1. Waking up each morning to the sound of the waves, and realizing that I'm still at the beach

2. Mikee and I going on our walk down Beach Road every morning (except Disnneyland day)
3. Granma's Ulster Fry
4. Driving down I-5 and getting my first glimpse of t'ocean
5. Lots of palm trees
6. Pick Up Stix

7. Family talent show
8. Mr. Roboto
9. "We're here for the week!"
10. Buying ice-cream cones and walking on the pier
11. Jeremy's strangulated two wood
12. Eating at the Fisherman Restaurant on the pier
13. Lilian sharing her favorite ice-cream with us (and serving it to us while we're sitting lazily on the beach)
14. Buying Michael Teryle a treat one year, and being reminded of it every year ever since (I think it is a tradition now)
15. Lying on my stomach on my beach towel, and feeling the ocean breeze move over my back
16. Glimpses of Catalina Island

17. Looking for Grunions at midnight
18. The hokey pokey
19. Dutch oven dinners, BBQ's, and bon fires
20. Going to Disneyland
21. David missing the Disneyland parking lot tram as he ran while pushing Emily in the stroller, the rest of the family were on the tram ("we'll wait for you!")
22. Walking as far down the beach as possible and then back
23. Rocks

24. Gathering seashells
25. Jeremy telling his big brothers that he couldn't go swimming in t'ocean because "...shark's are attracted to yellow." He was 5 years old and wearing a yellow swimsuit.
26. peanut butter..."and jelly?"
27. Kids buried up to their necks in the sand
28. The big log that washed ashore and kept the kids occupied all week long
29. KFC on the beach
30. Going to the movies in San Clemente
31. Dolphins

32. Toe rings (not for me) and ankle bracelets (for me)
33. "When are we going to the store Trix?"
34. Eating Lilian's famous salad while sitting on a beach chair looking out at t'ocean
35. Being called to "come on down..." on The Price Is Right (a future post)
36. Our Ditty cousins on occasional years
37. Zach throwing his binky off of the pier
38. Lots and lots of Marsden, Leger, and Nielsen cousins
39. Lip-sync

40. Going to LA to see Wicked
41. San Clemente K-Mart
42. Grocery shopping at Ralph's
43. Washing the clothes (I love doing my laundry at the beach house....seriously)
44. Going to Dana Point Harbor

45. In-N-Out Burger
46. The Pacific Coast Highway
47. The broken stairs on the mountain
48. The railroad tracks and the trains
49. Visiting The Best of Britain to buy chocolate
50. Beach toys strewn all over the beach, all week long
51. Parking our cars and making sure that they all fit in the carport
52. Going over to San Clemente to swim and play for a day
53. Beach umbrellas

54. My Dad periodically asking me if I have plenty of lotion (sunscreen) on
55. Going to a Dodger's game (which I've never done, just Mike and the kids)
56. The Japanese people in Disneyland that wanted to get their picture taken with David; he was wearing his Dodger jersey and they thought that he was an LA Dodger, so he complied ("you play for Doja?")
57. Dancing in the parking lot of Capistrano Realty while our car radio blasted away
58. Meeting Uncle Joe and his family at Barstow Station
59. Walking to Circus Circus
60. Triple odds on craps
61. Mike winning $600 in Mesquite with two $5 coins, and one pull of the lever
62. The Roller Coaster at Buffalo Bill's
63. Everyone waving their arms out of the car windows and cheering at the first glimpse of t'ocean

64. Snow on the tops of the school buses (in So Cal?)
65. Watching the fishermen on the pier reeling in their fish
66. Watching the sunset while standing at the end of San Clemente pier
67. Del Mar
68. While shopping in the Thrifty store we saw Anthony Edwards (ER) buying a kite for his son
69. Sharing the beach with Lavell Edwards and his family
70. Uncle Roy singing Ashleigh-O

71. We Didn't Start The Fire "ahh", "ahh", "ahh", "ohh"
72. Lily
73. Fixing the screen door
74. Sweeping up sand
75. Oreo cookie ice-cream sandwiches (mmmmmmmm!!)
76. Cruise ships and boats on the horizon, lit up at night
77. Airplanes with advertising banners in tow
78. Chris's sunscreen
79. Church basketball
80. Playing games
81. Watching the movie Jaws
82. Sunday night testimony meeting

83. "Pay the rent..." in assorted languages and accents
84. Boogie boarding and body surfing
85. Never, ever stopping at the Roy Rogers museum in Victorville
86. The pelicans
87. Jet skis jumping over the waves
88. Tim closing the curtains so that the neighbors wouldn't see him playing the broom while he performed his talent
89. The toll roads
90. Jeff and Jeremy singing in the bathroom at the Jack-In-The-Box on Coronado Island and everyone in the restaurant hearing them
91. Seeing the people way out on t'ocean passing our beach on their paddle boards at dusk and wondering if they would make it to Dana Point before dark
92. Pearl divers diving for pearls for me, at Sea World
93. The big white house at the end of Beach Road

94. Passing Zzyzx Road, my 3rd (soon to be 4th) favorite street in the USA
95. One year on our way to the beach we stopped to visit Uncle Roy's grave, as we stood at his grave I could tell that my Mother was on the verge of tears so I decided to lighten the moment by saying, "in all of these years that we've been coming to the beach we never once stopped to visit Uncle Roy at his house...but now that he's dead we're stopping to visit his grave." Mother started to laugh and all was well.
Disclaimer to # 95...Uncle Roy did rent the beach house next to us for a few years, so we did see him
96. We can't mention going to the cemetery without being reminded of a big gulp cup

97. Water shoes
98. Margie calling Archie on the phone to tell him about Tim winning everything (showcase included) on The Price Is Right and saying..."Arch I'm as serious as hell." I think Arch believed her then.
99. Mike's waffle cone (and his white pants) at Sea World
100. The rules of the beach house (and we know who breaks them)
Where do you go on vacation? What do you LOVE about it?
9 comments:
Im kinda surprised you forgot to mention the jr. lifeguards all jumping off the pier!
I cannot wait to go to the beach!
and
I. CAN'T. WAIT. FOR. ICE CREAM!!!!
101. Jr. lifeguards jumping off of the pier
Leenz I'm impressed you actually read them all!
I.CAN'T.WAIT.EITHER
for the beach I mean
and your icecream too!
What great pictures you have!!!!!! It looks like you have the beach and the Pacific Ocean all to yourselves(Legers). I remember walking down the beach with Granpa pushing Michael Teryle in one stroller and me pushing Emily in another. They were about 16/18 months old and they chattered away to each other like they were discussing the "solemnities of eternity" And to hear their baby voices saying, "Emilee' and "Gical". And what about the year we had 4 houses side by side and the toddlers thought every house on the beach was family. And the year Alan Hugh got pneumonia. We could go on FOREVER and I hope we do. Thanx for a great post, and the anticipation.
We've only gotten to do the beach house thing once...when Jillian was 18 months old! But it was SO much fun...I remember playing hands and feet with both families. Good times!
Wow Les, I think you did a great job at covering memories at the Beach House!! I loved reading this post and it got me soooo excited for our trip!!!
I know you briefly mentioned the bon fires at the beach, but I just wanted to expand on the great memories I have of hearing everyones stories as we sit around the bon fire.
I also really liked hearing your food memories too.
I. CAN'T. WAIT. EITHER...FOR THE BEACH, THE ICECREAM, DISNEYLAND ETC..
I LOVE THIS POST!!! It made me so happy! Oh man! I'm so jealous that I'm missing out on the first few days but we'll be there early on Wednesday morning! I apologize to my family in advance for being 7.5 months preggers and wearing a swim suit...its not a beached whale...its just Melissa...
Awesome post Les! And yes I really did believe Margie once she said that... :-)
I must be missing something. What is there to love about toll roads.
Thanks for including "Pay the rent", that made me smile.
I did say "memories" of the our trips to the beach in the introduction.
But....the toll roads get you there quicker with not much traffic :-)
Post a Comment