All that I am or hope to be I owe to my angel mother. Abraham Lincoln
You might want to grab some popcorn and a drink before embarking on reading this weeks Family Friday, this is probably the longest post so far but this week I'm featuring the Matriarch of our family; my Mother. I mentioned "longevity" in a previous post, well Mother certainly qualifies in the longevity department, she is one of the two original members of our family. First of all let me explain that I do call my Mom, Mother. I've done it for many years and I'm not sure why, but it might have something to do with the fact that every time Mother called me on the phone she would say, "this is your Mother." So I call her Mother, and I'm the only one in the family that does.
Mother was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland. She was the fifth of seven children born to her parents. There was a girl and then three boys before my Mother, when she was born my Grandmother told my Grandfather that they had a "beautiful baby girl". She was named Lilian after her Mother, but goes by her middle name which is Beatrice.
Grandpa, Joe, Bea, Roy, John, Jean, Grandma and Bryan in the frontMy Uncle John (Mother's brother) was married to my Dad's sister, he introduced my parents, and it was love at first sight. After a long distance courtship (Dad lived in England) they wanted to get married.
My Grandpa wanted them to wait because there wasn't a temple in the British Isles, but a wise Mission President said, "let them get married." And so they were married on July 9, 1956. Two years later on July 10, 1958 they had a beautiful baby girl (me). When I was two months old my parents traveled to England for the dedication of the London Temple. On September 10, 1958, the day after the dedication, we were one of the first families sealed in that temple.
My Mother is a very faithful and courageous woman. In 1962 my parents came to live in America. Dad came in June to find employment so that he could earn the money to bring Mother and their three children. Mother didn't come until October. She traveled to New York by plane with three small children by herself (we were 4, 3, and 1), and then the four of us traveled across the country by train. Can you imagine their young family being an ocean apart for four months!?! Honestly, when I hear the stories of the day that Dad left Ireland and then of the night that we arrived in Salt Lake City four months later, I can't help but cry. They did all of this so that me and my siblings could have a better life.
This picture was taken just before Dad left for America; Mother holding Timothy, Lesley, Dad holding ArchieMother is my greatest example of what a wife, mother, and grandmother should be. She serves us all unselfishly. She prays for all of us, and on our birthdays we get a special prayer on our behalf. I know that my Mother is there for me; no matter what.
Mother is a wonderful Granma (yes, that is how we spell it when referring to her). A few years ago I sat back and observed Granma enter the room at a family bridal shower. All the teenage granddaughters quickly surrounded her and were all talking to her at the same time, Granma was just like one of the girls. They love her.
Some of the girls at the beach this summer; Megan, Chelsea, Melissa, Granma, Caitlin, and TaraOne of my favorite stories about Mother is when the Princess Beatrice was born in 1988. A few days following the Princesses birth I was listening to the news when it was announced that the newborn Princess would be named Beatrice. I immediately called Mother at her office to tell her the news, she was very excited and I listened as she exclaimed to all of her friends in the office, "they've named the Princess Beatrice!! They've named the Princess Beatrice!!" She turned her attention back to me, who was still on the other end of the phone and said as she lowered her voice and with just a tinge of disgust, "why did they name her Beatrice?" As if it were the most horrible name in the world.
Mother and Dad with their six children; Lesley, Archie, Timothy, Alan, Lilian, and David in 2008This year Mother was chosen as West Bountiful's Mother of the Year, sponsored by The Davis County Clipper. You may nominate a deserving Mother by sending a letter of 100 words or less explaining why you think she should be Mother of the Year for her community. I decided that my Mother deserved to be West Bountiful's Mother of the year and so I sent in the following letter (which is exactly 100 words):
In 1962 Mother left her homeland; Ireland, to come to America. She had three young children and two suitcases. Dad came four months previously to work and find a home in preparation for us coming. They have lived in West Bountiful since 1962. All of my Mother's posterity, forty-five of us have been blessed because of her sacrifice to leave her home and start anew. Mother loves each member of her family unconditionally and constantly serves us. She has made quilts for more than seventy friends and family. She's fun, loyal, trustworthy, a woman of faith, and she blogs!
West Bountiful's Mother of the Year surrounded by members of her family during the 4th of July paradeA few things to know about Mother: She is a gospel scholar. She is a great teacher. She is the best cook; and she bakes good things too. She served a mission to England with Dad from October 1996 to April 1998. She sews. She makes quilts. She knits. She sings with all her heart (and in Spanish). She serves in the Bountiful Temple. She can pack a suitcase better than anyone I know. If you're going on a trip to Britain, you will want her to plan your agenda. She loves to do jigsaw puzzles. She is an excellent visiting teacher. She loves to go on road trips with Dad. She thinks about others. She likes to buy duplicate pairs of shoes in different colors. She is always optimistic. She's happy and it shows. She was employed by the Church for many years. She has many friends who love her. She is understanding. She's compassionate. She is a wonderful Mother and Grandmother and Great Grandmother, and a blessing to all of her posterity, and we all love her.
My parents 50th wedding anniversary in July 2006
Mother and Dad enjoying some of their posterity at the beach this summer
11 comments:
Mom also likes it when people refer to her children by their given name. Without shortening it. Like Alan cannot be "Al" Or Lilian cannot be "Lil" or David cannot be "Dave" (although most get away with that one). For some reason though, we have always been able to call the 3 oldest "Les, Arch, and Tim"
Mom is fun and energetic and never afraid to sing her heart out. She (oops, don't say she) likes to get to know our friends, even as adults, and they like to know her too.
I love my mommy.
Very enjoyable to read. Your mother is an amazing person. You're not so bad either!
What a beautiful post for a beautiful women. I love my mother-in-law too...and that is saying something. She is a great woman and has taught me a lot. She does have an incredible story and an incredible legacy.
I loved this post. Your mother sounds like such a wonderful woman!
I like Mom. Despite moving out 24 years ago and living outside Utah for 16 of those years, rarely does a week go by that I don't talk to Mom. Not because I'm a good son but because she is a good mom. i.e. I like to talk to her. (the church watts line helped accommodate that for some of that time :)
I got to spend a couple years in my early 20's working at the Church Office Building and seeing Mom practically every day, and we often ate lunch together. I'm thankful Mom and Dad come to visit us in California and for the fact that at this very moment she's off to our Safeway here in Rocklin buying the ingredients for an Ulster Fry. I just thought I'd rub that in :)
Thanx Lesley
Love U
I love Mom. I feel specially grateful that she is here in California visiting us when she is featured on Family Friday. I have always admired her for her ability to unconditionally love her family. I feel that the best way I can honor her is to follow her example. I always enjoy Mom and Dad's visits. She is fun and funny, and she is honest about how she feels, and she ALWAYS makes me feel loved. I am blessed among women because I have been given a great mother in law to care for me, teach me, and be a good example to me.
Great Post!! I have loved getting to know you mother. She is a wonderful lady and it's true, she is always happy. She makes me smile. Congrats Bea. I loved doing "da moose" this year at camp. It made me think of her.
I haven't had time to comment until now, I have the best Granma! She loves all of us so much and everyone knows it. I like that she can joke around with Adam- she gives Adam the relationship with a grandparent he never had but always craved. She is a strong person and has her priorities straight. She's a great example. I love how straight forward she is with everyone. One of my favorite stories is when I brought a boy over to their house (Drew) and Granma brought out the coveted English chocolate. I was so excited and of course chose an crunchie! Drew mentions that he's never really had English chocolate before and Granma says "well if you can't appreciate it you can't have it." She then gave him a kit kat. Good thing I married Adam instead who lived in Australia and CAN appreciate the finer things in life!
So, I haven't read every Family Friday and I was looking over some of the past ones and didn't realize my Angel Mother had been profiled. I had better leave a comment. What a wonderful influence Mom has been to me. Mom may always be concerned that she is interfering with her adult children and the raising of their families, but I will always welcome Mom's help and advice. I remember going to the movies with Mom on several occasions. Just her and I. Dad was working or something and we would go out to eat and what-not. I really miss going to see Mom and the Church Offices. It was always fun to go down and surprise her and she was always chuft (sp?) to see me. Well, who wouldn't be thrilled to see the "Golden Child"? In my adult years, Mom and I have enjoyed many a crossword puzzle together. I love you, Mum, even more than Rose's Chocolates!!
I remember going to lunch with Grandma at the Church Office Building with Mom and Jeff when I was a little guy. I always loved it. And we would sometimes go to Temple Square afterward.
I remember going to the Adminstration Building to sing with my high school choir, and there was Grandma sidling up to James E. Faust, talking to him with a big, proud smile and pointing at me. It was a tender moment.
I love Grandma.
Post a Comment