Friday, December 18, 2009

Family Friday: Featuring My Husband Michael

I've posted about my handsome sons, my handsome brothers, my handsome nephews, and my handsome dad...this week I'm posting about "Handsome" (that is what I call him). Mike was born in Ogden nearly 52 years ago. His mother chose his name....Michael Paul. Michael is my favorite male name; I love it. Just for fun I looked it up in the Bible dictionary where it says Who is like God. Paul was the name of Michael's paternal grandfather. Michael is the middle of three children; he has an older brother and a younger sister. When he was a boy his family moved every five years; they started out in Ogden, then moved to Willard, then to Salt Lake, and then came to West Bountiful where he met me. I remember Mike's dad once telling me that wherever they moved Mike always made friends, everyone likes Mike; this is something that I have observed in the nearly 34 years that I've known him.

When I was a Junior in high school I had a recently returned missionary as my seminary teacher, he kept a guitar in class and he played it for us every day. He was engaged to be married and I remember thinking that someday I'd like a husband who could play the guitar for me. A year later I met Mike. When we first started dating he would come over to my house and he would pick up my guitar and start playing it; he played the same song over and over.... "The House of the Rising Sun". I didn't think that he knew any other songs. Boy have times changed. I have watched Mike evolve as a musician over the past 33 years. He has an amazing talent, he's so good! For almost our entire married life Mike has performed with my Dad, most recently he was featured on Dad's new CD recorded last summer, playing the guitar and the banjo. In the 80's we were in a band together, and in 1997 he was in a band that opened one night for Toby Keith (yes...that's the real Toby Keith), and now he is in Endless Summer. He's always willing to share his talent with others whether it's performing or teaching. You may be surprised to know that Mike can't read music.

Michael loves our family and is "well pleased" with our children. As each of our three sons served missions he faithfully wrote letters to them each week. He and Andy play in the band together, Jeff and Jeremy play on a softball team with their Dad, Caitlin is his little princess. He loves our three daughters "in-law" and is grateful for each of them. He is a devoted "Grandpa Bear" to our 5 1/2 grandchildren. His heart has always been very tender when concerning our precious Ashleigh.

Three generations of Leger men: Michael with our three sons and three of our four grandsons

Michael with Caitlin at the Firehole River in Yellowstone

Michael has always been a hard worker. During his early teen years in Salt Lake he mowed lawns, when his family moved to WB he worked at a local produce farm, and then when he was sixteen he went to work for Safeway. The grocery business seemed to be his destiny, he started out as a bagger and now he works as an account manager for a well known food line. Mike works hard and has a good reputation, he is respected by those in his industry. He taught me long ago that you "never burn bridges" and I have seen by his example why you shouldn't, he has been called on more than one occasion by former employers asking him to come work for them again. His work ethic has greatly blessed our family.

Michael loves nature, he particularly loves wildlife and his favorite place to visit is Yellowstone National Park. He can drive along the winding two lane roads of Yellowstone and at the same time point out an animal on the top of a mountain or a bird in the sky, often times naming a species that I've never even heard of. I truly think his "eye" is a gift, it's as if he sees something before it even appears.


Mike always accepts callings and assignments, and he always magnifies whatever he is asked to do. While Mike was serving in the 10th ward Bishopric, occasionally I would see one of David's children walk to the front of the chapel after sacrament meeting to pay their tithing. I was the silent observer on my front row bench as I watched my nieces or my nephew waiting for their turn to give their tithing to Uncle Mike; he always had a big smile and a hug as he accepted their tithing envelope. That scene always warmed my heart. On the Sunday before Mike was released and we moved from the ward, I saw Chelsea, Derek, and Emily all go up to Uncle Mike at once to give him their tithing. He enveloped all three of them in his arms in a group hug, it was a scene so tender to me that I couldn't keep the tears from coming as I watched.

Mike is not a blogger. He reads my blog and loves Family Friday, but by his own admission he does not leave comments. Often times I read my posts to him before posting and usually on Family Friday posts I'll ask him, "tell me about so and so" or "what do you like about so and so" and he immediately has something good to say about everyone. He even shows my blog to people at work, and most recently when a co-worker told Mike that they were going to see Scrooge at Hale Centre Theatre Mike quickly told them not to go see it there but to go to RMT and see his brother-in-law. He then pulled up David's Family Friday post and showed his co-worker the picture of David in his costume.

Things you may or may not know about Michael: He was co-captain of his high school soccer team. He is a certified scuba diver. He is an Eagle Scout. Mike bought his first car for $1.00 from a neighbor, when he sold it the neighbor bought it back for $1.00. He has owned two horses. He owned his own grocery store. Twenty years ago at a ward campout Mike saved the life of our BFF's daughter, she named her firstborn son after Michael which he considered a great honor. Several years ago Michael acquired the nickname "Bear" or "The Bear", it started with Jeff and one of his friends and it seemed to stick. Although he enjoys being a performer, generally he does not like to be the center of attention. He makes me laugh; hard. He's a good son and brother. He cares about others. He honors the Priesthood. He has a firm testimony. He loves the Lord. When in his twenties he averaged three homeruns a game in church softball. Although he loves Yellowstone, it always brings him great pleasure to take me to t'ocean. He is very organized and tidy, if you don't put it back exactly as he had it... he will notice. He always smells good. He's really good at gift giving. He's a Mountain Man. He's just a good person.

Michael's family: Jeremy, Mason, Emily,Michael, Lesley, Zachary,Caitlin, Adam, Kristin, Andy, William, Melissa, Avery, and Jeffrey

Michael is the greatest blessing in my life and he is my best friend forever. We've gone through a lot together.... you could say we've "grown-up" together. He takes care of me and just wants to make me happy. I'm so grateful that he is in our family and I know that the rest of you are too. We all love him! Love you Handsome.

That's my Mikee

17 comments:

Alan said...

I was in the 8th grade when Mike became my brother in-law. But he's actually always been just like a brother... a big brother. When I was about 14 he called me up one day to tell me he was going to go look at some Jeeps because he's always wanted a Jeep. He asked me if I'd like to come along. Heck yeah! I often remember that day, just Mike and me going to a few different places to check out Jeeps for sale. He's also been a fantastic uncle to my kids who have always loved him. Eventhough the five and a half year age difference between us has narrowed substantially since I was 14, I have always looked up to Mike and still do. Happy FF Mike!

Tiffany said...

What a great guy! I love the relationship you and Mike have together. I always tell my Mike we need to be like the Legers someday. Although, from talking to you over the years, I realize we are quite similar in many ways.

I have two favorite 'memories' of Mike that I'll spare the details publicly, when I was helping you in your new house, and he made a loud declaration that he told me not to repeat; "We own a lot of ....stuff" the other was when I was helping put your dishes away and you made an INNOCENT comment about what he likes, but it didn't come out right...

My least favorite memory of him is him calling me to be the Gospel Doctrine teacher.....

So happy to know you guys!

Bea said...

I have known Michael a LONG TIME!!!!
You have done a fantastic job of 'writing him up". He is tender and compassionate and a hard worker.
I will put into writing (for posterity) a story the family is all familiar with. When you and Michael were courting, he arrived on our doorstep promptly at 7pm EVERYNIGHT, and left promptly at 10pm. When the neighbors got an invite to the wedding the husband asked his wife, "who is she marrying? the kid that lives on the curb?" yes she did and is still here to tell the tale. Thanks for sharing Michael with us through the years. And here's to eternity!!!!

Lilian said...

Mike is BY FAR my most favorite brother-in-law! Just like Alan said, he has become my brother. I love his laugh! And I love his devotion to family. All of us. He once went to one of my boys' 4th grade class to talk about Mountain Men and then was there to help present Taylor with his Arrow of Light.

I can't really remember too many times that Michael was not in my life. Especially since I was in the 3rd grade when we met.

Love you Mikey!

Melissa said...

This is the first FF that I can't really put into words the things I feel about Uncle Mike. All I can say is that Uncle Mike is one of the greatest people I know. He is lovable and Christlike and selfless. He set the light, fun mood at our wedding and people talked about Endless Summer and how much fun they made the wedding for a year! He is talented and gives love freely to everyone. He is a great Uncle and I sure love him!

Archie said...

I'll try to keep this short, but not sure how. I love Mike. Les has always been an awesome big sister, but when Mike came along I finally had a big brother.

Mike and I have done many things together. We've camped, played softball together and hunted deer together. I can honestly say that no deer were ever harmed as a result of Mike and I hunting, but we have some great stories.

I especially enjoy golfing with Mike every chance I can get. I've gone out many times with Mike, Jeff and Jeremy and we all have a great time.

I bought my first two cars from Mike. First a 1968 Chevy Chevelle for $300.00 dollars. I wish I still had that car, and I'll bet Mike does too. Then I bought Mike's 1974 Mustang II. Mike's owned a lot of cool vehicles.

My four girls all love Mike. He treats them with respect, always takes time to chat with them and loves to tease about boyfriends and stuff. As a family we enjoy watching Endless Summer perform, or anytime Mike, Dad and Andy peform in one of their many talented configurations. Mike always greets us with a hug.

I can say sincerely that Mike has been a role model for me since I met him. His love of others, service to others and genuine good nature continually inspire me to strive to be better person.

I Love You Mike!

archie

adrienne said...

I loved this post about Mike. It was so sweet it made me tear up! I am so amazed by how much love you guys have for each other.

Margie said...

What a beautiful and deserving tribute you have paid to Mike. As long as I can remember since I have known the family, it has always been Mike & Les. The two names go together as one.

I have always loved Mike. Right from our very first date, you two were there. Mike is the type of person that lights up a room when he enters. He is always so friendly and goes out of his way to reach out to others and give them a warm welcome. He has always been a wonderful uncle to all of our children. They know that their Uncle Mike loves and cares about them. He has always been good to encourage them too.

Like Melissa, I will always be grateful that Endless Summer was so generous to perform at Melissa & Adam's wedding reception. Melissa wanted her reception to feel like a big party. They brought that element that we needed to make it so special. It will always be a special memory for me.

Mike (and Les) have always been so generous with us too. I remember a few times in high school when Tim didn't have a car to drive and Mike let him use his car to drive to Salt Lake so he could take me on a date.

I have always admired Mike's hard work and his work ethic too.

Mike is an awesome man and I am so glad that I know him!!

Marivic said...

Mike is one of the most generous persons I know. He is generous with his time, his resources and his affection. He is a wonderfully fun uncle. When Tara and AJ were little they broke out into the biggest smiles of delight just by seeing uncle Mike walk into the room. I have always been impressed by Mike's humility. The Mike I know is always self-effacing and never boastful. I'm glad I have the chance to be in the same extended family as Mike and be blessed by his example.

Melwel said...

ahhhhh....thanks for sharing

Andy said...

I am so grateful everyday that I am Mike Leger's son.

Stecky said...

Perfect!

Tara said...

I LOVE Uncle Mike!

I've noticed over the years that as each grandchild gets older, they start to get treated a bit differently by the family, as the younger ones start to demand their attention with their cuteness. But I was very happy at the family beach house trip this year when Uncle Mike gave me a BIG bear hug; I know he still really loves me and my brother, even if we aren't cute toddlers anymore.

This blog did a great job of summing up how awesome and talented he is, I love you Uncle Mike and Auntie Lesley!

Jeff said...

I remember growing up and going to all of my dad's softball games. It really is cool for me now to play with him on the same team. I'm not going to say that he still averages 3 homeruns a game(he might be more famous now for turning triples into singles),but I can guarantee he is the best +50 year old in the league. One highlight from this last season was when we were tied with two outs in the last inning. Our power hitter was coming up, and the other team intentionally walked him, I assume to pitch to the older guy. Wrong decision. Bear ripped a single right up the middle for the game winning hit. Thanks for still playing Dad and I look forward to next season.

R. Divot said...

Michael Paul. What a guy. My first memories of Mike are him taking me up by the "V" in his white pick-up, smacking his leg as I sat next to him on our couch when he visited (I guess I wanted his attention) and him giving me a Moon Pie at his log cabin house on 1100 west (and then Dr. Pepper to wash it down....eewwwwww!). A sweet man in every respect. Thanks to him for everything he has brought into our lives. WALK-OFF!!!

Margie said...

Timothy said....

It was my honor to be the first one in the family to know Mike. Lesley mentioned that he worked at a produce farm; that was Max and Grace Kerr's place and that is where I met Mike. I remember asking Kenny Clyde "who is that guy with Joe Kerr?" I could tell from afar that Mike was a cool guy.

Later that summer Mike came out to play church softball with us and I got to know him better at practice and in the games. Then he started paying attention to my sister.

One day as I arrived home from school there was Mike with his horse in our driveway. As I walked up Mike said "you want to take my horse for a ride?" Holy cow he was the coolest dude I have ever met!!!! Before you know it he was showing up every night with a sixpack of Dr. Pepper and a bag of Sour Cream and Onion potato chips.

Mike has always been so generous. He let me take his Willie's Jeep once in a while (I think only he and I knew how to start it) and he also freely lent me his El Camino which was totally decked out with mags and glass packs (too bad such a fast car did not have a working speedometer). He let me live with them in Bridgeland while I worked in Duschene. He hooked me up with a job at Safeway and it was Mike that arranged for me to work as a night manager at Dick's Market. That was the best job!!

I love Mike; he is such a great brother. I have countless memories and they are all good. Thanks Mike for everything you have done for me and my family. You are an awesome person!!!!! Thanks for your great example of love, acceptance, humility, generosity, righteousness, and hard work.

I am so blessed to have an association with you. I am glad it is eternal.

em said...

Jeremy has his dad's tender heart, his love for people, and the same trait of loving and protecting his family members. In our early days of dating, I recognized these traits in Mike, saw them in Jeremy, and knew that Jeremy would be such a wonderful husband and father one day because of the example he had from his father and from watching his dad take care of his family. I'm so proud to have Mike as my father-in-law, and always feel so much love from him. He is so playful with the grandkids and always takes time to laugh with Mason, make Mason laugh, or just watch the funny little things he does.
I love the Bear's "protective side," and remember a time while Jer and I were dating that Mike stood up for me. haha Jeremy and I were at Crossroads mall and we were in a candy store getting some candy. The employee was so rude to us for no reason, and I can't remember the full story now, but when we got back to the Leger's home, we shared the story with Mike and Lesley. Mike said, "That's it, what's the name of the store?" He went to the phone book, looked up the number, called and talked to the guy, and put him in his place! I remember he called US, his "kids," and I felt all cool thinking that even though Jeremy and I were just dating, that one day I would be his "kid," too. :)
Mike is always so happy and has a twinkle in his eye when he smiles. He is so warm, genuine, humble, kind and sweet, and has such a good heart. I'm very blessed to have him as my father-in-law and loved reading this post about him.