"....sparkle like you own the world shine like you are you...."This week on Family Friday I'm featuring another of my handsome nephews; Michael who is the 5th and youngest son of my sister Lilian. Don't be fooled by this photo, he doesn't really have a moustache (he's only ten), a few months ago he did an oral report on Walt Disney in his school class and he dressed the part, complete with slicked back hair and the....moustache. Doesn't he look great!?! I heard that he did a wonderful job. I love Michael Teryle, he makes me smile.
Jacob, Alan, Taylor, Michael, and Russell; handsome brothersA few years ago on one of our beach house trips I was heading to the grocery store to go shopping, I'm not sure exactly how it came about but I had instructions to buy Michael a treat. So I did. That seemed to be the beginning of a new tradition that while at the beach house I buy Michael a special treat when I go to the grocery store. This year it was bubble tape. Just look at the picture below and tell me; how do I resist?
Michael just chillin' at the beach this summerAnyone who is anyone knows that my 'sista Ririan' speaks Chinese fluently (I'll tell more about that on her Family Friday). One day me, Lilian, and Michael went shopping at a boutique. I made a bad attempt at speaking Chinese and Michael, who was a pre-schooler looked at me and said, "you don't do it as good as my Mom." Out of the mouths of babes. Michael is pretty good at Chinese as well, he usually calls me "Aunt Resrey."
Something that I have observed about Michael is his kindness and thoughtfulness towards others. He is a second cousin to my grandchildren and more than once I have seen him give something special of his to one of them. At the recent Kaysville 4th of July parade Michael gathered up quite a collection of red, white, and blue beaded necklaces that were being thrown from one of the floats. Everyone was asking him for certain colors that they didn't have, and he gave many of them away without complaint. I have a collection of nearly 100 thimbles. I was with my sister one day a few years ago when she presented me with a thimble, handmade for me by Michael out of a siver candy wrapper because, "Aunt Lesley likes these finger covers." I display it proudly, front and center in my thimble case.
Adam, Zach, Jacob, Becca, Derek, Emily, and Michael at Chris and David's 4th of July barbecue this yearIf you know Michael you know that: He is very thoughtful. He is a charmer. He gives great hugs. He loves his family. He plays the guitar. He plays golf. He has a tender heart. He and his cousin Jeff (19 years older) nicknamed each other 'Snoop'. He's a good boy. I am very grateful that Michael is in our family and I know that we all love him a lot.
Michael's family in Disneyland this summer: Jessica, Russell, a family friend, Michael, Jacob, Taylor, Cory, and Lilian (Michael's brother Alan is serving in the Tallahassee Florida Mission)
8 comments:
You know what I like about Michael??? He ain't shy. He's pretty cool too!
The night before Michael was born I was given a priesthood blessing by dad. There were words spoken in this blessing that led me to know for certain I was having a baby boy. When Michael was born there were many people who felt sorry for me, or gave me that look of, 'Oh shoot you didn't get your girl.' Oh if they only knew the pure JOY from the very moment of his birth that I felt. Don't feel sorry for me because I have all boys, and don't feel sorry for me that I never got a girl. I have Michael. I'm the luckiest mom in the world! Other words spoken in that priesthood blessing mentioned that this child would "sparkle" and sparkle he does.
He also LOVE his auntie Resrey very much!
Michael is a really special guy! He is very thoughtful of people and he is so hilarious. He and I became good buddies at the beach a couple years ago (he was about four) and he would tell me the craziest funny things. He is AWESOME and I'm glad he was not born a girl Aunt Lilian~ truth be told if I were to have one of something I'd have all boys but I guess it's too late for that.
Granpa called/calls him
"Michael the Spark Angel"
because he sparkles. I am with Lesley, how do I get into the situations I find myself in with Michael? He is just so innocent in "EXPECTING" the things he wants he generally gets them :o)
But he is thoughtful, and anticipates your needs. He will be a great Boy Scout. Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent. (and hungry)
When I was a kid my parents taught us to always acknowledge the presence of the adults in family gatherings with a polite greeting. This is supposed to be more respectful than just ignoring them or waiting for them to acknowledge us first. Well, Michael grew up in a different culture but he does this naturally, and I love this very much about him. It makes me have a very special fondness for him. It helps that he is cute, too, of course :-)
Snoop is my main man. Ever since I got home from my mission and he was just over 2 years old we have been boys. He is polite, he is always making me laugh, he has a very good memory, and it doesn't hurt that he loves golf (and he is getting pretty good too). I think I'll have him speak at my funeral.
This is from Michael:
Thanks Aunt Lesley, I love you.
Baaa Badabing badabing baaaaa!
Michael has the best phone manners. I love to call up and have Michael answer the phone!! He is such a sweet boy and seems to always look out for other people.
I didn't know about the golf!! We must talk about that next time.
Post a Comment