This picture was taken shortly before my Dad left Ireland for America in June of 1962, it is the classic of classics. Timothy would celebrate his 1st birthday and I would celebrate my 4th (both without Dad) shortly after this picture was taken, Archie was 2 1/2. We wouldn't be together again as a family for 4 long months.While in America, Dad worked hard to earn the money to bring the rest of us here. Mom worked hard in Ireland taking care of three children, selling and giving away her belongings (she came with only a couple of suitcases), and making arrangements to come to America. In October Mom traveled alone with three young children, not only by plane to New York, but across the country by train; the California Zephyr. The next time you see the replica of the California Zephyr in California Adventure... think of my Mom traveling across the country with her three small children; all alone. In 1962 there was no e-mail or cell phones for texting, and long distance was very expensive (no phone company packages with free long distance back then). Mom and Dads only communication was through the postal service, they had lots of details to work out and it all had to be done through "snail mail". The first time they heard each others voices during that four month period, was a few days before Mom and the children arrived in Salt Lake.
I hope my Dad doesn't mind me sharing a line from his personal history that I always apply to this particular picture... a taxi came to take me to the airport. The pain of leaving my little family cut deep into my heart. I hugged them and kissed them, got into the taxi and as I looked back I saw my Trixie with Timothy in her arms and my little Lesley and Archie and I can never describe the heaviness of my heart at this time. All of a sudden their faces vanished as we turned the corner and now it was just me and the taxi driver.
Several years ago I had copies of this picture made for me, Archie and Tim. Although we are too young to remember all of the details that our parents have shared with us over the years, I hope we, nor our posterity's (or our siblings and their posterity's), will ever forget the circumstances under which we were brought here, nor the sacrifices made on our behalves so that we could grow up in America.
Love you mom and Dad... you are the best!!
5 comments:
Wow, that journal entry has me all teary eyed. Thanks for sharing.
Dad and mom are awesome. They had to have exercised great faith to put themselves through that separation in order for our family to live in the United States.
I have actually thought of that California Zephyr every time I've visited California Adventure. Too bad it won't be there much longer.... if they haven't already moved it :-(
The California Zephyr still comes through Rocklin, CA every day. And if you want to see the olden days version (.i.e. 1962ish) visit the California Railroad Museum in Old Sacramento. I know someone who works across the street from it :)
And I can’t imagine going through what Mom and Dad went through to come to America. Obviously the California Zephyr isn’t exactly like pulling handcarts, but the separation and the uncertainty and the occasional fear must have been overwhelming at times and a lot to experience for such young people. Thanks Mom and Dad.
What a sweet and amazing story of faith and determination. I remember Tim sharing this story as part of a sharing time in primary the year I met him.
Your parents are incredible people. I have always cherished any opportunity to see and visit with them. Thanks for sharing this experience and the wonderful photo!
Neat story, I got all teary-eyed too. You have wonderful parents. Even though my parents brought four children and moved to America too--our circumstances were so much different. Although it still took faith and determination! Glad we're both here!!!
Post a Comment