Last Saturday night Mike and I went to see the movie Knowing starring Nicholas Cage. I won't give away any of the details about the movie except to tell you about the opening scene.It is the year 1959 and a brand new elementary school is opening it's doors to students. To celebrate the opening of the school, the children are filling a time capsule with their own art work to be opened by the students who will attend the school 50 years later.....
In 2002 my daughter was just beginning the 4th grade. A new parking lot in the front of the school was near completion. Of course in order to facilitate a new parking lot a great deal of landscaping had to be removed, including a pine tree that was planted in 1967.
It just so happens that in 1967 I was a student at the same elementary school my daughter attended, and when the pine tree was planted a time capsule was buried beneath it.
After it had been found, an announcement was made at the school that the time capsule had been discovered and that the contents were on display in the office. Of course I was very interested, so one day I went by the school to see what treasure had been discovered.
The time capsule held class lists with the signatures of every student. I was in the 3rd grade; Mrs. Baty's class.
My class's paper was quickly produced and there right before my eyes was my 3rd grade signature, bearing a slight similarity to my signature today. I was so excited! The office made me a copy of my own and I consider it to be a real treasure.There's me. # 21. Do any of you think that this qualifies as a tender moment?
10 comments:
A time capsule!! My girlfriend and I did one in high school, buried it at a city park to be opened in 5 years. It was sooo fun to read, even though it had only been 5 years. We redid another one to be opened 5 years after that. We were stupid (or smart) enough to put our full names, phone numbers etc. so when a man was "metal detecting" at a park he found it-and guess what-it was only a few weeks shy of when we were supposed to open it. I love those kind of things-kind of like your "12 years old letter."
Not only is it a tender moment, it is also VERY COOL! Almost 40 years later and there it is! SO COOL!
Les it's a super tender moment. I was in the first grade then. Do they still have the stuff? I want to see if my name is in there.
Wow, that's really cool! We did a time capsule when I was 6 or 7 since we would be the graduating class of 2000. I remember putting my own things in it. . .hmmmm, now this has me wondering if it was opened in 2000, and is also making me wonder WHY I WASN'T told about it!! I have some research to do! ;)
Yes, your signature does look the same ....that's very cute to have this!
Jacob just noticed that you were in the 4th grade with Steve Martin!
That is really cool Les!! What a tender moment!! I'm glad that you shared that on your blog. What did you think of the movie???? Is is worth seeing???
Margie-I really liked the movie. It is just like the kind of movies I used to watch with my brothers when we were little on Saturday afternoons. It is suspenseful and spooky. It didn't get high ratings from the SLT but I recommend it.
Whoever thought they would live to see a time capsule again. I'm no good I wasn't in a time capsule. I AM A TIME CAPSULE. This is fun to look at the names of kids you went to school with eons ago. :o)Clever to get a copy. You are one smart lady.
I just realized. When you were in
3rd grade, Mrs Baty's class, your baby sister was born. Now she is a time capsule. :o)
Lesley #21?!!?!? I thought that was MY number!!
Post a Comment