This week on Family Friday I'm featuring the first of my sibling "in-laws"; Margie. Although I personally don't like to use the word "in-law" (I like to think of us all as just family) I use it for clarification for those who may be reading this blog and don't know quite where everyone fits into the family.Next week it will be 32 years since I met Margie for the first time. Mike and I had only been married a few months when we double dated with Tim and Margie on their first date. Mike and I waited in the car as Tim went into Margie's home, as they emerged from the house I turned to Mike and said something like, "it will never work out, she has dark hair." My brother always seemed to pick blonds.... well, his blond days were over.
Margie graduated from Skyline high school, she then attended school and graduated from the University of Utah. Although Margie came from a family of teachers she decided that Home Economy should be her major, I think that her family has been greatly blessed because of her choice. She had a lot of great experiences while in school, one was the opportunity to spend a semester abroad at the BYU Jerusalem Center. After Tim returned from his mission they were married in the Jordan River Temple on December 16, 1982.There are a lot of great stories about Margie, I will just share a couple. When my son Jeffrey was just 2 weeks old we went to my Mom's for Thanksgiving. When Margie arrived she dropped her coat and purse on the sofa and then asked enthusiastically, "where's the baby?" I replied, "under your coat and purse."
For several years now Margie has faithfully gotten up early in the morning (dark early) and gone to aerobics. A few months ago we were at Lilian's house and we were all singing with the sing-a-long version of Momma Mia, when the song Dancing Queen came on Margie spontaneously got up and danced (solo) to every one's delight. She was really good. It pays to do aerobics.
Margie cares about everyone in the family. A few years ago she wrote individual letters and mailed them to all of the adults in the family for their birthdays. Combine our family with all of the adults in Margie's side of the family, that is a lot of letters. The letter meant so much to me.
Last summer at our girls night Margie (pictured with Caitlin) waxed eyebrows (and a nose), and talked to the girls (young and younger) about good nutritionSome things that I have observed/know about Margie: She is a friend to all, she has friends that range from the very young to the very old. While in Israel she was kidnapped by a Nomad on horseback, fortunately her friends saw it happen and alerted those in charge. Margie is very organized in all that she does. Her home is spotless. She makes wonderful food. She serves in her Stake Primary Presidency. She has an attitude of gratitude. She recognizes her blessings. She takes time to talk to all family members. She is a good sport. She's a good listener. She has self-discipline. Margie is highly motivated. She likes lemon in her water (or maybe we should forget about that). She is a very popular substitute teacher at WHS. She is a good wife and mother, and soon a grandmother. She is wise with her resources. She loves hearts. She is a positive influence on others. We are so grateful to have Margie in our family and we love her.
9 comments:
I really love Margie. She is always so kind and is always interested in what everyone has to say. She has a really fun personality too. It was hilarious when she was dancing to Dancing Queen! She's one of my favorite sister's(in-law)!!
I thought of several stories but decided on this one. :o)
We all know Margie loves pickled onions. Well, the Thanksgiving she was in Israel I COULD NOT FIND ANY anywhere. I went from store to store because i knew Margie would be thinking of us next day and thinking of "pickled onions". Eventually I did find some. I never asked her if she thought about us that day but we thought about her :o)Sure love you Margie.
Great post Lesley.
Margie has so many qualities I admire and aspire to have. She is fiercely loyal to her husband and children and is always looking out for them. She shows interest in other people's thoughts and feelings, and makes sure she talks to everyone in any gathering. She is true to her faith, and tries very hard to live the standards of the church. I am very grateful we married into the same family and I had the chance to know someone like her.
I love my mommy! Something funny about her is that she always asks unanswerable questions. Before I knew I was pregnant she would ask "so do you think you are..." and I would say "I don't know..." and she would say "but if you had to guess...what would you say." Or when she wanted to know if it was a boy or a girl...same scenario. The best is when she asks when I think the baby will be born like today..."do you think it will be in the next four days? are you ready for it in the next four days?" My mom is a great mom and is very supportive. She always looks for the best in everyone and is a good example of someone who is able to see people through Christ's eyes. She is good to everyone around her. Adam says: She is my favorite mother in law and a great cook. I love when she cooks for me!
This is Tim (not Margie as noted above). Marge is a great wife and my very best friend. She is the best decision I ever made. Her influence on my life is immeasurable. We met on my 15 1/2 birthday (Jan. 1, 1977) so her influence started early in my life. She always makes me feel valued and she constantly encourages me. I love the way she screams in movies at the silliest times (i.e. not when a monster suddenly appears but like a door slamming or something dropping on the floor). I love her smile and beautiful eyes (next time you talk to her notice her eyes). I love her laugh, it is so contagious. I love how she inspires me to be the best I can. I love how much faith and confidence she has in me and my abilities. Thanks Lesley for the post and thanks for driving so that I could take Marge out on our first date ("Rocky" at Trolley North, July 9, 1977 - Mom & Dad's 21st anniversary). She's my favorite wife, "My Little Margie."
Thanks for the kind words!! It is fun to see yourself through other people's eyes. I am the lucky one to be in this family and have all of you in my life :)!
I always enjoy the comments that family members make about each other on FF. There are so many things that could be shared. I loved Tim's comment about Margie screaming in the movies, I've been with her a few times and Tim is right....and, the scream is usually accompainied by a jump.
(the above deletion was me - typo)
Though Tim and Margie don't seem to remember this, I remember the first time I met Margie. I knew Tim was dating a girl from Salt Lake but I hadn't yet met her. Then one Sunday Tim brought her to our ward, the West Bountiful 3rd Ward. I was passing the Sacrament, they were sitting in the back and I passed to them. This is classic Tim Marsden style. Out of the corner of his mouth DURING THE SACRAMENT as I was passing to them, Tim quitely introduced us "Margie - Alan.... Alan - Margie."
Then there was the night Tim came home from his mission, but we won't go into that :)
I'm glad Margie is my sister-in-law.
Awesome post Les. Margie & Tim doubled with me and (she who's name we do not mention)on several occassions.
While Tim was on his mission I was attending the U of U and two or three times a week would pick Margie up in President's Circle after class and drop her off at work on my way to work. Margie was so thoughtful and would often bring me out an ice-cold Dr. Pepper. I didn't have the heart to tell her I didn't really care for Dr. Pepper, but eventually grew to love the taste. On the increasingly rare occassions that I drink soda to this day I will sometimes have a Dr. Pepper.
Love you Marge!
archie
Post a Comment