Friday, November 27, 2009

Family Friday: Featuring My Brother Archie

This week on "Family Friday" I'm featuring my brother Archie who was my very first sibling. For a brief time we were the "all American family" which includes a Dad, a Mom, 1 girl, and 1 boy; except that....we didn't live in America at that time. A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that all of my brothers are unique....in just a couple of weeks my brother Archie will be an antique (he's going to be 50). I don't remember the days when Archie and I were toddlers or pre-schoolers, but it looks as though we were good little playmates for each other. I love this picture and I love my brother Archie.

When I was a senior in high school Archie was a sophomore, I loved seeing my little brother in school. Apparently I frequently asked him if he had any quarters (for the vending machines). If Arch had it, he shared. There was a picture in our yearbook that was taken during a football game, I was in the Pep Club and Archie and his friends were walking past the bleachers. You can see me leaning over the girls in front of me to talk to Arch and you can see that he is looking up at me. The picture is photographic evidence of me probably asking Arch if he had a quarter.

During our teenage years Archie, Tim, and I had a great group of friends in our ward that we enjoyed "hanging out" with, some of them were siblings as well. Many years ago (twenty-six to be exact) Arch and I organized a party and we invited the friends of our youth. The party was held in my home and I was really looking forward to it. Shortly after everyone had arrived Arch and I were alone in the kitchen together and I said to him, "Arch, do you think everyone's having fun yet?" I really wanted this party to be a success and was quite serious when I asked the question. Archie laughed and assured me that everyone was having fun (the party really hadn't even started yet). For the past twenty-six years wherever we are as a family; the beach, Cherry Hill, the Christmas party, a birthday party, Lagoon, Disneyland...Archie at some point will say to me, "Les...do you think everyone's having fun?" The following is an excerpt from a comment Archie left on a recent Family Friday. "....Sure love family Fridays Les. Do you think everybody's having fun."

When Mike and I moved to Bridgeland many years ago, Arch arranged for the use of his employer's delivery truck to help us move. When we moved back two years later he did the same thing. While we were there Arch came to our newly built log home and laid all of the carpet for us. During the procedure Arch cut his hand quite badly and it was bleeding. What do you suppose his loving older sister (me) said to him, "Arch, don't get any blood on my carpet".

Archie and his wife Julee were married on August 2, 1986. They had such a fun wedding reception at the "The Riverboat". They have three beautiful daughters; Julee and the girls are four of the eight girls in our family who have the middle name of Ann.

Caitlin took this picture of Uncle Archie at the beach house in 2007

Things to know about Archie: He is a devoted family man. He is a hard worker. He is involved in his daughter's educations. He is an avid mountain biker. He loves camping. He is the only male in his household. He's loyal. He finished his basement and did a fabulous job. He is a fan of Survivor. He has faith. He's very funny. He golfs. Whenever his family goes on a trip they collect sand/dirt from each place they visit and put in little bottles that are displayed in their basement. He enjoys doing jigsaw puzzles with his family. Every phone call that I have with Archie starts out the same way; if I am the one that answers I hear, "Leeees..." then I reply, "Arrrrch..." and vice versa. Archie would do anything for his family. Archie works with computers. He is organized. He's kind. I have recently discovered that Arch is a very good writer as I have read his blog, he has a way with words that brings enjoyment to the reader. Archie was named after our Grandpa Archie. Two things of interest to Arch are, outer space and the Titanic. When he was a little boy he "earned" the gift of a flag that had been flown over our nations capitol. He likes the frozen bananas at Disneyland. He is a good son. I am so grateful for my brother Archie, my life has been blessed because he is in it and I love him. I know that everyone in the family loves him too.


Archies family: Ammanda, Alyssa, Aubree, Julee, and Archie

18 comments:

Lilian said...

Archie is awesome! Just last night I was talking to him about the time he bought me tickets to my first Rick Springfield concert. I wonder if he remembers that he also either gave me the money for, OR he himself entered me into the Rick Springfield fan club. We also talked about how we went to see the movie Purple Rain together and perhaps there was a scene or two that an older brother (and younger sister) were uncomfortable wathching together. HAHA!

I've always loved that Archie is so devoted to his family. Not only that of Julee and the girls, but also to the rest of us. And as my oldest brother I have always felt protected by him too.

I know that my boys really love him too. They get a kick out of his stories and for some reason even though they might get after me if I say a naughty word once in a while... Archie gets a big laugh from them when he does it!!???

Like I said, Archie is awesome... and I love him a lot!

Andy said...

Some of my earliest memories of Archie include him setting the timer on his camera to get a photo of the entire family together. Or if he was taking the picture, hearing, "everybody say [not suitable for Family Friday]."

Archie always makes me laugh. We have lots of comedians in the family, each with his or her own brand of humor. But I have to say Archie is one of the quickest wits I know, and his delivery is impeccable.

For example, at a family gathering last year, somebody related the story of a dog who had been run over and left for dead. It was an inspirational story, as the dog survived and continued to thrive, despite the loss of an eye.

Somebody commented afterward, "I bet the dog doesn't play around cars anymore," to which Archie replied without missing a beat, "Well, he keeps an eye out for them."

Just one example.

Alan said...

It's been fun having Archie as a big brother. He set the standard for cool and fun. Discovering the character "Professor Calculus," Estes Rocket launches, etc... Archie usually let me tag along. I didn't follow the example of all of Archie's exploits however. Impersonating a police officer by shining a handheld spotlight through a red mesh baseball cap to make cars think they're being pulled over, for example. I never did that ( but I thought it was pretty gosh dang funny). But it was Archie who first discovered Radio & TV at Viewmont, so I just may owe my career to him.

In my later teens Archie and I would go see movies together: "Final Countdown" "The Shining" "Animal House" (yes, we enjoyed the classics) and of course "Scanners" with Dad.

Now Archie's makes mountain biking seem cool to me and I'd love to take that up.

Now the corny but true part. If you can judge a person by their fruits (insert Alan Marsden Sr joke here) Archie is clearly a great man. He's blessed with a wonderful wife, and three beautiful, intelligent, happy, successful daughters who love their Dad, even if they spend half the time rolling their eyes at him.

It was fun seeing them twice this summer. You guys are welcome at our house any time.

Margie said...

I love Archie; and I have since the first time I meet him...over 30years ago. Archie has always been very kind and good to me. When we were at the U of U together before I had even married into the family, Archie would give me a ride downtown so I didn't have to take the bus. I always appreciated how he would go out of his way to help me.

I love what a fabulous family man Archie is. You can tell how much Julee and the girls love him and how much he loves them by the way they look and talk to each other. Archie just seems to go with the flow and is the perfect father for girls.

I love how tender Archie is and how much he loves his family. Not just his immediate family but his extended family too. He is a very good Uncle and always shows interest in his nieces and nephews.

I love to hear Archie talk with his siblings (especially Tim) and recount their growing up years. When they tell their stories I feel like I am right there watching the event happen.

I love you Arch...and I am glad you are my brother-IL

Melissa said...

I agree with Andy...I LOVE Archie's sense of humor. It was about last year I believe when Julie was taking the girls to get the shot for ovarlian cancer prevention and Amanda said "yeah we are all going to become one less" refering to the commercials. Uncle Archie said "I was going to become one less too but it turns out I don't have a uterus." I have obviously not forgotten that and chuckle every time I think about that. He's a great uncle to Hannah and an awesome uncle for me!

Marivic said...

I know Archie is a great brother not because of what he says but what he does. One of the things I'll always remember is that when Christopher passed away Archie immediately dropped everything and rushed from his home in West Valley to West Bountiful the night before his birthday to be with Alan and me. He did not say much but he was there for us and it meant a lot and will always mean a lot to me. Another cool thing I want to remind everyone is that Archie was our wedding photographer. He did a great job and it was FREE :-) I don't think I ever sent him a thank you card because I didn't come from a culture of thank you cards, but I am always grateful. A website administrator of one of those Mormon webs sites saw one of the pictures Archie took of me and Alan on our wedding day on a video I posted on my blog and admired it and wanted to use it on their website. I declined to give them a copy because it just seems so personal. But I'm mentioning this here to show he did a great job with our wedding pictures and as an example of how Archie does things not to be special but just because he is inherently a good man and a good brother. He gave me and Alan one of the things I treasure the most in life (that wedding picture)and he doesn't even know it. Well, he does now:-)

Jeff said...

To put it simply, Archie is "the man". He is a great family guy and as it has been stated in previous comments, very funny. He keeps me laughing all the time. I love getting out on the golf course with him, he always makes for an entertaining round. His 5 wood from 235 yards, over water, to 8 feet for eagle on #9 at Stnebridge, still ranks on my top 5 list of golf shots I have ever witnessed. And believe me when I say, I have witnessed a lot of golf shots. We will also never forget, "Am I hitting to loud for you guys?" Thanks Arch for being a great uncle and for always being ready to play a round. Hope to have many more in the future.

Bea said...

Archie is the best. Good man, good husband, good Dad, good son. I like him. I think we will keep him. :o)

Margie said...

Timothy said....

I have so many memories that it is hard to come up with just one or two that stand out. Archie has always been a great brother. We have covered a lot of common ground together since we are only 18 months apart in age. Here are just a few memories in summary: Snipe hunting while camping up Centerville Canyon, "Chintzy Day", Allman's Carpets, Concerts at the Salt Palace, the top secret route home from West Bountiful Elementary (remember on the other side of the ditch like we were spies), brotherly love displays while playing basketball or killerball for mutual, letting me ride his stingray bike that he converted into a chopper, being Batman and Robin for Halloween, helping me to grow up musically from the Partridge Family days to Grand Funk, Kiss, etc., letting me try out his raft on the pond behind Mom & Dad's house, and so on and so on.

Archie has always been a great brother and in many circumstances I was Beaver to his Wally. He had lots of friends and he let me tag along even if they didn't like it. Basically he would just say, "Gee whiz fellas, quit giving my brother the business."

Arch, you are a great husband and father. Seeing Jullee and the girls around you it is obvious you are adored; you can't fake adoration. You are a shining example to all of us and it is great fun hanging out with you. I always look forward to spending time with you. Our day in Disneyland this summer was awesome. I always look forward to Disneyland but being with your family just made it extra special and memorable. (Next time, however, I am going to enjoy the scenery during the canoe ride while Julee paddles for a change.)

I love you Arch. You are a great brother and an awesome friend. I am glad we have so many memories together and that there are more to come.

Love, Tim

Archie said...

Julee says.....
I love Archie he is the perfect man. I cherish the fun and laughter we have every day. Thank you for taking care of us and leading us spiritually, emotionaly & with good common sense. I always tell Archie, "you are a good man." In our day-to-day events he always instructs how to treat people with love and respect. He never misses spritual guidance with his family and this comes directly from his mom and dad.
With All My Love
Sally

Archie said...

Alyssa says...

Yes My dad is a good writer. He is always willing to take time out of his hectic schedual to read my papers for my classes and correct them.
I love my dad. He's always been there for me when i needed it. My sophmore year of high school he brought me a change of clothes when i had spilled (quite badely)on the ones i was wearing. And my senior year, I got sick on an overnight trip for one of my clubs and we were in Provo. He left work and drove all the way to provo to take me home.
Thank you Dad!
I love you
Alyssa

Archie said...

Aubree says:
Reading this blog, and all of Aunt Leslie's blogs, made me realize how much we can really know a person. There is an unlimited amount of facts that can be said about any one individual.
One thing that has always struck me about my dad was his photo-taking abilites.
One day, a couple of years ago, I found out that my dad had the dream to take pictures for National Geographic. I couldn't believe he had the desire to do so.I was even more astounded when I realized some of the pictures from our scrapbooks and photos on the wall(that I thought we bought from a photographer), were his pieces of work!

In the words of Ammanda Marsden:
Archie Rule!

Archie said...

I read Family Friday's faithfully each week on Friday morning. That is until this last Friday. Can you believe it? Maybe cause of the holiday it didn't feel like Friday. It was Saturday night. Julee, Aubree and I were at Temple Square to hear Les sing in the "We Also Sing" at the Tabernacle. We were outside after the performance, which was awesome, speaking with Les, Mike, Alana, Mom, Dad, Caitlyn and her boyfriend when Mike made a comment and I realized I'd neglected to read Family Friday, and it was ME!

Les you are an amazing sister. I enjoy reading all the family posts, but until now did not completely understand how special you can feel when you're the one who's featured.

Everyone's comments here have brought back wonderful memories and a smile to my face. You've melted my heart.

I love being around the family and continue to look forward to our times together.

It really is a pleasure to be nominated!

I Love You All!

PS - Les I'm having fun and I think everybody else is as well.

Bea said...

Dad says, I read the comments in
Family Friday all the time.
I continue to be impressed with the great abilities of my family.
I thank my Heavenly Father day and night for all my loved ones.
I am unable to calculate and certainly not express this love in it's fullest measure.It is beyond my ability to formulate the words.
I look at my children and simply marvel at how much I have been blessed. Whatever is within my power I will always do for my loved ones and others of course.
With regards to My Archie what can
I say?
I will never forget taking two pence to call the mid-wife to come
to 36 Trasey Close,Belfast and help bring this precious soul into the world.
He is one of my six favorite children.In the best family a man could ever have. Family meaning ALL
of you. Children,grandchildren,great grandchildren,sons-in-law,daughters-in law,EVERYONE is my family.
Archie I love you son,God bless you
and prosper you in every way.
You are one of my "Riches of Eternity"...........Love Dad

Bea said...

Dad says, I read the comments in
Family Friday all the time.
I continue to be impressed with the great abilities of my family.
I thank my Heavenly Father day and night for all my loved ones.
I am unable to calculate and certainly not express this love in it's fullest measure.It is beyond my ability to formulate the words.
I look at my children and simply marvel at how much I have been blessed. Whatever is within my power I will always do for my loved ones and others of course.
With regards to My Archie what can
I say?
I will never forget taking two pence to call the mid-wife to come
to 36 Trasey Close,Belfast and help bring this precious soul into the world.
He is one of my six favorite children.In the best family a man could ever have. Family meaning ALL
of you. Children,grandchildren,great grandchildren,sons-in-law,daughters-in law,EVERYONE is my family.
Archie I love you son,God bless you
and prosper you in every way.
You are one of my "Riches of Eternity"...........Love Dad

Bea said...

Dad says: I love to read Family Friday and I enjoy the comments very much. This past Friday was wonderful I read about "My Archie", why do I call him my Archie because he is mine and I love him. Dec 13th 1959 I pedaled to a local phone box deposited 2 pennies in the box called the midwife who came quickly and helped deliver our precious son. And the world is all the better for it. I could go on and on and add to all the wonderful comments that have been made but there would never be enough space. Archie Marsden is a good man, a faithful son, a good husband, father, brother, and friend, and I love him for eternity. He is one of my favorite 6 children :o)

em said...

I always feel so comfortable around Archie, and feel like he is genuinely interested in what is going on in our lives. He is a wonderful uncle, and I know that Jeremy looks up to him and admires him so much! Archie is also very stylish! He once said that he asks his daughters' approval on his outfits! ha ha
This was fun to read about Archie, Les. He's a good man.

R. Divot said...

Zhazhi! How would you spell it? I don't know. I just remember how cool I thought my big brother was. When he drove around in the mustang with that tiny steering wheel. He could fit his whole hand around it!! And how cool was that yellow Camaro? I still have a drum stick that he gave me from his drum set. Atta boy, Arch!!!