Friday, October 2, 2009

Family Friday: Featuring My Sister (by marriage) Marivic

This week on Family Friday I'm featuring another of my sibling "in-laws"; Marivic. While serving a mission in the Philippines, my brother Alan met his future wife, he recognized right away that there was something special about this young woman. While Alan was still on his mission, Marivic was called to serve a mission in another Philippine mission. After Marivic's mission was completed, Alan went back to the Philippines to court her. A few months later Marivic arrived in the United States and they were married in the Salt Lake Temple on April 26, 1985.

I love this picture of Marivic as a child, it is the inspiration of the title of her blog Little Grumpy Angel. Marivic's blog attracted a lot of attention and she made a lot of new friends in the blogging world, recently Marivic started a new blog titled Thankful For The Ride which she shares with the extended family. She is a wonderful writer and so enjoyable to read, she was featured in Mormon Women last month in an article written by herself. It is well worth reading. I've learned a lot of interesting things that I didn't know about Marivic as I have read her blog, and I've seen a few pictures that have "surprised" me too (such as the one below).
Marivic (front and center) and co-workers. Is this what is commonly known in the workplace as casual Friday?

Although for most of the nearly twenty-five years that I have known Marivic she has lived outside of Utah, I always feel comfortable when I am with her. I have stayed in her home on several occasions and we have shared many vacations together. Nearly three years ago Mike and I spent several days in Southern California with Marivic and Alan. The four of us spent a day at Disneyland and a few days at the beach. One day the four of us just sat on the beach talking for hours without moving from our spot. One of the things I love about Marivic is that she is always uplifting to be around. She is a positive influence and I always feel good when I am with her. Marivic has met with opposition and heartbreak in her life; she has faced these experiences with dignity and grace. She is a great example to me.

Things you may or may not know about Marivic: She is a very talented writer and photographer. She is popular in the blog world. She's always fun to be with. She doesn't like water, but in an attempt to be a good sport she went on a ride at a water park and had to be rescued by a lifeguard. Marivic always looks good, she knows clothes and how to wear them. I always feel welcome and comfortable in her home. She collects Madame Alexander dolls. When she arrived in the US she lived in our home for several weeks until her wedding day. She has been a United States citizen for many years. She keeps herself aprised of all the current issues. She has good taste in decorating her home. She's a good wife and Mother. Marivic works as a Revenue Manager for a large hotel chain, in other words; she is very important. To the family she is known as VicVic. She is the Ate (big sister) in her family, and treats me as the Ate (respected position) in my family. She graduated from college in the Philippines. She is very smart. She's a good sport. She is an artist. She likes chocolate. She likes to read good books. She is funny. We are all grateful and blessed to have Marivic in our family, and we love her.

Marivic's family: Alan, Marivic, Tara, and AJ

6 comments:

Bea said...

I remember the day she arrived in SL.
G'pa and I were at the gate as the passengers are de-planing, but WHERE IS ALAN????? which one of these girls belongs to us???????
fortunately Alan arrived just as VicVic did.
And then there was the day she got her citizenship. She told G'pa he couldn't tease her anymore, she was an American now and she had rights.
As if that would make any difference to G'pa.
But we are glad she is here.
A great lady!!!!

Alan said...

My wife can be goofy (i.e. KISS stunt) but I love that about her. Come to think of it I love everything about her!

Archie said...

I sure enjoy talking with you Marivic. We were recently at your home and enjoyed Alan's BBQ chicken, & your potatoes and corn...excellent meal! You are a great sister-in-law, and hostess. -Julee

I liked reading this post about Marivic. It reminded me of the amazing things I learned about Marivic, when I wrote about her for my culture class. Wonderfully written Leslie! -Aubree

Marivic said...

Oh, it's me! Thanks Ate Les! I appreciate the nice things you wrote about me. You made me sound like such a neat person :-) I hope I can become the kind of person the people who love me think I am :-)

heather said...

What a great sister you are! Miss you guys.

Lilian said...

Marivic is a big person in a tiny body. I have always loved her and am so glad she is in our family. She is generous with her work perks and always happy to help. She has an amazing testimony and I have always been inspired by that.