Friday, May 1, 2009

Family Friday: Featuring My Brother Alan

I am the oldest of my parents six children; I have four brothers and a favorite sister. The first of my siblings to be featured on Family Friday is Alan.

Alan is the 4th child in our family, and the first to be born in America. He is just 5 years younger than me and is the first child in the family that I can actually remember as a baby. He is also named after my Dad. He isn't "officially" a Jr. but when you have two Alan's in the family (especially during the years when they both lived in the same house) there are times when they need to be clarified as Sr. and Jr.; case in point: When Alan was in high school a teenage girl called on the phone one day and asked for Alan. As was our families practice the girl was asked, "Sr. or Jr.?" makes sense, right? The girls response (giggle, giggle), "sophomore."

Shortly after I became engaged to Mike I started a new job at the Church Office Building. I would often tell my family stories of seeing the general authorities and even the Prophet in the building or on the grounds. When Alan was in Jr. High on school holidays he would often ride the bus to Salt Lake and come to visit me at my office. He was hoping that he would see the Prophet; Spencer W. Kimball. That hope was finally realized when he did see the Prophet and the Prophet spoke to him. As I think about that now it impresses me to think of the faith of such a young boy and his desire to see Gods Prophet. I am so glad that he had that experience.

Alan served a mission to the Philippines, it was there that he met his future wife Marivic. They were married in the Salt Lake Temple on April 26, 1985; one year after Alan returned from his mission.

Alan has always been an excellent brother and Uncle. He was always willing to tend my kids for me whenever I needed him. He and Marivic stayed with the boys for two weeks when Mike and I went to England in 1992. Many times he took my boys on adventures. One that I particularly remember was when the Utah Jazz were coming home one night after a big game, many fans were congregating at the airport to greet the team and Alan called to see if the boys would like to go. They were all very excited to go and Jeremy (he was only 4 or 5) took his basketball with him so that he could get the teams autographs. At some point in the evening Alan couldn't find Jeremy (it was only a minute but if you knew Jeremy back then you'd understand). It was just a few moments later that Alan heard his name called over the PA system asking him to report to one of the counters. There was Jeremy sitting on top of the counter holding his basketball which was filled with autographs, and airport personnel standing by to make sure that he was "found".

My three boys weren't the only ones who enjoyed Uncle Alan's adventures; on our last trip to the beach house he took Caitlin to Disneyland along with his children Tara and AJ. Here are just a few of the adventures that I've been on with Alan: Sea World, Disneyland (with and without kids), 17-mile Drive, Pebble Beach, Monterey Bay, San Francisco, Reno, Lake Tahoe (when I visited Alan in Reno he said let's go to dinner, but we didn't just go to dinner in Reno, we drove to the California side of Lake Tahoe so that we could say that we ate dinner in California), Mexico (when Alan lived in Yuma he was just minutes away from the Mexican border, we drove to the border and then walked into the town of Algodones for a few minutes and then walked out and drove home). I've had opportunities to visit Alan and his family in every town that they have lived in. Alan always makes sure that we have a good time. He is always interested in going places and seeing new things. I am sure that taking a ride down the Legacy Highway is on the top of Alan's things-to-do list on his next trip to Utah.

Alan is an amazingly motivated and talented man. He worked at both KTVX and KSL television stations (not at the same time) while attending high school and then the U of U. He wanted to someday become an anchorman. After graduating from the U of U, his young families adventures began in Reno where he was a news reporter; then they went to Yuma, AZ.; Salinas, CA; and now they live in Rocklin, CA. Alan is currently an anchorman in Chico, California.

I cannot write about Alan without mentioning the significant life altering experience that he and I have both had, and that is of the death of a child. Our children were born just a few months apart, were playmates as well as cousins, and died within two years of each other. I know that one day during the millenium when all of our other siblings will be empty nesters, Alan and I will once again be raising pre-schoolers and trading baby sitting just as we did twenty years ago.

I love my brother Alan and I'm so grateful that he is in our family. If anyone has had an adventure with Alan or just wants to say how great he is....thanks for sharing!

Alan, Marivic, Tara, and AJ

12 comments:

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Alan is my favorite member of your family, Les :-) I have a bias of course because he's been my best friend and husband for the last 24 fabulous years. Alan has all the qualities that make a wonderful husband, Dad, son, brother, etc. but on top of that as you pointed out he has the zest for adventure that makes life so NOT boring :-) Thanks for this sweet post about my most favorite guy in the world! And I'm glad I got to comment first on this post. I'm usually late to the comment-party, so I'm glad I just happened to come over to your blog tonight as this post was published. Yay!

Jeff said...

One of my favorite memories of Alan was when years ago he was in town and we were sitting around the living room. Alan had the idea of going to Raging Waters. Of couse Andy, Jeremy and I were all excited, but my dad was not to keen on the idea. Subtly, Alan starts to sing, "and the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon, little boy blue and the man in the moon..." We all had a prety good laugh and still do to this day.

Alan said...

Whoa! Just last week I was wondering when I would be featured on "Family Friday." It's today! Thanks Les. As it turns out, it really is "...a pleasure being nominated!"

Lilian said...

Alan is awesome! I hardly every get to see him thouogh! Recently he made the video from Russell and Jessica's wedding. It was so good and he was so generous to spend his time doing it for me! I miss having him in UT with us. This was a really nice post Les!

Melissa said...

Uncle Alan has always been so tender towards me. He's always been extremely interested in me and the goings on in my life. I remember three years ago he had heard about my engagement and called to congratulate me, then they all made the trip to Visalia to my reception. I've had very tender thoughts towards all my Aunts and Uncles during my pregnancy as I watch Sean and Megan get excited for the new baby and have a new perspective of that relationship. He is a GREAT uncle and I'm grateful that I'm his niece!

Archie said...

I have lots of good memories with Alan. One favorite is this. Every once in a while Alan and I would catch a movie. One night we went to Salt Lake and saw The Shining. It freaked us both out. When we got home, and I pulled up to the front of the house we sat in the car for a minute, sort of afraid to get out in the dark. I was 20 at the time, Alan would have been about 17 or 18. We finally decided to man up. We counted to three and ran from the car to the house. I told the girls that story one time so we rented The Shining from Netflix (it was Alan who convinced me to use Netflix so this is sort of a circle-of-life kind of thing). Anyway, the girls never finished the movie because it freaked everybody out. Lot's of fun.

Andy said...

So many memories. How many people would you want to hang out with on your honeymoon? Seriously. But we had a great time.

Sitting on the waterbed with Alan and Jeff and listening to records is another of my favorite memories. I need to create an iTunes playlist called "Uncle Alan." It would include Christopher Cross, Dan Fogelberg, Neil Diamond's Taproot Manuscript, the Osmonds, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I never quite got hooked on Kuh Ledesma though.

Margie said...

I love Alan. I have so many memories I don't even know where to start!! I have known Alan for many years and I have always known Alan to be very kind and to have a zest for life! I really admire how great Alan is in exploring and going on adventures. He is very smart and hard working, but knows how to have fun.

One of my favorite memories in recent years was when we visited the California Marsden's just after Melissa and Adam were married. Both Alan and Marivic were wonderful to take us around and show us their "neck of the woods". After we had spent several days together and said goodbye on a Saturday night, we went to church the next day after a reception at the Turney's home. While we were sitting in church and singing the hymns. The words "I will be my brother's keeper" jumped out at me like never before. Tears started to roll down my checks as I thought about Alan taking care not only of his brother, but his brothers family too. That memory will always stay with me!!

Bea said...

The first memory that popped into my head is one that always makes Alan laugh. When he was a baby and just learning to talk , I would talk to him and he would respond by saying, "diddle diddle...." and changing the emphasis on various "diddles" so I knew he was talking to me :o) who knew he would get paid for it. :o)He is the middle child, but he is the one that represented Viemont as he ran, played golf, swam, played french horn in the school band and was famous for, "I'm no good, going to prom with Lily is not for me". He is very loyal. I enjoy to talk with him as he drives to work and we solve the world's problems. HA! as if. He is a good man.

Bea said...

This is from Dad.
All my memories are fond, and I love him, and he knows that. We have done many things together, including playing golf. We have also been to the movies together on many occasions. The movie memory that stands out the most Alan will remember, but for those who don't know the story, here it is. One day Alan invited me to go to the movies, he wanted to see a double feature of "Rocky". I was excited to go with my boy, as we approached the box office he said something like, "Oh by the way Dad will you pay?" and I did. I love to hear my Alan laugh and of course I try to make him laugh all the more. He particularly loves to hear my "pure" Belfast accent. Many times I have seen him rock and roll when I do this. "Don't ye sun?" On a serious note (yes I can be serious) I respect and admire my son for who he is. Stalwart, faithful, and dependable person with unquestionable integrity.+

Lesley said...

I'm enjoying all of these memories with Alan. It reminds me of many more. I remember going to see "Poltergeist" with Dad, Alan, and Lilian, at the Sandcastle. The four of us were practically the only ones in the theater and when it was time to go home we were scared. Alan drove me home and went back home knowing full well that Dad would be in the closet waiting to jump out at him. I think he did, didn't he?
There is also a story about Alan and a DEAD BIRD!! I won't say any more about that one.
I also love Alan's laugh. When someone says something funny there is like this ba-zillionth of a second pause and then Alan bursts out in laughter.
Several years ago Caitlin and I went with mom and dad to visit Alan's family in Salinas. When we arrived late in the afternoon Alan said right away, "Les, do you want to go see the ocean?" We left everyone else behind to unpack and fix dinner and in just a few minutes the two of us where at Monterey looking at one of the most beautiful views of t'ocean I've ever seen. The land was undeveloped and in it's most natural beauty. Then Alan said while pointing, "that's where John Denver died, right there." And I know that a ba-zillionth of a second will pass when Alan reads what I just wrote, and he's going to burst out into laughter.
But in all seriousness, Alan knows I love the ocean and he took me to see it.

Archie said...

Boosigna!!!!!!