Friday, December 4, 2009

Family Friday: Featuring My Niece Ammanda


During the duration of "Family Friday" I have found my families blogs and facebook accounts to be great resources for lifting photos to use. This was the case as I went to my niece Ammanda's facebook account where she had well over 200 pictures to choose from. You would be surprised at how much thought goes into the pictures that I choose each week and I knew that I couldn't look at all of Ammanda's pictures, but as I skimmed over the tiny (facebook size) photos I caught glimpses of Ammanda and her family, Ammanda and her friends, Ammanda on vacation, at graduation, at college, goofing around...you get the idea. It was fun to see these brief glimpses of Ammanda's life and what she loves. She is a beautiful and happy young woman and I enjoy having her as my niece.

Ammanda was born on December 14, 1988 to my brother Archie and my sister-in-law Julee. She was the eighth grandchild and the third granddaughter. Ammanda is the eldest of three sisters; each of their names start with the letter A, they all have Ann as a middle name (like their Mom), and they all have double letters in their names. When Ammanda was a baby I occasionally had the opportunity to babysit her when her babysitter went on a vacation. That was fun for Ashleigh who was just about a year and a half older than Ammanda. For several years Mike, Caitlin, and I went to Questar Lagoon day with Ammanda's family. Ammanda and her sisters were always so cute with Caitlin, each one wanting to sit with her on the rides. Ammanda is an enthusiastic young lady, I remember Archie telling me once that he sometimes would call her "Lesley" when she was younger because she occasionally reminded him of me, probably because Ammanda and I both enjoy talking and we both have a zest for life.

Ammanda with her sisters Alyssa and Aubree

Ammanda has impressed me in many ways. She graduated with an Associates degree from Salt Lake Community College a month before she graduated from high school. She has attended SUU since high school graduation and she spent time doing a job where she helped hearing impaired people with telephone communication. For the past four and a half months Ammanda has been in China teaching children how to speak English (and learning a little bit of their language too). What an amazing experience for her to have. She has also been able to do some traveling while in China. I look forward to hearing about her experiences when she returns in two weeks.

Some things to know about Ammanda: She loves to wear hats, and she looks really cute in them. She plays the violin. She likes going to Disneyland. She has a beautiful smile. She loves her family. When she was a little girl, she and her sisters often dressed alike. She's tidy. She has a quick wit. She's a sharp dresser. She's fun to be around. She's smart. I have vacationed with Ammanda and her family in Yellowstone and in California. It was a priority to Ammanda to be home in time for the Christmas party (Yes!!). We are all so grateful that Ammanda is in our family and we love her (and we're looking forward to her being back in the USA).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love my sister Ammanda! She has led a good example for both Aubree and myself and I miss her greatly as she is traveling the world. Whenever I was assigned Ammanda's past teachers in school, they would always smile when my name was called and would say, "your ammanda's sister, this year will be fun" It always fillde my heart with joy to hear that people loved her and her sparkling personality. Mr. Wall might be the exception because he read my name with anxiety...jk ammanda!We've always shared the same friends too. I'm so proud to be her sister.

Bea said...

Ammanda! her very name brings a smile to my face and joy to my heart. I know we are in for a good time when she is around. We stopped in Cedar City one day to have lunch with her, that was a lot of fun. She does have a flair about her with her hats and her bags. The day we saw her in Cedar she was carrying a bag that was almost as big as her, I think it was orange. Nothing mild for Ammanda. We too are anxious for her return from China. What adventures she has had. Love you Ammanda, and love you Lesley for your great posts.

Margie said...

I am so proud of Ammanda. I will never forget when she was graduating from High School and I found out at that time she was also graduating with her Associates degree. That is a BIG DEAL! I have also been impressed as her sisters have followed her example.

I love what close sisters the Marsden girls are. I love how they listen so well and finish each other sentences when they tell a story. I love Ammanda's fashion flair and her self confidence. Ammanda is a hard worker and very self disciplined.

I have been so happy to hear about some Ammanda's adventures in China and I'm excited to hear many more. We all have something to look forward to this Christmas as we listen to the words "I'll be home for Christmas!! I love you Ammanda.

Archie said...

JuLee says.....
Ammanda, I Love you. You are my Joy. I am so proud to be your mom. I bet I have learned more from you than you from me....I am looking so forward to you coming home from China. I am so excited for you to graduate from SUU college soon. I love to hear about all your adventures from school, China and your jobs. I miss you not being here but I love you living your life. You have a beautiful soul, keep flying on your angle wings and reaching for heaven.
With All My Love,Mom.

Lilian said...

Ammanda is so much fun. She definitelyl has a great personality! I look forward to seeing her in a few weeks!

Margie said...

Uncle Tim said....

Ammanda is awesome and every time I see here I just want to crack up. She has an infectious smile and a great sense of humor (essential for a Marsden). I am very proud of her going to China and having this adventure.

I love telling stories to Ammanda because she really gets into them. I love her sense of fashion which is so unique and fresh. Thanks for being such a great niece and for laughing at my jokes (even the eye rolls are good; at least you respond to my humor).

Love, Uncle Tim

Archie said...

Aubree Says:
I've always looked up to Ammanda for help with homework,or by admiring her fashion sense. She tells great stories and we laugh about many movie lines together. Being around her is fun and exciting.
Ammanda Rule!

Archie said...

We shared this blog with Ammanda. She was excited to be featured on Family Friday.

Ammanda loves spending time with the family as is really looking forward to seeing everyone soon.

It's an amazing experience when your children grow up to be adults. I enjoy having conversations with Ammanda. She is open and honest and I'm so proud that she will share her feelings with me and Julee.

Ammanda is incredibly bright. She's a hard worker and a loyal friend. She has a strong faith in Jesus Christ and genuinely cares aobut the thoughts and feelings of others.

Ammanda is one of my four guardian angels on this earth and I love her with all my heart.