Friday, July 24, 2009

Family Friday: Featuring My Niece Chelsea

Several years ago a friend in my ward made a comment to me about a little girl in the Sunbeam class. Those golden curls around her beautiful, smiling face made her look absolutely "angelic" she said to me. She was referring to my niece Chelsea, who is being featured this week on Family Friday.

Chelsea and I have lived in the same neighborhood and ward since Chelsea was just 3 1/2 years old, and I have loved it. Nearly two years ago I was called to serve as 2nd counselor in the Young Women's organization where my primary responsibility was to oversee the Beehive class. Chelsea was the Beehive President. I enjoyed the opportunity I had to work with Chelsea, she was such a wonderful president and fulfilled her responsibilities. When it was time for her to move on to the Mia Maid class I was excited for her, but I was a little sad for me, I really missed her in the Beehive class. In Young Women's Chelsea refers to me as Sister Aunt Lesley.

Chelsea is a very talented girl. She has had ballet lessons, singing, and acting classes. She is very talented in the theater and has performed at Rodgers Memorial Theater in their youth productions. Most recently she performed in the BJHS production of Singin' In The Rain and she was wonderful.

One of the things that I love the very most about Chelsea is that she is such a good friend to Caitlin. Caitlin was nearly 20 months old when Chelsea was born. I was so happy for her to have a cousin so close to her age living nearby, I had no idea then that they would grow up together in the same ward and become as close as they are. They have been friends their entire lives. At our stake girls camp this summer I noticed that Chelsea and Caitlin were often together; eating meals, sitting around the campfire, at the devotionals, and they even bunked head to head. While at camp Chelsea and Caitlin got up in front of the entire stake (at the Stake Presidents request) to do "Da Moose, Da Moose" made famous at our previous stake girls camps by Granma. Each summer Chelsea, Caitlin, and their friend Danielle have an annual sleepover at our house. One of the sleepover traditions is a treasure hunt. You'd think teenage girls would be to old for a treasure hunt but no, it's a requirement for me, and a lot of fun for them. I teased Chelsea last year that one day we would be having a treasure hunt at her bridal shower. I was informed that they would never be to old.

Caitlin and Chelsea carrying on Granma's tradition with, "Da Moose, Da Moose"

Things to know about Chelsea: She has a beautiful singing voice. She's funny. She loves performing in musical theatre. She's a good cousin. Uncle Mike calls her Chelsea Lou. She loves Uncle Mikes pancakes. She has lots of friends. She's a good student. She is so quiet when riding in the car with you all the way to California and back, you would never know that she was there. I am so grateful that Chelsea is a part of our family and we love her so much.

5 comments:

Lilian said...

YAY! It's Chilly!! I absolutely LOVE Chelsea! She is always so sweet and kind. She and I have a special bond of understanding when it comes to little brothers! She's a good friend to my kids and I completely agree that she has a beautiful singing voice!! What a wonderful niece she is!

Melissa said...

I remember when Chelsea was born and my dad and I went to the hospital to see her. I was so excited to see my new baby cousin but they wouldn't let me because I was too young and not a sibling...so my first impression was disappointment in the hospital :)I'll never forget going a few days later to visit her at home with my mom and aunt Chris had her on the couch and was just looking at her. She just said she couldn't stop starring at her and couldn't believe that beautiful girl was hers. I remember thinking...I wonder if that's how I'll feel when I have a baby (because I thought it might be pretty boring to just sit and stare at a baby for hours and hours) now I think that is a really tender memory and the first one I remember of a new mom and her baby.

Marivic said...

Chelsea is beautiful and adorable! I was glad I was able to interact with her at the beach house. I could see why Tara and AJ like her. She is fun and real and would fit right in to their crowd if she ever visits us in Cali. I was tickled when she took a test on Facebook that declared her 100% native of a province in the Philippines. That was hilarious! Chilly is awesome.

Margie said...

Chelsea is adorable. She is so sweet and talented and I love her smile. I love being around Chelsea because she is so pleasant and kind. I have loved hearing her sing and perform. She is so talented and has such a great voice. She has a very sweet smile, and is always so generous in sharing her smile with everyone.

Bea said...

Poor Christine, while she is in labor the rest of us went to Crownburgers :o)/:o( she was sooooo hungry, BUT look what/who she labored for, Chelsea!!!! And Chelsea is a delightful, beautiful, talented addition to our family!!!!!!
I think I have a picture somewhere of Chelsea when she was about 18 months or so, eating spaghetti, she loved it so much she picked up the plate and licked it. What a beautiful red spaghetti saucey face:o)(I know I gave Christine a copy of the picture)