Saturday, December 12, 2009

Christmas Traditions

We have many traditions "wrapped" around the Christmas season; the family Christmas party, going to temple square (and hopefully a visit to Crown Burger in the process), watching White Christmas to usher in the season, driving around town to look at lights, breakfast at Granma's and Granpa's on Christmas morning....most of our traditions we share with our friends and family, but we have one tradition that we share with very few; our Christmas visit to the cemetery. Each year this visit takes place on December 12. This is a significant day to our family because on December 12, 1989 my nephew Christopher passed away unexpectedly at the tender age of two years and ten months. It has been twenty years since Christopher's passing, his family live in California and planned to be here today to honor him and place his wreath at his grave themselves, but due to bad weather in the Sierra Nevadas they decided it was better not to come. So Alan and Marivic, this post is for you. We love all five of you, and may "God bless us; everyone".

Uncle Mike carrying Christopher's wreath to the grave

Mike and Granpa clearing the snow away from the two graves

Granpa making sure that everything is as it should be



Daddy clearing off Ashleigh's marker

Granma calling Alan in California to let him know we are at the cemetery

Me and my parents; Granma is talking to Alan on the phone

The surrounding graves are decorated also

A view of the Bountiful Temple from the cemetery; need I say any more

6 comments:

Bea said...

Thanks Lesley, This is the reason we celebrate Christmas, the birth of the Babe who saves us all.
Merry Christmas.

Karalee said...

I love that you still do this. Thank you for this post...you have such a wonderful family!

Alan said...

Thanks Lesley. And thanks to Mike and Mom and Dad. Living away from Utah all these years was not the original plan. It means so much to Marivic and me to have you and Mike taking care of Christopher as you take care of Ashleigh.

Marivic said...

Thank you, Les, Mike and Mom and Dad. My heart is full of things that words cannot say. Just know I love you all, and as much as this is one tradition I wish we never had to do as a family, since we have to I'm glad you are there.

Margie said...

Last year just before Sean left on his mission I went with him to the Bountiful temple. After the temple we went (just the two of us) to the cemetary and I told him stories about his two cousins that he was too young to remember. We sat and cried together. I felt so grateful that the temple was still in view as we spoke about our eternal family. Thanks for sharing this special tradition with us. We love all of you!!

Bonnie and Jim said...

Tender post. Thanks for sharing.