Friday, October 16, 2009

Family Friday: Featuring My Nephew Russell

I have just a few of my nieces and nephews left to feature on Family Friday. This week I'm featuring my nephew Russell who was born just 15 days after my daughter Ashleigh. I remember going over to visit Lilian, Cory, and Russell shortly after he came home from the hospital as a newborn; when we laid the two babies down on a blanket together, two-week-old Ashleigh turned her head and looked at Russell and smiled as if to say, "your here now."

Russell is the eldest of my sisters five boys. They are very close brothers and love each other very much. This picture, which was taken in 2006, is probably one of the last pictures that all five of the brothers were in together. Russell was just about to leave on his mission to Portland, Oregon. When Russell returned two years later, his brother Alan had just left for his mission. Four months after Russell returned home he was married in the Salt Lake Temple to his high school sweetheart; Jessica. They just celebrated their first wedding anniversary two weeks ago.

One of my most tender memories of Russell was on the day of his missionary "farewell". He gave a well prepared talk with such humility, sharing experiences that are very tender to our family. It really touched my heart. Russell was a good missionary, and a great example to his younger brothers who will follow in his footsteps.

In recent weeks I've worked at the Deli with Russell on several occasions. I've noticed that Russell is a real people person. He is friendly and outgoing with the customers and the other employees. The first day that he worked with a particular employee; an older lady, I could hear them talking together. She is from Sweden and as I listened to them talking I was amazed at how much Russell knew about Sweden. When she came into the kitchen she whispered to me, "he's delightful!"

I have discovered (as I have spent time at work and carpooling with Russell) that Russell is very intelligent. Whatever the subject may be, he knows something about it. I never cease to be amazed as I listen to him converse with a customer or a co-worker. Two of the many different topics that I've heard him talk about are movies and music. One day while driving home from work together, I asked Russell how does he know so much. He answered, "I watch special features." I think I'd better start to watch "special features" so that I can be interesting in a conversation as well.

Things to know about Russell: He is the firstborn Nielsen grandson. He attends Weber State University. He is a wonderful artist. He has a great imagination. He has written a book which he's hoping will soon be published. He is a very good writer. He makes a beautiful sandwich. He's friendly. He makes HOT chili. He's a good husband. He's a good son and brother. He has a nice singing voice. We are all grateful that Russell is in our family and we love him.

Russell and Jessica

7 comments:

Lilian said...

Awwww... my precious first born. How nice to wake up this morning and see such nice things written about Russell. He IS a good son and brother and husband. He's always been a great person and always happy. He most definitely is a people's person. He also has an amazing testimony and honors his priesthood. I love him.

Archie said...

One of my favorite memories of Russell is a time when he was young and we were visiting their home. Russell was telling jokes and making me laugh. Then he sat next to me on the couch and said "you know Uncle David?", and I replied "yes I do", he then said "I'm his duplicate". I couldn't stop laughing.

You're your own man now Russell.

:-) archie

Melissa said...

Russell has always been exciting to be around. One thing I admire about him is his persistence. He's pretty much always been an artist and had a creative imagination and has now carried that into adulthood to hopefully turn it into a career and make profit. If he never sells one book (or more than the members of his family and friends) he has still accomplished something he set out to do and fulfilled a dream that he has had since childhood...and how many adults can say they actually did what they set out to do as a child? I'm pretty sure my dad was never a forest ranger or a DJ so...congrats Russell, thats awesome

Anonymous said...

My husband is wonderful, isn't he.... :)

I agree with everything you've said, but I'd have to agree with Uncle Archie as well... Russell is funny. Almost anyone, of any age finds him funny, especially little kids. He tells me his goal in life is to make me laugh/smile everyday; and he has achieved that goal everyday I've known him, even when he was on his mission. He is very interesting (weird) and it makes life fun, and never boring. He is the love of my life. :)

heather said...

That last picture of them is beautiful!!!! Can't wait to see you and your new home tonight.

Bea said...

I remember that communication between Ashleigh and Russell. Absolutely no doubt she communicated with him. We all saw it and felt it. Do you remember we thought our fortunes were made because he was such a good little basketball player. He was great. Slam dunked! and dribbled like crazy! and was persistant in his efforts. He always loved his G'pa more than his G'ma, but that's ok. I like his G'Pa too. :o)

Margie said...

I loved reading this post and I agree with it all. Russell is a people person and he strives to make people happy. What a great gift to have in this world...to make people happy. I am impressed with Russell's goals and hard work.

I really like what Archie said about being your own man now. It is awesome to see our nieces and nephews grow up and come into their own.