THE MEMBERS of Endless Summer during a recent local concert. Jenniffer Wardell 09.OCT.08
WEST BOUNTIFUL — This time of year, it takes music to give people one last taste of summer.Endless Summer, a Beatles and Beach Boys tribute band that has played at several local events, will now be taking the stage for a free concert on Oct. 10 at 7 p.m. at the West Bountiful City Hall (550 N. 800 West). The performance, which is part of the city art council’s free monthly concert series, will feature a more acoustic, “unplugged” sound on several well-known classics.
“We’ll slow down some of their more driving songs a little and change some of the artistic bits,” said Mike Leger, a member of the group. “That way, it won’t blow out anybody’s eardrums, but it’ll still be fun for the whole family.”
Though the concert will feature numbers from other performers — Bob Dylan’s “Mr. Tambourine Man” will be on the list — the heart of the music will center around the Beach Boys and the Beatles. Numbers such as “Surfer Girl,” “Hawaii,” “Help,” and “This Boy” will all definitely be making an appearance.
“In ‘Hawaii,’ we take the drums out and replace them with conga drums,” said Leger. “It’s probably my favorite Beach Boys song.”
The group, which also includes Doug Vandegrift, Kevin Stevenson, Andy Leger and Brandon Williams, have been playing together in their current incarnation for more than five years.
“We started out as a group called the Cavern Club, and we just played Beatles music,” said Leger. “Then we decided to expand a little, and ended up doing an informal survey for another well-known band from that era.
“Everyone we talked to said they loved the Beach Boys.”
It’s that connection to the music that keeps the group playing, and will hopefully keep people dancing in the aisles.
“Everyone from small children to older adults love these songs,” said Leger. “They never go out of style.”
6 comments:
Great article!
I'm sorry we didn't come to the concert at city hall. I don't feel good tonight and am in need of some major sleep. But, I still love ya.... MEAN IT!!
Wooo-hooo! I know famous people! The WB media even interviewed them! Here comes the paparazzi! How neat!
Great article on Mr. Leger and the band. Thanks for sharing, Les!
Great concert, as always!
We got to bring one of Alex and Morgan's friends along this time. He liked it too.
I'm so sorry I read this too late. We would have come down. Oh well, next time. I bet it was great!
How fun that your musical family is famous! Some day when my kids are a little older we'll have to come to a concert or another musical like les mis! For now we all just sing in the shower and put on our own musicals...
I wish I'd have known, maybe I would have gone. OK, honestly I probably wouldn't have that night. Mike was at a scout camp and I was cold and ornery and would not have wanted to chase Joshua!
When are we going to lunch!? I was going to call you tonight, but I bet you're at your rehersal.
Post a Comment