Friday, November 20, 2009

Family Friday: Featuring My Brother David

Beloved. If you look up David in the Bible dictionary that is what it will say...beloved. I wasn't surprised at all when I first learned of that definition when my brother David was born; as the baby of the family we all loved him from the very start. David was born just two weeks before my thirteenth birthday and I was somewhat of a second mother to him; not that he needed one, but because I loved him and I loved taking care of him. I remember often getting to be the one to take the baby out of church if he fussed or needed a diaper change. On one occasion that I was out in the hall with baby David, a visitor to our ward made a comment about "my baby", she was surprised when I told her that he was my brother. Yes, I think that beloved is a good description of my youngest sibling, even more so today than it was all of those years ago.

One of the stories that David loves to remind me of was when he and I walked home from church one day, or I should say that I walked and he was carried. The church was about a half mile from home and I was carrying David who was about three at the time. Walking in a dress, wearing heels, and holding a three-year-old wore me out and so I explained to David that he was going to have to walk now. He didn't want to, but I put him down and I started to walk away, expecting that he would follow me. I stopped and looked back, but David was still standing where I had put him down and he was smiling at me. I coaxed him to follow me and continued to walk, sure that he would come, but each time I looked back David hadn't moved an inch. He just stood there smiling at me. I had walked quite a distance, I was sure that he would give up and follow me but no, his will was stronger than mine. Finally in exasperation I stomped back and picked him up and carried him the rest of the way home.

In our family we have a lot of nicknames; we have so many that we have nicknames for the nicknames. When my oldest son Andy was just two he couldn't say "David", his interpretation was "Way-Way". That just kind of stuck, so here are a couple of funny (and tender moment) nickname stories about David.

This is an actual phone conversation between me and David a few years ago:

David: "Lelu..."
Me: "Hi David!"
David: "This is your brother!" (didn't I just say "hi
David"?)
Me: "Ohhhh...hi David" (David laughs as he realizes what
he just did).
So forever more, when David calls me we go through this entire routine and when I call him we do the same and we laugh (it happened just yesterday, and since I knew that I'd written this on David's FF I laughed all the harder).

A few years ago David was in the Sunday School Presidency and Jeff was a teacher. I was subbing Jeff's 16-year-old class one Sunday when David came into the room; the conversation went like this:

David: (surprised to see me) "hi Lelu!"
Me: "Hi Way-Way!"
David: "Where's Cubby? (Jeff)
You should have seen the looks on the faces of those teenagers. Priceless.

David is an entertainer. He sings, he acts, he's funny. At our family Christmas party he is the designated emcee each year for the talent show. Several years ago he started the show with an original song about Andy (to the tune of the song Sandy from Grease) it was such a hit that now everyone expects and anticipates a new song from David every year. A few years ago we celebrated the 20th anniversary of the Christmas party and David wrote the song all about me (to the tune of Gaston from Beauty and the Beast), I loved it!! David is a popular performer at Rodgers Memorial Theatre where he does a couple of shows each year. Just two nights ago our family went to watch David and his daughter Chelsea perform in Scrooge, David portrays the Spirit of Christmas Present and he is fab-u-lous!!!


Although David seems very bold and fearless; like the time he stood up in fast and testimony meeting at the back of the church and in a thunderous voice started bearing his testimony as he walked all of the way up the aisle and finished at the pulpit, or the time we were all at Cherry Hill and he stood on the pirate ship and sang in full voice a song from the Pirates of Penzance; he really is a bit shy and very humble. David has a heart of gold and is very tender hearted, he would do anything he could for his family. The day that David was born and his name was given to him, you may as well have attached the words the beloved, because that is just what he is.

Things you may or may not know about my brother David: He loves my cheesecake. He loves the Dodgers. He loves the Penguins. He loves Cadbury Roses. He loves pie. In recent years he's always the last person in the family to see our missionaries, because he works at the airport. When he knocks on my door I always know that it's him. He's an organizer. He has probably already written out a schedule for when his family will watch each Christmas DVD during the season. I always feel at home when I'm in his home. A few years ago he was sitting by me at church, he spent the meeting writing avidly and I thought he was taking notes; he was writing a letter to the Editor. He's always willing to drive to the Dodgers game which makes Mike happy because he dislikes LA traffic. He would babysit Caitlin one day a week when she was a toddler, so that I could work at Leger's. He's always been a good Uncle to my kids. He loves our family. We are truly blessed to have David in our family, every family should be so lucky. We all love him.

David's family: Chelsea, Emily, Derek, David, Rebecca, and Christine

15 comments:

Alan said...

David knows how to live life. In 2003 he and Derek came to visit us in Rocklin. Actually, they were going here to see the Raiders. After all those years since childhood, David was finally going to see them play in person. AJ and I went along for the game. When I told David to look up to the right for his first glimpse of the Oakland Colosseum he immediately stuck a tape into the car stereo (I had no idea this was coming) for his pre-planned ceremony to mark the occasion. Out of the speakers came the dramatic Raiders NFL Films theme song "The Autumn Wind." For full effect copy and past this youtube link to hear the music and imagine the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXj7I1RzLSE&feature=related

It was so David. Then after parking and we reached the stadium, David and Derek, wearing father and son Raider do-rags, spotted one of those scary looking black-hole Raider dudes with the spikes and make-up. David didn't even hesitate to ask for a picture with the creature and handed me the camera. Derek was delighted. I noticed on the trip how much Derek adored his dad. I have since noticed that about all David's kids. David's one of the good guys and I'm proud to be his brother. Happy FF David!

Tiffany said...

When he came and picked Emily up from Megan's party last month, he walked into the house, sat down at the piano and began playing a Charlie Brown song. The girls were delighted. (Not so much my sleeping babies...it was 9:40pm!)
It made us all smile!

Melissa said...

Imagine my shock and relief when I read that David had written a schedule for the nights the fam would watch Christmas DVDs...I have felt like a freak for two weeks because I did that in class the other day. I guess that must be the Marsden in me. Honestly...I thought I was nuts and I haven't told anyone lol.

Uncle David is a great guy. Many of my fondest family memories stem from his antics...like the time we were all on the beach and David started whistling the theme from Chariots of Fire as some runners sprinted by and by the time they reached us on the beach the whole fam was in on it.

I also like his pre-planned ceremony that Uncle Alan talked about...that must be some Marsden thing to because I always have some sort of theme song I listen to (for graduation I'm still narrowing down my options) to pump me up for big events.

Uncle David has a great memory and therefore has lots of great stories to share with everyone. My personal favorite has to be the one I've heard for 24 years...about when he had to miss out on little league because his niece was born lol...that would be me ;)

I'm glad to be a part of his family and think that EVERYONE should have an Uncle David

Stecky said...

Ah yes, 'Daven" as he is known at the Johnson house. We know when he is in the driveway. How can anyone honk a horn that fast? He is an incredible person...just look at those wonderful children of his. I also suggest that everyone see the Spirit of Christmas Present...he steals the show. I feel honored to know him.

Margie said...

David is beloved!! I have always loved being around David and I have known David since he was 6 years old!! Whenever I think of David I get a smile on my face.

David has not only been very generous to invite us, but he has also invited my sisters and parents to come see him perform at Pages Lane. We all love to see David perform!! He is very talented and very entertaining!!

I was lucky enough to have David go to the airport last Feb. and he took a DVD of Sean leaving for Australia. I could tell how "chuft" Sean was to see his Uncle David there to say good-bye! He gave me the gift of being able to see my son and watch his excitement as he boarded the plane for Australia. Whenever I want to get another last look, I can just put that DVD in to play. Thank-you David!!

David is not only a great uncle to all his nieces and nephews but he is also a great dad!! I love to watch how much he loves his children and how much he loves Christine too.

One of the highlights of my year is going to Lesley's Christmas party and watch David emcee and to hear his original song! I even had David sing to me!!

I love you David and I am glad you are my brother!!

Marivic said...

R. Divot is the 4th Marsden I met in person. 1st, Alan of course, then Mom and Dad, then teen-age David. He was sitting on the hood of a car in the driveway waiting for Alan to arrive with his Filipina to be sister-in-law. He always tells the story that I am so short he could not see me behind the hood of Alan's on-coming car. Silly David! I'm short but not that short. I was lying down in the car tired from 16+ hours of flying---hello! But that's why David is endearing. He is a silly teaser and so much fun :-) In our branch of the Marsden fam David is the crazy uncle who sang Pirates of Penzance at Cherry Hills and made everyone go "We don't know him!" as Lesley mentioned, but also the talented one whom Grampa proudly brags about being soooooooo much better than Donny Osmond as "Joseph". Yes, that's our beloved David: super talented, funny, and nice. And best of all nutty. Luv ya David :-)

Lilian said...

What?? How many times do you have to say "beloved?" And saying that "we all loved him from the very start" is kinda presumptious! I don't actually remember the day he was born, I also don't remember loving him from the start. In fact, I resented this being coming into my perfect world and interrupting the peace that existed there in! However, I digress... I was only 4.5 yrs. old at the time.

Okay... okay... I will admit it. I love my baby brother. I may not have loved him from the start, but I can tell you I will love him for all eternity!

This "golden child" who has been with me through it all as a young child and until I got married. He played all sorts of pranks on me and annoyed my friends. Especially the time when Kari and I were laying out on the roof and he took the ladder down. I still loved him through all the years of his obnoxious little brother ways when a boy would come to see me or call me, "IS THIS MIKE THOMAS?"

He's been the best little brother in the world. He's someone my kids look up to and adore. In fact, one of my boys are named after him.

I have so many memories of the fun we've shared when it was just us at home as the two wee-ones.

I DO love you David. Unconditinally. Even if you put 'fings on my kids.

Jeff said...

Daveed has always been a great and fun uncle. Back in the day even though I was just a little guy he was inviting me to play basketball and softball with his friends. We also had many one-on-one games at G&G's house. We will never forget "the shot" or when I broke the window in the carport, I cried, David laughed. We have had many classic matches in football fever as well. I only have two words... no gain. I of course always appreciate David setting up the Dodger game when we go to Cali. We first went when I was 9 years old and we will always remember, after sitting down, looking at the scoreboard and seeing #55 Orel Hershiser was pitching that night. I also look forward to spending his birthday with him next year at Dodger Stadium, as the Dodgers host the Yankees. I always enjoy seeing David on a stage, he is truly an entertainer and have always said that he is the funniest person I know.

Margie said...

Timothy said....I'm glad that David is this week's "FFFG" (family feature friday guy). I have loved David from the very start and he arrived 6 days before my 10th birthday. Once I forgot an assignment or book that I needed for school. I called my Mom from the office and asked her to bring it but I specified that I wanted her to give the item to David so that he could walk it into the room. I was very proud of my baby brother and I wanted to show him off (I was in the 6th grade so he would have been about 18 months old). He came toddling into the class with the book and everybody "oohed" and "aahed" because he was so cute. Now when he walks into a room people just say "ooh he's odd." Just Kidding, I couldn't help that one.

Every family needs a David and I am glad that we have ours. People who know me think I am quite the funny guy and entertainer but I tell them compared to my brother David I am the shy one in my family. In spite of all of his goofing off and occasional overacting (reference to Jim Carrey in "Liar Liar") he has an incredible singing voice and I am certain he could have made quite a career for himself in show business if he had decided to pursue it seriously. His talent never ceases to amaze me.

You are a great brother David and I am grateful that you are such a fantastic Uncle to my kids.

I love you!!

Archie said...

We love David at our house. The girls all love his sense of humor and his special songs at the Christmas party. We especially enjoy going to RMT and watching David in his plays. No matter what David's role, when he comes on stage we just laugh. He has an amazing talent.

David and I go way back. We were roomates in for a couple of years in the room that is now Grandpa's den. David was still in a crib at the time and was learning to say words. He used to (actually still does) call me zazh (your guess is as good as mine on the spelling).

I remember David turned up missing one afternoon. (this is the point where Dad would say "how do you turn up missing?") We looked all over the neighborhood for him. We finally discovered him sleeping under his crib on the floor.

I enjoy when we get together as a family. David and I are both huge Seinfeld fans and we love to tell stories and insert Seinfeld bits in the conversation. From time to time David will text me a line from Seinfeld. Totally cracks me up. I especially enjoyed his texted picture where he said he looked like the uni-bomber.

David is fun to be around and makes those around him happy. That is an amazing quality.

David "your mother was right... you are a good person..."

I love you David.

R. Divot said...

Bless you all for your kind words. Thank you, Leloo, for your fun blog. Hooray!!! Hooray for me!!!

Bea said...

What a great family we have. You all love each other, you all have different qualities and you all glory in each others accomplishments. I love David. When he was a baby everybody wanted to hold him, but in the middle of the night he was all mine. Nowadays and for several years he has "shared" his children with us. :o)
It is great that we have people we associate with who think he is wonderful also and schedule their night at the theatre to see David.

Thanx Lesley, you did it again.

Andy said...

I don't even know where to begin.

Andy said...

Okay, here's one random story that just came to me:

David and I were in Saturday's Warrior together at Pages Lane Theatre. At one point in the play, his character and my character meet. The two share a scene alone on stage that is supposed to be pretty serious. David is supposed to be sketching me, while talking about the meaning of life, and my character is annoyed, but sits for the sketch. Then David asks if I'd like to see the drawing. I say sure, and he holds up a hastily drawn Raiders logo, which in and of itself isn't necessarily hilarious, but at that particular moment, I found it hilarious, but I couldn't laugh my head off immediately. It became a running gag. Every time during that scene David would draw some crazy picture to try and get me to laugh.

Another time when we were in a stake musical together, David wondered if putting a bat symbol on the spotlight would actually make the light look like THE bat symbol (from Batman). So at dress rehearsal, David comes up to me backstage all hush hush and reaches into his pocket as if to pull out some contraband, and in all earnestness presents a tiny paper cutout of a bat, which he later taped to the spotlight. After rehearsal I asked if it worked and he said he took it off the light before he could find out because he was imagining the paper catching fire and blowing up the light lady.

That was fun.

em said...

David has always been funny to me, and has always made me laugh with his jokes and sense of humor.
He has such a beautiful voice, and is a wonderful performer; we love to watch him in plays or at the Christmas party each year!
It's fun to get to know more about David through this post!