Monday, June 13, 2011

Michael McLean

The summer of 1991 was by far the hardest and most challenging time of my life. The uncertainty and fear of what was ahead, as well and the grief and pain that was in my heart and soul seemed to consume my life.

It was during the fall and winter months previous to that summer twenty years ago, that I was first introduced to the music of Michael McLean. A simple cassette tape that I listened to daily as I drove to radiation therapy, brought comfort to this young mother's mind and heart, even if for just a few minutes each day.

Later in the summer, a home healthcare nurse loaned me a video tape of Michael singing his own music to a small audience. I enjoyed listening to him singing his own songs... although he claimed he was not a singer; I loved hearing him sing the songs he wrote. You're Not Alone, Hold On, We Can Be Together Forever Someday, all brought a sense of comfort to me as I sat there "holding on" to whatever hope I could that would get me through this experience.

Nearly twenty years have passed and I have held in the recesses of my heart my memories of Michael's music and the peace it brought to me when I needed it. At a time when I was scared and sometimes felt alone, his music reminded me that I wasn't.

Tonight I was able to see Michael McLean perform in person and the memories flooded back to me. After the concert (with persuasion from my Michael) I went up to meet him. It took a lot of courage for me to do that, but I was compelled to do so, and was glad that I did. I was able to tell him how much his music had meant to me twenty years ago and I thanked him. He was genuinely touched and appreciative that I had shared with him and he gave me a hug.

Thanks to Murphy's Guitars for providing such a wonderful free concert for the community and to Michael McLean for sharing his amazing talent.

4 comments:

AnJ. said...

Aren't you glad you went up to talk to him instead of kicking yourself for not doing it?

What a great story. Thanks for sharing it. We love his music.

Tiffany said...

SO glad you went up and met him! Yay for your Mike for helping persuade you. Fun to see you there--and we're doing a double date in December... right?

Lilian said...

Awesome Les!!

BobN said...

Michael is great (your Michael also). For me it is his adoption-related songs and Forgotten Carols that touch me the most. I like many of the tracks on his "Michael Sings McClean" better than the original singers' renditions. Glad his songs gave you comfort when you needed it.