Thursday, March 26, 2009

Mike & Les: The Spirit Of '76

It was the year 1976. The bi-centennial of the independence of our country; the Pittsburgh Steelers won Super Bowl X; the Oscar went to Rocky for best picture; Charlie's Angels and Happy Days were two of the countries favorite TV shows; the Teton Dam collapsed; Jimmy Carter was elected President; Hotel California was released by the Eagles; Bohemian Rhapsody was a big hit; Mike and Les graduated from High School....

I'm going to share just a few random memories about the summer of '76. It started with a Memorial weekend camping trip with my family to Zions National Park. My siblings all loved Mike from the very start (how many boyfriends say to their girlfriends younger brother, "do you want to take my horse for a spin around the block?"). They loved him even more when on the camping trip my Mom treated us all to steaks on the grill (a rare treat; not rare as in rare meat but rare as in seldom). Mike did not eat steak (still doesn't) so you can imagine all of the volunteers eager to take it off his hands.

Mike's family had been planning for a trip to Tennessee in June for several months. They were going to be gone for two weeks. Before Mike left I considered the idea that some time apart might be good for us, we had been inseparable since we'd started dating 3 1/2 months earlier. Two weeks turned out to be a lot longer than I thought it would be. I missed Mike so much. Remember, in "those days" there was no such thing as e-mail, cell phones, or text messaging and making a long distance phone call (using a dial up phone that was connected to the wall with a cord only a couple of feet long), was very expensive (I think there was a phone call...or two). For years when Mike's family would reminisce about their trip to Tennessee, they would tell the story of how each night as they stopped at motels Mike would take out our prom picture and display it on the nightstand next to his bed. Isn't that cute!?! Or is it cheesy? I know, I know.... Needless to say we were very happy to be reunited after two long weeks.

Mike worked at Safeway at the old 5 Points Shopping Center. For awhile his shift was 3-midnight. We would spend our days together and then he went to work. Every night at about 12:15 he knocked on my bedroom window (basement) to say goodnight on his way home.

We used to have a drive-in theater in Bountiful, located where Colonial Square is now. The drive-in had a $3 a carload deal and so on weekends we went to the drive-in. Sometimes we would load up the back of Mike's truck with my siblings and their friends, I think we definitely got our money's worth and a lot of great memories.

One Monday night (family night) my parents planned a miniature golfing trip as a family. My Mom said that I couldn't see Mike that night, that I needed to spend time with my family. With the exception of the Tennessee trip I don't think that there was ever a day that we didn't see each other. I was obedient and went with my family. When we got home I saw Mike drive by our house, then he drove by again. I was watching out of the window as he drove by another time, finally my Mom gave in and said, "go call him." He was at my house in a moments time and we were never apart again.

Next time: An engagement

8 comments:

Bea said...

What a mean Mother :o(
Was that the year, after the Handcart Days parade,you all piled into Mike truck and went to see "Shake" and "Bake" at the drive-in?
Midnight trysts!!!!!! I'm sure I didn't know about it at the time. :o)
I did know about it before this post though. :o)

Tiffany said...

AAAH-He was driving by your house. Cute! Your story is so fun-it makes me smile. What a great way to record it. I hope Caitlin is enjoying reading it too.

adrienne said...

You guys were so cute! I love the picture by the nightstand and the driving by your house repeatedly!

Stecky said...

Thanks for a happy thought on a dreary day. I love hearing the story!

Karalee said...

I love these posts! I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the next installment;)

Lilian said...

I remember the nights at the drive-in! I remember Mike being at our house all the time! I remember that I've loved him from the beginning!

Margie said...

You two are still so cute together. I am glad you posted these memories, and you know as well as I know that I have NO room to talk but...this is how my thinking changed..

1st Would you now let Caitlin go on a trip with a boy when she is 17years old?

2nd How would you feel about a boy knocking on Caitlin's window at 12:15 a.m each night?

3rd Drive in movies? Of course with siblings it would be okay!!

LOL, I think I am getting old!! And we do live in different times.
I don't like when people ask me how old I was when I started dating Tim.

em said...

Does Jer look JUST like you or what, Lesley?! I showed him this picture and he was dying at how much he looks like you! ;) It's so fun to hear these stories and to see these pix! Post more pix, plz, I have been saving them away in my family albums so that Mason can have pictures of his grandparents when they were young! ;)