In answer to the question in the title of this post... NOT ME. I love nature. I love beautiful yards filled with trees and flower beds, shrubs and stone walkways. I love seeing pots and hanging planters filled with perennials and annuals throughout the summer (hey... at least I know those terms AND the differences between them), as well as tulips and daffodils creeping up from the ground in the spring. But alas, my thumb is as pink as it can be.We are preparing to put in a yard... from the dirt up. Mike has moved rocks, sprayed weeds, plowed dirt, raked dirt... and then done it all again. Archie (thanks Arch) has come over and designed a sprinkling system with Mike; our friend Mike (thanks Mike) came over and designed a wonderful layout for us.
I'm nervous. As long as it sits there undone, we can dream of how beautiful it will be; but the minute we start to put it together, reality will set in. What if we do it wrong? What if our lawn isn't thick and healthy? What if we buy trees and they die? What if, what if...
Well I took a baby step and planted daffodil bulbs. My friend Paula (who has TWO green thumbs and a beautiful yard) brought these bulbs to the "Favorites Party" last fall and Caitlin's name was drawn out. Being a teenage girl, she was happy to trade her daffodil bulbs for a ring I received when my name was drawn out. So here they are. I planted them in the winter (Paula said I could) and they bloomed. I've watched them and thrilled over them every step of the way.
We just need to take a few more of those baby steps. Our friend Mike had a 5-year plan for his yard (which is beautiful by the way). So right now (year 1/5) our plan is sprinklers and grass, and weather permitting we'll be moving forward right away.
As I'm siting here typing, I think I'm noticing a slight hint of green on the tip of my left thumb. I think our yard may turn out to be just fine.
5 comments:
it will !!!!!
you did great in the past!!!!
I still don't have a pretty yard :-( Yours will be great!
Please come and help yourself to any of my plants when you are ready. Good luck Les!
Your Mike talked to my Mike yesterday, I think he is coming over to your house Wednesday evening....
I'm so happy you enjoyed your daffodils!
Post a Comment