
I am pretty observant about the circumstances of the food that I'm eating; who prepared it, where it was prepared, are hands washed....you get the idea. I work part-time as a manager in a food establishment and I am always watching my fellow employees and making sure that things are done correctly, and the fact that I recently took the food handlers test has made me even more observant and insistent that things are done right.
Last week while traveling to St. George I stopped at a well known fast food restaurant in Beaver. I watched the workers preparing the food, running the register, and so forth....after eating I went to order a shake for Caitlin, when the young man brought it to me I noticed some foreign-orange-miniscule-object on the rim of the cup. When I pointed it out to him he dumped it out and started again, at which point I took the opportunity to kindly ask him why none of the emplyees were wearing gloves, much to the mortification of Caitlin, Chris, and Chelsea who were sitting at a table nearby. I thought it was a reasonable question?
I was eating at a popular restaurant one day when I saw an employee (from the kitchen) enter the restroom wearing an apron. A few minutes later the employee emerged from the restroom still wearing the apron and went back to the kitchen. Employees aren't supposed to wear their aprons in the restroom.
Friday morning I was shopping at my local grocery store. I went to the butcher block to purchase a rump roast. I love purchasing meat from the butcher block, I feel like I'm in Mayberry or in Sam's Butcher Shop on the "Brady Bunch". The butcher was weighing out the meat (no gloves) and talking to me, suddenly he took his baseball cap off of his head and rubbed his hand vigorously back and forth several times over his crew cut and then put his cap back on. I was shocked. If he's going to do that right in front of a customer, what's he doing when we can't see him? Fortunately he had already put plastic on my roast and he used the other hand to wrap the white paper around it. I ask you, what's a girl to do? I mean do you suggest to a butcher (who has tons of big knives) that he should not rub his head and wrap meat at the same time? Do any of you have any eating out/grocery store horror stories?
13 comments:
OH MY HECK-that is NASTY the meat guy did that. I always wonder about the fast food people handling money yet still touch your food...
We stopped at a fast food restaurant in Beaver years ago and there was FECES all over the bathroom counter and door. I told managment and even contacted the corporate offices. NO ONE SEEMED TO CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I once returned cheese fries to Training Table because there was a hair on them, the person turned around, removed the hair and handed them back to me. I was SHOCKED.
I can't think about this anymore.
PS Where are we eating on Tuesday!?
Oh lesley...I figure I'm going to cook it and heat the germs up anyway...
I love that you care so much
You would never survive in China
Yes, I do. While at a Pretzel place, you know the big salty, soft pretzels that melt in your mouth, well as I was waiting in line, Jim came and grabbed my arm and pulled me from the line. I was very irritated because I had waited, and it was my turn next. Jim said didn't you just see what she did? She took that persons money and went right back molding the pretzels. Well, needless to say we have never eaten there again.
Another time my sister ordered some fried rice from a local Chinese place (which is no longer around) and half way through eating from the box she found a Christmas tree hook. (This was in June) Yuck!!!
And by the way, Thanks for the kind surprize on my door step!! You are so thoughtful.
My favorite was at a buffet back when I was about 13. Mom, my sister and I were headed home on a two day drive back from vacation.
The waitress came by to ask how everything was. My Mom pointed to me and said, he didn't like the fish. I hadn't intended to say anything.
The lady came over to me, looked at my plate, picked up the fish that was on my plate, turned it over to examine both sides, placed it back on my plate and asked "what's wrong with it?"
I hear ya cluckin' big chicken!
You know my feelings on this... hence the I won't eat the licorice out of the bucket at the supply desk!!! I get laughed at for my "wierdness" too. Whatever!
okay, my story was at Steve's company Christmas party which I have a hard time attending anyway. Of all the places to hold a party it was in their warehouse!! I was watching the caterer's and one of them took the lovely silver lids off the dishes, put in on the floor (the same way it went on the food), stirred things up and then replaced the lids. I watched as they used the restroom and imagined all kinds of gross things. Not a fun Christmas party for me!
I also hate peanut butter cookies because I got paper and a toothpick baked into one of mine in school lunch as a child. The cooks told me "no, you didn't" when I showed it to them.
All of these stories (amazing btw) are reminding me of more food incidents. Mike and I were once at a restaurant with Steve and Becky (notice I haven't mentioned names of any restaurants). I was enjoying a Cobb Salad when suddenly appeared mixed up in my salad an entire piece of plastic wrap, eeewwwww!!!
EWWWW. Reading your post and all of the comments makes me sick! I always hate thinking about this. I had to take a multi-day food safety class for a job I had and was completely disgusted by just food safety issues.
I learned in that class that most of the time we are sick, it's due to what we eat (how it's handled, freshness, etc.).
Yuck!
All of these stories are making me never want to eat out again! Yuck!!!!
Okay.... I have a story for ya, and it has nothing to do with fast food or restaurants.
A couple of years ago Cory and the boys went to central Utah on the annual go cut down the Christmas tree adventure. (I fell out of love with this tradition a long time ago and I'm not sorry). Anyway, after the success of getting the perfect tree they went to Grandma Lila's house for lunch. Well, Aunt Tammy had some hot chocolate waiting for them. As the boys sipped the chocolate they mentioned that it was not very warm. So what did Aunt Tammy do??? She stuck her finger in each mug of chocolate to check the temperature. For some reason she couldn't figure out why the boys were no longer interested in drinking it.
Don't even get me started on the soggy peanuts at the same house..... It should really be one of the family top ten and I don't know if everyone has heard it. Cory hates that story.... hehehehehe
You will always find your food fresh and prepared by employees who continually wash their hands and keep their store clean at a little place called LEGER'S DELI in North Salt Lake and Sandy
G'pa has has several unsavory experiences but I am not going to print them, but yes you do scare me into not eating out but.........
And I have been to the Leger's Deli that Jeff mentions and I have only had good experiences there. the food is good the workers friendly and the prices are good. :o)
I dont think I want to know whats going on behind the counter! I would never eat out if I had that info. I was watching the Tira show and they had a waitress on who said that if they droped the food on the floor they could pick it up and put it back on the plate if it was done in the three sec rule. Nasty!
Post a Comment