Friday, March 19, 2010

BONUS Family Friday! Featuring LESLEY! (Written by her favorite sister!)

Lesley seems to think that her Family Friday Feature is complete. However, I beg to differ. Our family is NOT complete without Lesley. Of course she isn’t going to go write a big post about how wonderful she is, so as her favorite (and only) sister, I am going to take the opportunity to do it for her.

Lesley is the first born of our parents. She was born in Belfast Northern Ireland. Just a couple of months after her birth our parents took her to the London LDS temple for it’s dedication. Soon after the dedication they were able to be sealed together as a family. Lesley may have been the only one of the children there in body. But I’m sure we were all there in spirit.

Lesley only lived in Northern Ireland for a few short years before she and our parents, along with our brothers Archie and Timothy, emigrated to the United States and made their home in West Bountiful, UT. It wasn’t until after our brother Alan, and I were born that they became citizens of the United States.
Lesley met Michael in high school and were married within a year of graduation. Their oldest son Andy was born shortly before their first wedding anniversary. Not long after that they moved to Duchesne County; Jeff was born while they lived there. Then the time finally came for them to move back to West Bountiful where Jeremy, Ashleigh and Caitlin were born.

Lesley has always been a very loving and devoted mother. After three sons were born and a daughter came, she was so delighted. They were all so happy, all the boys loved their baby sister. Lesley lovingly cared for her baby girl until the moment that Ashleigh passed away. I remember myself being so heartbroken for her, but I also remember seeing my sister as a pillar of strength.
Her testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ shone through and it was clear to me at that time, and still, that she loves our Father in Heaven and knows His plan for us. I can’t speak for them, but I do believe that she is also a wonderful mother-in-law and loves the women who are married to her sons. She is also a wonderful grandma too! Even though it is difficult to think that MY SISTER is a grandma! Ha ha!!!
I suppose I should be used to it by now since Adam is almost 8 yrs. old. As well as the fact that in the next few months there will be three more! (One of them at anytime!) Lesley loves to have “Grandma Days” with the little boys and I’m sure as the other little ones get bigger they will get their turn.

Something that everyone MUST know about Lesley - She HATES birds. Dead or Alive… she hates them. For whatever reason they scare the heck out of her. If she knows there is a dead bird on the street she will cross the road in order to not have to pass by, or see it. I was with her in London England one day and as we walked through St. James’ Park we came across a HUGE bird sitting on a bench. Forgetting her fear, I asked her to stand there for a picture. She actually complied…. right as the bird was starting to spread it’s wings!!! What a good sport!
While she hates birds, there is something else that she absolutely LOVES! T’ocean! (THE OCEAN). She loves to go to the beach and just sit and stare at t’ocean. As often as funds and time will allow we go to the beach house in Capistrano and spend a week there. Lesley loves everything about being there. And never likes to leave. There have been times when the tears have come when leaving. There was another time she forgot to leave the key. Now it sits in a shadow box as a memento from the beach. She has another trip planned to be there soon! I will get to be there with her too and it will be so wonderful!

In December of 1985 Lesley had a family Christmas party in the living room of her home in West Bountiful There was approximately 20 people there. It was so much fun she had another one the next year, and the next, until one year as the family was clearly growing, she began having the party at the cultural hall of her ward building. With anywhere from 60 to 70 people (or more!) What started as a small gathering with dinner, a few games, caroling and a visit from Santa. Has now become the highlight event of the year. With dinner, a major talent show, contests, games and the visit from Santa!! I think sometimes we look more forward to Lesley’s party than Christmas itself. I know that for my family it’s like Christmas can’t start until we’ve been to Lesley’s party!

Lesley is kind to everyone she meets. When we were traveling home from England in 1997, we had to get through U.S. Customs in JFK in New York. They are GRUMPY people there and we had already been on a long flight (we both hate to fly). I remember this mean looking grumpy man lifting a bag to Lesley and she very sweetly and politely said, “Thank you.” He just grumbled and looked away. I then asked Lesley, “why bother being so kind to someone so rude and obnoxious?” Lesley simply told me that it was because it didn’t matter how the other person was treating her, she was going to be kind. I’ve always remembered that and have tried to have the same attitude. (I would have told the guy in customs what he could have done with his freckles!)

I love spending time with Lesley. As I’ve gotten older she’s become one of my best friends and we have lots of fun together. Sometimes she calls to invite themselves over for a movie night. She always asks if it’s okay that they invited themselves and I always say “Of course!” There have even been a few times when I have thought to call and invite them but they beat me to it and invite themselves first. We always have a lot of fun together.

Some things to know about Lesley: She collects nativities. She made my wedding dress. She made our sister-in-law Marivic’s wedding dress. She has sewn countless costumes. She makes beautiful baby blankets. She has a beautiful singing voice and has sung with dad, Echoes of the Heart and We Also Sing, as well as Starflite! She was once called on down on The Price is Right. She LOVES that Mr. Darcy! Sometimes when she tells a funny story she laughs so hard while she’s telling it, that everyone else is laughing hard too… although they have no idea what she’s saying because she's laughing too hard. She can’t sit through a movie without talking, or asking “What just happened?” She was once bucked off a horse. She has had skin cancer. She used to live in a log cabin. She likes Cavanaughs Mindy Mints. The family likes to tease her about being a bit ditsy at times… like snow on top of buses in June… in California, or the Lake at Yellowstone… “no Les, that’s the sky”. She has a very strong testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. She has served in many callings and served in them well. She is a daughter of God and she knows it. She is a good mother, grandmother, wife, daughter, aunt, cousin, sister and friend. She is an amazing example of love, kindness, and patience. And through all the things she has dealt with, Lesley still has JOY. She brings me great JOY knowing she is my sister. I love her so much! Thank you Lesley for the amazing job you have done in making each one of us in the family feel special. You are special to each and every one of us too!!


Lesley and her family at Disneyland June 2009

22 comments:

Bea said...

It is appropiate that Mother is first. Lesley always refers to me as "Mother". I think the reason she is afraid of birds is this: when we lived in Belfast we used to cross a field (a common grassy area by the elementary school) to visit my friend. One day Lesley disappeared and was found at my friend's house, she had walked there all by herself (3 years old). That field was a favorite flying area for seagulls and as she walked they would have swooped down to see her. That is the only explanation I have because one day she was ok the next she was afraid of birds.
She is ALL that you say Lilian and then some. You have done a beautiful job in honoring her.
I always like to call her, "an elect lady" because she is.

Archie said...

Awesome post Leenz!!!

Family Friday's have had a profound and positive impact on our family and friends that I simply can't do it justice except to say that that's my big sister.

I grew up with a big sister who totally loved me and looked out for me. When Lesley began at Centerville Jr. High I used to give her money sometimes a quarter here or there and she would buy me supplies at the book store Like Pee Chee folders and this little mini pens. When it was time for me to go to jr. high Les totally prepped me for the experience. She used to say things like "now Arch when you walk down the halls you need to walk down the middle with your head up, don't hug the walls like some scared 7th-grader...everyone will say hi to you, even pretty girls so make sure you smile and say hi back..."

Les was spot on in her advice and it made a big difference in my jr. high experience.

Lesley also would encourage me to get out there and dance and church dances like my very first Beehive & Scout dance (do they still have those?)

She would give me advice on how to dress and how to treat girls. Especially good advice. :-)

When I was a sophomore at Viewmont Lesley would always say hi to me when ever she saw me and would often say "hey Arch do you have any money?". It always made my day when I actually did have some money to share. In fact Lesley and I are in the yearbook that year and she's asking me that question at a football game.

Like many of you I live for the Christmas party each year and enjoy family gatherings of any kind. Family Friday's has been an online family gathering that will live on and on in our hearts and minds.

For me it just makes sense that Les would do that because that's who she is. So far Lesley has experienced a lot of joy and some pain in life, but she continues to shine forth and express never-ending gratitude for the nominations.

From those early days years ago to today I continue to look to my big sister Lesley for advice and example and she has never let me down.

I can't imagine my life without her and I thank my Father in Heaven for her.

Archie said...

I love you Les with all my heart!

Melissa said...

I love Aunt Lesley. I look up to her, not only as my Aunt but also as the big sister of all the Marsden children. As the big sister of my family I was always told to be "the glue" like Aunt Lesley. My mom has often refered to her as "The Glue" and I think Family Friday and Lesley's Family Christmas Party are evidence of how she loves her family and tries to bring us closer together.

I loved the story of Aunt Lesley and the Grumpy person at customs. I think that is the epitome of who she is. I don't think I have ever been witness of her saying an unkind thing about anyone. She has such a sweet voice and sweet mannerisms I don't think it is possible for her to sound mean.

She has always made me feel loved and welcome in her home. She has always made me feel important. I love how kind she is to her brothers and sister and mom and dad.

I didn't realize until a couple of years ago how funny she is, even if it is unintentional at times, but even when she "pulls a Lesley" i.e. thinking lake v sky and snow in So. Cal in JUNE she is always good to laugh at herself and enjoy the moment which is a good trait to have.

I will surely miss F.F. as it has officially come to a close, but I think it has been very enlightening and at times, a very spiritual experience. Thanks to Lesley's dedication I have learned to appreciate each one of my family members in a different way.

Thanks for F.F. Les! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I love my Aunt Lesley! I have had wonderful memories with her the past 19 years of my life. I love the Yellowstone trip with her, the Questar Lagoon Trips, the family Christmas party but most importantly July 10. The day we were both born! She is a excellent birthday buddy! Thank you Aunt Less for the wonderful family friday blogs and thank you Aunt Lillian for writing such a tender hearted blog about your sister!

Alyssa!
I love you Aunt Lesley and Aunt Lilian!

Tiffany said...

Who couldn't love Lesley? Though I've only known her for five years, we have shared A LOT of laughter, tears, lunches, and good moments. I am so blessed to have such a good friend. I love you Lesley!

Alan said...

I sometimes jokingly call Lesley "Ate" (pronounced: AH-tee)because that's what they call older sisters in the Philippines as sign of respect. I have always respected Lesley. She has always been the best big sister. I love the old home movie, included in Mom & Dad's 50th Anniversary video, that shows the four oldest kids playing canoe on a cot while camping and my big sister urging me (not quite 4-years-old) to look at the camera and wave. She took me out to SLC to see Jaws when I was 12. She invited me over for a steak dinner when she and Mike were newlyweds. She let me come hang out at her house when she lived in Duchesne, etc. She (and Mike) welcomed my girl from the Philippines into her home, even giving her the master bedroom. Then, as Lilian said, made her wedding dress. She came to Reno to tend my kids. She's visited me in every town we've lived in. She's a wonderful aunt. My kids love her and that includes Christopher. Marivic and I loved spending a few days together with Lesley and Mike at t'ocean and Disneyland a few years back. Lesley is indeed the glue and we all love and appreciate her here in Rocklin.

Ammanda Ann said...

That was a really good Family Friday and I'm glad we got to read about Aunt Lesley!

Caitlin Rose said...

I am so happy that aunt lilifreakinlin wrote this about my mommy!! My mother is the greatest mom EVER! i am so lucky! She is always so kind to everyone and always is taking opportunitys to teach me. I hope to be like her when i grow up! :)

Andy said...

Mom's the best!

Margie said...

Sorry :) The deleted comments were me I was signed in under Melissa

I have been looking forward to Lesley's turn as our Family Friday Feature! I love Lesley...always have and always will. She is such a wonderful example to me and I have learned so much from her over the years.

Lesley is very unselfish and very kind. I could write countless stories of her goodness and unselfish graciousness.

It all began for me when Mike & Les drove Tim to Salt Lake to pick me up for our first date. Tim did not have his license and felt he could ask Mike and Les for a ride and a double date together. I immediately connected with Les and had a wonderful time talking to her and being with her. Les is a great listener and a great talker too. We have had countless hours of conversations over the years and I have loved that about Les. She is always interested in other people and very fun to talk to.

Les is very talented and generous in sharing her talents. I remember when Melissa was born Lesley made a beautiful red and white heart quilt and bumper pads for my new baby. She always puts such special detail and care into whatever she does. It meant so much to me that she would do that.

As a family we have been so blessed to have Les create and go to a lot of work and effort to give the wonderful gift and tradition of her Christmas party. It is a treasured tradition that has made magical memories for all of us.

I am very grateful for all the thought, time and effort that Les has put into Family Friday's. It has been such a powerful experience for all of us to share in. Even though the last family member has finally been nominated (thanks Lilian!) it is not over. The love for each other has deepened and developed in a greater more profound way that will carry on not only in the heart, but is documented by the written word for generations to come.

Melissa already mentioned how I have referred to Les as the glue of the family. I have no doubt she was meant to come first to help the rest of us along the way. Les has done a great job at setting the example of being the big sister to all her siblings and siblings that have married into the familiy.

I love you Les and I am glad you are my big sister!!

Archie said...

JuLee says....
Leslie, I love you and I love talking with you about everything, even including what a RSVP means..Thank you for taking care of each one of us. You are a wonderful sister-in-law.
Love
JuLee

Margie said...

Timothy said.....

Lesley is my favorite big sister!! I have so many fond memories of growing up with Lesley. She always has been, from my earliest memory, a kind and devoted sister who is "fiercely loyal" to her family.

Lesley influenced my early musical tastes (I still enjoy a good Osmond or Partridge Family tune); she influenced my early flare for style (literally, I used to borrow her LAPD corduroy flare pants on a fairly regular basis - thank heavens for the unisex pants styles of the 70's). She was very helpful to me when I had an art project (good ol' Mr. Monson "Ahh come on class, be quiet!) in the ninth grade when I needed a round tubular thing for pop art.

When I was a little boy Lesley used to draw really cool Winnebagos and cut them out so that I could play with them. She invited me along to cruise on the boat "Chickee Pottee". She used to walk with me to Irv's Market (the future Leger's Market) to buy penny candy.

I love Lesley!!! There is no other way to express it. Thanks Lilian for doing such an awesome job at writing this post. The beauty of it all is that we have eternity to enjoy each other.


I am so grateful for FFF and the powerful impact it has had on all of us. "All love together...."

Love ya Les!!

Marivic said...

I am very glad that Lilian pointed out that Lesley made my wedding dress. It epitomizes Lesley’s generosity and love for family. It must not have been easy for Lesley to make my dress because there was no sewing pattern for my size, and yet she did an incredible job! Some people through the years have commented that my wedding dress looks classic rather than dated. In fact, it is pretty enough for another bride to ask to borrow it and I had reluctantly lent it (the one and only time and never again!). That someone else wanted to wear it on her special day is proof that Lesley did an excellent job making it.

Lesley was also my maid of honor! That was a very easy and correct decision to make. Les and Mike “adopted” me when I first arrived in the States and were my awesome hosts. As I’ve grown older and more American I cannot help but be so amazed at such generosity, and be touched by such love. Lesley was a friend before she was my sister-in-law. She was with me for my very first, very scary, intimidating, traumatizing visit with Dr. Sumpsion (her OB/Gyn) before my wedding. Let’s just leave it at that.

Through the years Lesley has been the most awesome big sister to Alan and to me, and loving aunt to my children. Alan has always loved and spoken highly of Lesley, and I think that in the beginning I felt the same way because of Alan’s influence but through the years I had so many opportunities to form my own personal and very good opinion of Les, independent of her biased brother. :-)

I admire Les as a daughter, sister, wife, mother and grandma. I admire that she is so creative and artsy-crafty in ways I am not. I admire that she makes the effort to make her surroundings beautiful. I admire that she works with her hands and uses her gifts and talents to serve the Lord and her family.

And I 'm glad Lesley loves to TALK! When I'm with Lesley I don't get bored because she has a lot of things to say, and I don't have to worry about saying something clever because Les can keep the conversation interesting and fun without me trying to be anything but just me.

I agree with Melissa. Lesley is THE glue of the family, particularly of her generation and the succeeding generation. I am always impressed at how Lesley tries to reach out to everyone including far-away cousins.

I am sad Family Friday has ended, but I’m happy Lilian made sure Lesley got her very own post. Good job Lilian! Luv ya Les!

Stecky said...

Leelees- (sp? I have no idea how to spell that!) what a perfect job you did of describing an angel on earth. I have been so blessed by your sister. (I also count myself blessed to know all your family) Lesley is the perfect thoughtful friend. I am amazed at her always. I have spent many good times with her laughing and telling stories. (I make her tell her bathroom stories to everyone new we are in contact with.)I have spent many close times crying with her. My only complaint? Not enough Lesley time!

Lesley said...

Mike(ee) said: So many wonderful and thoughtful comments. I do not make comments on blogs but, I will echo what every one has said and add that Lesley is my BEST FRIEND, MY ETERNAL COMPANION, and most of all MY BABYCAKES...I know that Heavenly Father loves me because he brought me to my Lesley who I have no doubt was also my best friend in the pre-existance. it is very simple I LOVE MY LESLEY!

BobN said...

I have always thought of Lesley as a well-grounded person. Through the years just reinforces that.

And man, can she ever sing.

I feel that my freckles are safe around her. :-)

Fridays won't quite be the same without Family Friday and Clyde Friday.

R. Divot said...

Leloo, you are such a kind, loving person and it is an absolute privelege to call you my sister. I think the maddest I have ever seen Lesley was around early 1985. She was so pleased with her new couch. She did everything to take care that nothing was spilled on it. You couldn't eat on it, drink on it. Sit on it if you had dirty hands, etc. I was over one day and Jeremy (approx. 18 months) was sitting on the couch in his diaper. Lesley was ironing and we were all watching something on TV. Suddenly, Lesley said a word. Very softly, but firmly. I looked up to see her reaction to little Jeremy sitting on the couch in the middle of an "exploded diaper". The word Lesley said was the same as the substance Jeremy was sitting in. That is the extent of anger that I have seen Lesley portray. At the other end of the spectrum, Lesley always seems to have a smile. Always looking for a good opportunity to laugh. I love her cheesecake, I love our personalized telephone greeting, I love her Christmas party, I love her husband and children, the list goes on. And I love you, Lesley.

Jeff said...

Thanks Mom for doing Family Friday. I have looked forward to it each week and it has helped us all learn a little bit more about each other. I am going to miss it. You are an exceptional Mom and Grandma. Thanks for always being willing to help out with Avery she loves spending time with you. Thanks for helping out in the delis, especially on the days when I call you in the morning last minute and you rearrange your schedule to help out. I'm not sure out of us kids who your favorite is. But I can truly say in this case that "it's just a pleasure being nominated."

Terri said...

Les,
I was just waiting for this one.
Kudos to Lilian for doing such a great job describing an "Angel on Earth". My memories of you go back to the 5th grade. I was the new kid and you smiled that huge smile. From then on we have been friends. I do have one bird memory... When Ashleigh was so sick, I remember you put a little bird feeder on your front window because she had gotten from McDonalds or somewhere like that. You didn't like the idea of those birds being there... and I don't remember how long you left it up. But I will always remember you doing it for her. Through the years I have watched in admiration as you have been engaged in "doing for others" whether it was your family, friends, or church callings. Thanks for the example.
Love Ya! Mean It!!!

Bonnie and Jim said...

What a beautiful tribute to your sister. I have not known her as long as most of you, but I do agree she is an amazing person. I felt she was an instant friend and have enjoyed her friendship, especially our time at girls camp.

em said...

I think the first time I knew Lesley and I would be friends, was when Jeremy + I first started hanging out together. We were watching a movie, and about halfway through, Jer said, "Geez, I think you need to watch movies with my mom from now on." He later explained that we both talk non-stop through movies, ask too many questions, and try to guess the ending before the movie is over. :) I will watch a movie with you anytime, Les.:)

I feel so blessed to have Lesley as my mother-in-law, and love talking to her and spending time with her. I always come away having had great conversations, and always laugh so hard at the funny things she says or thinks up; she is a very funny lady!

I'm grateful for the type of mother she was to Jeremy. It is such a relief to have found a husband who grew up with a mom who taught him how to treat women, how to live the gospel, and how to just overall, be a good person.

Just the other day I was reminded of when I went to say goodbye to the Legers before I left on my mission. I got all teary eyed all over again thinking of how hard it was to say goodbye to them. I wanted to be a Leger and wanted so badly to have them as my family. I didn't want to leave not knowing whether or not they would be my family one day if Jeremy and I got married. Lucky for me, I married into one of the best families a girl could ask for!
Lesley was always so sweet to include me in family things before Jeremy and I were married. Looking back, I probably wouldn't be so nice ;) (sorry Mason + Tanner), but she always invited me to EVERYTHING, including the beach house!!! She has always made me feel loved, accepted, and a part of the family from day one.
I have such tender feelings in my heart for what Lesley had to go through when Ashleigh died, and feel such admiration and love for Lesley and her example of "carrying on," and staying positive. Lesley has such a good, kind heart, and a spirit about her that is so loving and warm. I'm so thankful to be her daughter and my children are so lucky to have her as a grandma. I always know that my children are safe with Lesley (especially from plastic bags) + that they are always cared for and loved and watched over when they are with her. Mason LOVED Grandma day that he had with her recently, and keeps asking when he can go have another Grandma day in the silver bullet. ;)

I have loved Family Friday's, and am glad to have gotten to know so many things about family members that I would not otherwise have known! Good tributes to everyone, and this was a great tribute to Lesley, too!

Love you!