Monday night Mike and I dropped Caitlin off at BHS to board a bus bound for the Pacific Northwest; specifically Seattle and Canada. She has anticipated this Senior trip for the entire school year. I have also anticipated this week; it was a trial run for Mike and I as empty nester's. After we dropped Caitlin off at the school, we stopped by my parents on our way home (how funny that we ran right back to "the nest"). My brother Alan was there and was heading back to California the next morning, so we wanted a "last chance visit". The rest of the week has been busy with work and commitments for both of us.
Tuesday night Mike did band stuff and I went to dinner with a couple of friends. It was so much fun, I do love "girls night out". Thanks to Tiffany I remembered to bring home some dinner for Mike (he was very grateful).
Wednesday night Mike was at the church fulfilling his calling and I stayed home to do household projects (that I didn't do).
Mike and I both serve on our cities arts council, and so on Thursday night we went to our monthly meeting. Afterwards we went to a wedding reception.
On Friday night our extended family performed at our cities monthly concert series. This means multi-tasking for Mike as the one-who-runs-the-sound-equipment for the city, guitar player, singer, set-up and take-down... and still be Mr. Congeniality.
And now here it is Saturday afternoon. Caitlin is on her way home (won't be home 'til way, way late). I haven't cleaned the house all week, hardly washed any clothes, didn't cook one meal (did lots of food prep at work). Mike's asleep and watching golf (that's a little tricky) and I'm on my way downstairs to finish Wednesday projects.
We did go to work everyday. Mike's job has been very busy, and my job... very busy. Mike and I have been recording/watching the 8-part mini-series "The Kennedy's" late every night after our meetings, dinners, callings, rehearsals... we're looking forward to the final episode tomorrow night. We did eat out/take out a little much this week... we won't be able to do that when we are real empty nester's. I think we'll get along just fine when it's just the two of us... but we are looking forward to having Rosie back home. I just have one question. Does anyone know of a different term other than empty nester's? 'Cause you know... NESTS!!!
5 comments:
Your little Chick-a dee did Great.... I know how you love bird references and raisins. Good luck on the empty house next year. Good thing you like Mike.
I don't know about empty nesters, I have yet to experience that syndrome :o) Thank goodness !!!
It is just that the house is sometimes more quiet than others :o)
How about Alumni?
I could come up with an alternate name, but I won't put the suggestions here. It has to do with what we laughed about as you got out of the car the other night....
You'll do the empty-nester thing just fine-you and Mike like to be together. And that's probably the number one thing you need to succeed!
And yes, I'll take the credit for Mike getting more than cold cereal that night. ;)
I love our girls' night outs! They are some of my favorite things =).
It sounds like your trial run was busy! My empty-nest is so far away I can't even imagine. Just one more reason to stress about the "decisions" I still have to face. =)
Post a Comment