Sunday, May 3, 2009

BYU Women's Conference 2009

I just returned from a wonderful two days at BYU Women's Conference. I had the opportunity to attend several uplifting and motivating classes as well as opening and closing sessions each day. I attended classes about finances, going back to college, self worth, fearing God and not man, faith and sacrifice...

A big highlight for me was attending a class presented by Lynne Sybrowsky who is the wife of Jeremy's mission president. I made sure that I got there early so that I could speak to her before the class started. It was a double bonus when I saw that Elder Sybrowsky (of the seventy) was there as well. We had the opportunity to visit before the class began. There was a mother of another missionary there as well as a sister missionary from Jeremy's mission (she told me that Jeremy had been her Zone Leader). The other mother invited me to sit with her group and we quickly became acquainted. Sister Sybrowsky was an amazing teacher. After the class we visited some more and took some pictures with the Sybrowky's. This was the final class before the closing session on Friday. As I walked alone to the Marriott Center I was overcome with emotion as I felt the spirit of all that had occurred during the two days that I was there. The opportunity to spend those moments with the Sybrowsky's were the icing on the cake, and as I called Jeremy to report I again was overcome with emotion wishing that he had had that experience instead of me.

It is an amazing experience to spend two days at a conference such as this and to feel the spirit which is there constantly. Here are just a few of my favorite quotes throughout the conference:

From my class titled: Man Looketh On the Outward Appearance, but the Lord Looketh On the Heart

"We're all perfectly imperfect human beings"

"Only speak well of yourself"

From Sister Dibb's class: You've Seen Our Sacrifice; Come After Us

"A pioneer is one who goes before, showing others the way to follow." President Monson

From the Friday morning general session where Sister Beck spoke:

In reference to those who say that they have family night on Sunday, Sister Beck said this..."why wouldn't we want Monday in addition to Sunday for family night."

A mother said to her daughter before her wedding day..."it's okay to cook for your husband."

From my class titled: "Fret Not Thyself Because of Evildoers": Fearing God, Not Man

When in conversation with someone who is criticizing or doesn't understand our beliefs..."address the 'light of Christ' in another person."

"We are given the gift of the Holy Ghost to travel 1st class everyday"

"It is a 'joyful burden' to stand as witnesses"

It truly was an incredible two days. I'm grateful to Mike and Caitlin for taking care of things on the homefront so that I could attend, to my Mother for going with me, being able to spend time with Margie and Melissa and some of Margie's family, for wonderful classes, beautiful music, smiling faces, and so much more....

Starting at the right; Phyllis, Suzie, Margie, Melissa, Bea (my mom), Me, and Karen

5 comments:

Bea said...

It was a fun conference. Don't forget the two women we met from London. They came just for the conference. And carrying umbrellas just about guarantees it will not rain. And it takes 30 minutes from the Marriot Center to I-15. And among 18000 women you met your neighbor, and our "old" neighbor you see every year there. Maybe I'd better do my blog. It was fun.

Archie said...

Great post Les. What an awesome opportunity to take.

Karalee said...

You lucky girl! Even cooler that you got to go with your mom and family! Thanks for posting snippets of what you learned...love it!

Tiffany said...

I'm jealous! Sounds like a lot of fun and a lot of spiritual growth too. I could do with both of those about now! Glad you could go. GET WELL SOON! I missed your smiley face on the front row during my lesson yesterday!

Margie said...

I loved reading your quotes Les. Tomorrow I plan to go through my notes and take in more of what I learned.

It was great to spend time with you at Women's Conference. I'm so glad I was able to go this year!

I hope you are feeling better. I heard you were sick :(. Take care!