Friday, June 12, 2009

Family Friday: Featuring My Nephew Jacob

Several years ago the musical Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat became a big hit with me. I'm sure that everyone is familiar with the song Jacob and Sons, so....with that tune firmly planted in your heads read (or sing) the next line. JACOB....JACOB'S THE ONE!! Jacob's the one featured on Family Friday this week.

Jacob was born on October 3, 1995. He is the only one of my sister's five sons that I wasn't at the hospital anxiously awaiting his birth, I was on my way to DISNEYLAND (Jake loves Disneyland)!! Jacob came early and I think he scared everyone a bit. But today he is a healthy, happy, and full of life 13-year-old.

One of the things that I love about Jacob is the big hug that I get from him every time I see him. I always feel like he is happy to see me. He is also very funny and makes me laugh. He recently told a story that kept me laughing for a long time after he told it. He was at a scout overnighter and had just settled in his sleeping bag for the night when something kept scratching at his head from outside of his tent. He thought that it was some of the other scouts goofing off. Well, it turns out that it was actually a wild animal (a fox) that was scratching Jacobs head. I was amazed that that had happened, when I asked Jacob what did he do when he realized that it was an animal, Jacob said that he just told it "a little to the left", as he told the story he moved his head a little to demonstrate where he wanted the fox to scratch. I laughed so hard.

Jacob loves all of his family. He and his cousin Derek are the same age and have been best buds since they were toddlers. They have always been inseparable at family gatherings and on family vacations (as you can see from this picture at the beach house). Sometimes when they were little and were together you had to look twice to be sure who was who.

Some interesting things to know about Jacob: He plays the trombone in his Jr. High band, he was born on the day of OJ Simpson's famous verdict, he likes Sponge Bob, he's popular among his peers, he likes video games and movies, he has a tender heart, he's a good son and brother, he honors the Priesthood, he's a good student, Uncle Mike says he's a GREAT kid!! Jacob is a blessing to our family and we all love him.

Jacob's family in 2006: Lilian, Alan, Jacob, Taylor, Michael, Russell, Cory

8 comments:

adrienne said...

I love the story about the fox! Most kids would probably freak out once they realized it was a wild animal.

Margie said...

Jacob, what a stud you are. I love the fox story too. It was fun being at the beach with you this week. I loved watching you play smash ball with Tim at the beach too. You were GOOD!

Lilian said...

Jacob is definitely one of my favorite kids. He is very tenderhearted and is also quite unselfish. He is the last one to ever complain and if/when he does, he is justified. I love that kid and it's a PLEASURE being his mom!

Alan said...

It's true. Jacob has always been a warm and friendly boy. He's always greeted me when I see him which always makes me feel good.

em said...

Jacob IS a great kid! I have been so impressed with how much he cares about Jeremy, me and Mason! He is always giving hugs, and loves to talk to us (it makes us feel important since we think we're old and boring now ;). He is so helpful with Mason and played so nicely with him at the beach house this last week. He is an exceptional young man! It's fun to know a few of these things that we didn't know about Jacob!

Little GrumpyAngel said...

At the beach I was able to observe Jacob more and I think he is a wonderful boy. He was very gentle and caring towards the younger kids, warm and friendly to the older relatives and always had something funny to say. I LIKE Jacob.

Bea said...

This is from Granpa
He is solid as a rock, he has a wonderful sense of humor which is natural, and makes me laugh all the time. I enjoy this. He thinks things through, He honors his priesthood and serves the Lord. He is genuine and sincere. And his Granpa loves him. :o)

Bea said...

I like Jacob. I remember the day he was born and the concern we had for him. He is everything that is good and more. He is a good friend and brother.