dad featured this week really warmed my heart. So many comments have been written already and all have captured our father/grandpa so well.

Of all the many wonderful things you can say about dad the quality that comes to mind when I think of dad is family. Dad loves his family, and his family loves him. For me that is a priceless example of heaven on earth.

Julee, Ammanda, Alyssa and Aubree all love Dad. They love his stories and his humor and we all look forward to time with Dad/Grandpa. What's even more special is that there is no doubt in my mind that my Dad loves all four of my girls. He shows us and he tells us.

One story I've told the girls on more than one occassion is how as a young boy as I would go to bed at night, sometimes dad would watch Johnny Carson's opening monolog. He would laugh out loud and as he laughed I knew that all was well and all was right with the world.

I'm pleased beyond words that I've had my dad with me my whole life. I'm proud to be named Archie Marsden, and I look forward to telling Archie Marsden how much I love his son.

I love you Dad.

Bea said...

From Granpa:
How go I respond to all the kind and generous things that my family have written about me on Lesley's blog? You are all my eternal treasure, to serve you is a delight to me. From the moment my children were born (or married into) my heart jumps with joy each time I see them, as it does when I see "My Trixie". As it does when I see my grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Not only do I increase in love for you, I admire and respect everyone of you. You have good minds and hearts and your values are high. You are real, you are sincere, you are intelligent. Nothing brings me greater joy than to see my family love each other.I love you all for time and all eternity.
"GOD BLESS US ...... EVERYONE"

Bonnie and Jim said...

He is a good man. I am always glad to see him coming - he always has a smile and funny joke for me. And I will never forget the secret dude!! hahah

Tiffany said...

I know you already know how blessed you are...But really after all these family fridays, to see and know your family and the relationships you each have with each other-I can't help but feel a tinge of jealousy. You are truly, truly blessed.

BobN said...

I had heard about Alana Jo's Uncle Alan since before we were married, I was thankful for him long before I ever met him. Him and her Daddy Ditty, whom I hope to meet and thank in person one day.

The light of Christ shines so brightly in Uncle Alan. When someone knows and loves their Savior so completely, you can just tell.

Thanks Lesley and all those who have left comments.

Jeff said...

Just this last Monday Grandpa and Grandma came to our softball game. After the game we were sitting there talking and shivering as it was nighttime in the middle of November, when Grandpa said, "This would be a fun game to play in the summer." Classic Grandpa. I have laughed at that comment all week. I appreciate all of his support all these years coming to cheer me on during the different sports I have played. Whether it's a nice summer day or a cold winter night. I love Grandpa

em said...

I have a hard time even being able to express how much love I feel for Granpa (and Granma) Marsden. Since I didn't grow up with grandparents, I have felt that they have truly treated me like their own, and have shown me what a blessing it is to have grandparents! I think Granpa is one of the most spiritual, most wise men I've ever known, and just get a tear in my eye when I even THINK about him! He's so loving and kind, thoughtful and selfless, and loves him family wholeheartedly! I'm grateful for the stories and experiences he had while growing up in England, and could listen to him tell stories or jokes for hours on end! I will never forget the night that Jeremy and I told Gr. and Gr. that we were engaged and were going to be married in a few months. We shared a tender moment with them as they shared how they had hoped and prayed that things between Jeremy and I would work out. I am so thankful to be apart of this wonderful Marsden family that Granpa and Granma have created!
Mason loves his great-granpa, too, and even refers to him as, "old guy!" ha ha ;) Seriously though, he loves to hear him sing, loves to laugh with him, and loves it when he puts his finger in his mouth and makes a "popping" sound.
We are all blessed because of Granpa Marsden!