I've been at my "new" job for several weeks now and recently had an experience that I think qualifies as a top ten work story (I think my friends at the Dr.'s office will enjoy it...I miss you guys!).
A young man (twenty-ish) came into my place of employment and struck up a random conversation with me (he was so friendly and talkative that my co-workers thought we knew each other). He had just gotten home early the day before from back east, where he had just been married.
"You got married? When?" I asked.
"Two days ago." He replied. He looked so happy; almost glowing.
I could see the shiny, new, gold band on his left hand. I wondered where his bride was, after all....wasn't this practically their honeymoon?
He continued talking to me as if we were longtime aquaintances instead of complete strangers. "My parents don't know about it yet."
"They don't know you got married!?" I started to cut and then wrap his sandwich.
"I don't know how to tell them that they have a new son-in-law," he said.
I didn't flinch, my mouth didn't drop open (I did stifle a teeny, tiny giggle); I just handed him his sandwich and said the exact same thing I was about to say when I thought that he'd married a girl without telling his parents, "you'd probably better make sure that they are sitting down, and then break it to them gently."
I think that that advice might have been a little more applicable in this situation.
Oh my....I do live a sheltered life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
So what advice would you have given? Sheltered life!!!! I don't think so........
Mother-I just added an additional "that" to my 2nd to the last sentence. It has a different meaning than you understood.
I'm trying to imagine how I would have reacted and am not quite sure. I probably would have had a shocked look on my face, but it sounds like you handled your reaction pretty well. I DEFINITELY live a sheltered life!
Yes, the additional "that" does make a difference
What a world we live in. I have been impressed with the direct detail the Primary has gone into this year in spelling out gender roles and differences. The world is screaming otherwise to them, so we better be clear in teaching correctly!!
I live a sheltered life and I'm glad!!
I've never lived a sheltered life in this regard. My dad's cousin who was all out gay hang out with our family all the time. I also have cousins who are gay. Gender roles were very clearly defined in my family, but the cousins were still gay as gay can be. I now have friends who are gay and who have significant people in their lives. So despite being LDS, talking to gay people about their partners doesn't really faze me. As long as we stay away from talking about Prop 8, the "girls" and I are cool.
Post a Comment