I'm going to start out this Family Friday with a question: do all of you agree with me, that I have the handsomest nephews ever!?! So far you've seen Adam, Sean, Jacob, and now Derek. And I have more!Derek has lived in the same neighborhood as me since he was just a little guy of about 3 years old. I have loved having his family live nearby. I also enjoy being the aunt of the handsomest boy in our ward.
A few years ago Derek started to play the guitar. Last year at Uncle Mike's 50th birthday bash he performed with Uncle Mike's band, in front of lots of people. One Sunday morning a few years ago, he found a guitar pick lying in the parking lot as he arrived at church. We had just held our family Christmas party at the church the night before and Derek knew that that pick belonged to Uncle Mike. We were sitting in our usual bench on the front row when Derek came into the chapel and handed the pick to Uncle Mike explaining to him that he had found it. Uncle Mike said, "you can keep it buddy." I remember the big smile on Derek's face as he pocketed the pick.
I mentioned in last weeks Family Friday that Derek and Jacob have been best buds since they were just little guys.
I showed a picture of them at the beach that was taken several years ago, this beach picture was taken on our trip last week. Just over a year ago Derek turned 12 years old and received the Priesthood. I was in the Bishops office when he was ordained a Deacon and received a beautiful blessing from his father; my brother David. I felt a strong impression at that moment, that when Derek sat down he was a boy of twelve; but when he stood up he was a young man who now held the Priesthood. I remember wondering if Derek understood the importance of this moment, and could he appreciate the blessing that he had received and the responsibilities that were now his. After his ordination we all immediately left to go to my nephew Alan's missionary farewell in Kaysville. The chapel in Kaysville was large, and was filled to overflowing. There weren't enough Deacons to pass the sacrament, so Derek was recruited by his cousin Jacob to help. He hadn't even held the Priesthood for 2 hours and he was willing to serve immediately, I think he did understand.
Things to know about Derek: He is the only boy in his family, girls love him (you can see why), he has a tender heart, he plays the trumpet in his school band, he fulfills his Priesthood responsibilities, he's very likable, out of 23 grandchildren Derek is one of only three boys that can carry on the family name, ever since Derek was little he and Uncle Mike have had a "finger snapping thing", he's a good boy. I'm so grateful that we have Derek in our family. We love you Derek.
Derek's family: Derek, Christine, Emily, David, Rebecca, Chelsea
7 comments:
Derek is a fun kid! He and Jacob have been "best Buddies" forever and I'm sure will continue to be. The other day I logged into Facebook while I was at work. Out of the blue Derek started to 'chat' with me. I thought me might be asking for something and wondered if he was in need of anything. Nope. He was just saying hi and telling me about his day. And Yes, I would agree that you have some very handsome nephews!
I have always been impressed with Derek. He is always so friendly and kind when he sees Megan. That was especially a big deal last last school year when he was a big 6th grader, and Megan just in 3rd. But, even since then he's always friendly with Megan. Very nice boy!
How fun to read about Derek since I know him, but don't really know him! How does he like being the only boy? I only have one brother, but he has five sisters to deal with and has kind of turned into a mute around us because we talk so much.
Derek is a very very handsome young man. And yes I do agree with you that you have the handsomest nephews ever. I love this picture of Derek!! It could be on the cover of a magazine. He is always very nice to his Aunt Margie and I appreciate it. His Uncle Tim had a lot of self confidence and charm too. If Derek wants my advice, it would be stay out of Dracula's Castle for the next few years!! You are adorable Derek!!
I am honored that the picture I took of Derek was chosen as the best picture to show off what a handsome boy he is! :-) I am really impressed by Derek. And very glad that he immediately hit it off with Tara and AJ at the beach and had so much fun hanging out together even after years of being physically apart.
Derek is awesome...he seems a LOT older than a 13 year old boy. And aside from sharing grandparents and the fact that our dads are brothers we have a lot in common. For example, he just became a fan of "I need more money" on facebook. I'm also a fan of I need more money.
It is interesting that you have the most handsome nephews because I know I have the best looking grandchildren ever. :o)and Derek definately falls into both those categories. He is a good son and brother and friend, and I just found out he LOVES to mow the lawn. So if anyone needs help in that area, call Derek.
Post a Comment