Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"The Theatre, The Theatre....

....what happened to the theatre?" Remember Danny Kaye reciting that line in the movie White Christmas? I think I know what happened....all of their Moms collapsed after sewing costumes.

My oldest (Andy)and youngest (Caitlin) children are 15 years and 3 days apart. One thing that the two of them have in common is the love of musical theatre. Since last fall Caitlin has performed in three musicals at BHS and one at RMT. It has been my responsibility as a parent to provide Caitlin with a costume (remember my post last year about Les is Miserable?) for each show. So this year I did it again....made the costume a few days before the due date (please tell me I'm not the only parent that does that). A quick run down of my crazy, hectic, stress-out, last minute costumes.

8th grade Suessical The Musical; Caitlin was Thing 1. I literally finished this costume at midnight and was up at 6 am and on my way to the hospital for surgery (I knew I could stay up late and sew because I was going to get a good sleep during surgery).


This is the one costume that I had finished a week before the deadline. Caitlin played Babette in Beauty And The Beast in the 9th grade. This was not a costume to be avoided 'til the last minute, there were more than 10 pattern pieces just to the jacket (I did enjoy getting a new sewing machine).


Les was Miserable but I survived making this entire costume in one day (and I was cheerful when I finished). This was Caitlin's sophomore year.


And this year....West Side Story. I made this dress in just a few hours one evening last week (I added a gusset just hours before opening night). Caitlin is Graziella; a Jet girl and an amazing dancer. You can still see West Side Story the rest of this week and next Monday at BHS. Caitlin has tickets.


In all of Andy's years in musical theatre at BHS (I must do a post on his theatre days sometime) I don't recall ever making one costume (thanks son). But you know what they say in the theatre...."the show must go on..." and so must the Moms, because after all, it really is....FUN!!!

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'd say Les is Amazing! Wish I was a seamstress like you are. Caitlin is so lucky! I can't believe how fast she is growing up. She gets more beautiful every time I see her. :)

Karalee said...

What about those poor kids who have moms that don't sew???
You are amazing! I LOVE when our kids are involved in anything musical!

Lilian said...

Yeah... I dont sew. I'm glad Taylor's uniform is rented from the school.

All of those costumes are great Les. But since you were ablet to make mine and Marivic's wedding dresses, I have no doubt in your sewing talents for theater costumes.

Tiffany said...

I want to see it. Are there still tickets for Saturday? That's the only night we can go.

Aimee said...

Those costumes are amazing! Sewing is yet another one of those talents I lack that is on my 'someday I'll learn' list.

Anonymous said...

I need to come take lessons from you. Your creations are amazing. I am just starting down the road of costume making. Hailey will be in her first production, The Wizard of Oz, in Nov. I have to make a skirt, and vest for her to be a Munchkin. Not too bad to begin with. When it gets tougher I will have to give you a call!!

Bea said...

Way to go Lesley, and lucky Caitlin!!!!!
It isn't what the costume does for Caitlin, it's what Caitlin does for the costume.
And yes, she is talented. It is funny, the harder she practises the more talented she becomes!!!!!

Marivic said...

You've always been a great seamstress, Les! I still love my "designer" wedding gown :-)Caitlin looks great in all her costumes. Just glad I was never asked to sew during Tara's HS theatre days. Those who CAN sew. Those who can NOT, well- they pay :-)

Margie said...

Great costumes Les!! Caitlin does look darling and she does wear them well!! You are so talented!! What a lucky girl Caitlin is. I am paying for Megan's costume to be made for the WHS play. I haven't received the bill yet...and I am not looking forward to it. Lucky Caitlin...