Friday, March 6, 2009

Mike & Les: Destined To Be?

....So, new friendships had been formed. Me and "K"; Chris and "A"; and Mike and Pam. For two weeks we did quite a few things together and we had a lot of fun. "K" was a nice guy....but he really wasn't my type. On the other hand, the more time we spent as a group I was noticing Mike. I observed that Mike was very humble; he didn't talk a lot, or about himself; he didn't need to be the center of attention, and he had such a nice smile. One night the six of us went roller skating at the old Rustic Rink in North Salt Lake. During the evening there was a "girls skate" segment where all the guys sat on the sidelines and only the girls skated. As we skated around the room with music blasting and lights flashing we would pass the guys and wave or smile or....WINK! Did I actually wink....at MIKE!?! The guy that wasn't my date!?! I did!! Another lap around the roller rink....and I did it again!! And nobody knew it but me and him (oh BTW, he winked back). Things were about to change.

There was an upcoming girls dance at Viewmont High School. Pam was going to ask Mike. In "those days" (I can't believe I actually referred to the 70's as "those days"...sigh) you just asked someone to a dance, and they answered you. So easy; so un-complicated. I remember standing in the northwest hallway at VHS near a wall of windows, I could see Pam and Mike in the distant parking lot talking. She was asking him to the dance. A moment later he got into his truck and drove away and Pam came back into the building where I was waiting for her. She looked at me and shrugged her shoulders as she informed me that he had said "no". She was very confused. So was I.

That night I had just washed my hair and gone to bed with a wet head when my Mom came to my bedroom and told me that Mike was at the front door. Mike was here at my house? What did he want? Maybe he wanted to explain to me why he wasn't going to go to the dance with Pam. Whatever his reason, I was certainly curious. I hurriedly threw on some clothes and took a quick inventory of myself in the mirror, threw a hat on my wet head and went to meet my fate.

Mike had indeed come over to explain to me why he didn't want to go to the dance with Pam....because he liked me. In fact, it turns out that Mike was interested in me as far back as our 1st semester English class, and on the day of the farewell when he had come out to the car he had seen me sitting in it and had hoped that I was his date (if you guessed that it was love at first sight for Mike, you were right!). He had much to say to me (including asking me to go out with him), but the words I remember most were when he told me that he was sure that I was the girl he was going to marry. Wait until you find out what I told him!

10 comments:

Tiffany said...

I KNEW HE WAS THE ROMANTIC TYPE! He told you he was sure you were the girl he was going to marry?? Ah-so sweet. I can't believe the audacity you had to wink at another girl's date-it must have all been destined. I had no idea "your story" was so romantic. I really think it is. (But then again, if I compare any story to mine and Mikes, it seems romantic!)

Margie said...

OH MY GOSH!! Les, what a flirt!! A wink to your "friends" date!! All is fair in LOVE and war. I can't believe Mike was talking about marriage BEFORE your first date. I guess he knew what he wanted and he was going for it. It must be something about those Marsden children, because early on in our dating, Tim said to me, "You are special to me" I quickly replied "I love you too."

Can't wait to learn more...

BobN said...

A wink at someone who wasn't your date? How positively scandalous! :-)

Stephanie said...

I LOVE this story! You guys are so cute! I totally dig the awesome pictures too. :)

Bea said...

I have some books that I enjoy and have read many times over the years. One particular authoress I have been reading since I was introduced to her writings when I was 16, so you can fill in the number of times I have read her stories. This story falls into that category, it never gets stale.
Can't wait for the next installment. :o)

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Great move, Les! If you want him, go get him, or at least wink at him, right?:-)It's fun to read the details of you and Mike's love story. It's like a 70's Jane Austen, except I have to wait for you to write the next chapter. Well, at least I know there is a happy ending.

adrienne said...

I love reading about your "scandalous" love story!!

Lilian said...

Oh my gosh!! What did you say??????? I hope this story has a happy ending!

Lesley said...

Stay tuned 'til next week and you'll find out!!

em said...

These are such fun stories to share! We think Caitlin looks JUST LIKE her dad in this picture! You guys are so cute!!!