Friday, July 10, 2009

Family Friday: Featuring My Sister (by marriage) Christine

Last week I featured Margie who was the first of my sibling "in-laws", this week I'm featuring Chris who married my youngest brother David on August 21, 1993 which made her the last sibling "in-law" to join the family. My first memory of meeting Chris was 4 days after I had given birth to my last baby. It was Sunday and my Mom was providing dinner for my family (at my house). Mom, Dad, and David were going to eat with us and Mom mentioned that David was going to bring his girlfriend. I was a bit embarrassed because I was barely home from the hospital, I was wearing my robe and having a bad hair day and was hoping that I wasn't giving a terrible impression.

Chris and David's wedding was one of the funnest that I've ever attended. It was a party. Mike's band (before Endless Summer) provided music and everyone danced and had so much fun. .
Chris and David were involved with Page's Lane Theater (now Rodger's Memorial Theater) and a lot of their theater friends were there. At one point Chris and several of the girls got up and sang and danced. Ralph Rodgers was shouting from the audience, "white girls have no rhythm." We've been trying to get Chris to perform for the family ever since. Maybe one of these days she'll let loose again, I feel like it's coming.

In 2003 Chris and David and their three children; Chelsea, Derek, and Emily were sealed in the Bountiful Temple. That was a wonderful experience and I am so happy that I was there. Their youngest daughter Rebecca was born six months later.

Not only is Chris my sister-in-law, she is also my neighbor. We don't live right next door to each other (although we used to live across the street from each other), Chris lives on the street next to ours. Consequently we live in the same ward. I have loved Chris and David's family being in the same ward as our family. For more than a year Chris and I served in the Young Women's organization together. I really enjoyed that time. Chris was Caitlin's leader, and I was Chelsea's leader. Caitlin loved having Chris as her Mia Maid advisor, she always enjoyed Chris's lessons. The first time that I heard Chris teach the Young Women was in a combined meeting one Sunday. A member of the Bishopric was there and Chris had to teach THAT lesson, you know, the one that nobody wants to teach (especially with a member of the Bishopric in the class). She did an awesome job and I was proud of her (and glad that I didn't have to teach it).

Some things to know about Chris: She is an organizer. She grew up in Michigan. She is fun to be with. When she gets an idea for a project, it's full speed ahead. She is the victim of two house fires. She loves her family. She can sing. She cares about others feelings. On a visit to Disneyland a bird got stuck in her hair (OH.MY.GOSH.). She creates beautiful scrapbooks. She likes Classic Winnie-The-Pooh. She can decorate. I'm so happy that Chris is in our family, we all love her.

Disneyland 2009: Chelsea, David, Chris, Derek, Emily, Becca

6 comments:

Bea said...

Lots of stories about Christine, but the one that always comes to mind fast. I was making a good breakfast and David was at Christine's. I called him and invited him to come eat and bring Christine. He indicated he had eaten so we said goodbye. A minute later he called back. They would come eat. Chris loves food, a girl after my own heart. She adds a lot to our family.

Marivic said...

I love Chris, but best of all I LIKE Chris. I haven't had the chance to spend that much time with her all these years but when I do I always feel comfortable when I'm with her. I always get the feeling she gets what I'm saying or whining about:-)Maybe because like me she is a Mom who works outside the home in a "world" where few do. She seems so real and down to earth like many of my friends, so I bet if we lived in Utah I would want to hang out with her often.

Lilian said...

I really love Christine!! We used to scrapbook together (we need to have a girl party and do that!) She's always been a good friend to me! She's a really good mom too! I have always been impressed with her children and with her making sure of their well being. It's the simple things.... like Sunscreen! ;-)

Melissa said...

Aunt Chris is awesome! I have appreciated the way that Adam sort of gravitates to her lol. I think that coming into our big awesome family Adam has always been a bit on the shy side (which is pretty funny to me) but he really appreciates how she always makes him feel comfortable. I also love talking Lost and The Office and Alias with her :) I didn't know she scrapbooked but I do remember the really cute invitations she made for my bridal shower! They required a lot of talent.

adrienne said...

So fun to hear all these stories about Chris that I probably wouldn't have otherwise! I've always been impressed with how nice Chris is when I've had the opportunity to spend time with her.

Margie said...

I love to talk to Chris. I love how real Chris is and how much she has embraced being part of this family. I feel of the support Chris has for family events and I really appreciate that about her. She is a hard worker and very talented person. When I talk to Chris, I really feel like she is listening to me and that she cares.
I love Chris too.