Friday, August 10, 2012

Day 10: William's Story

One night at bedtime when Andy was two-years-old, I told him that we would go to the park the next day. He was so happy as he anticipated the park outing that I made up a little story for him about a boy I called Willy, I even titled the story "Willy Goes to the Park". After that, Andy frequently would request a "Willy story" and I would make one up for him on a number of different subjects and activities that "Willy" did. Andy still has memories of his custom made stories, and since he has a little boy named William, today I'm going to tell a William story... because I'm certain that Willy's name was really William too.

 William Rides the Train

Once there was a little boy named William who was five-years-old. One day William's Grandma came to his house. They were going to have a Grandma Day together. William had a big smile on his face and said, "hi Grandma" when she arrived. They said good-by to William's mommy and brothers and they drove to the train station. William LOVES trains.

William waited patiently for the train to come. When the train arrived he held Grandma's hand so that he would be safe. William and Grandma climbed the stairs so that they could sit on the top floor of the train. They were high above everything as the train flew down the tracks. They saw houses and animals and cars and even Lagoon. William told Grandma, "that's my Lagoon."

When the train stopped William and Grandma went into the train museum. William had been there before so he led Grandma all around. At the train museum there are real train cars. William climbed up on the different cars. One car was a 2002 Olympics car. Grandma took William's picture there. William's mommy was a volunteer at the 2002 Olympics.

William and Grandma played with a wooden toy train on a wooden track. William knew how to share because he said, "here's your train Grandma" as he placed four train cars in front of her. Grandma and William each led their trains around the track being careful not to have a collision.

 Soon it was time for William and Grandma to go back to the train and return home. When they got home William told Grandma "thank you", and Grandma told William, "thanks for coming with me and showing me the train museum." They had a fun day together.

2 comments:

Bea said...

What a great Grandma Day, what a fortunate boy William is to have a fun Grandma.
What a tender story.

Georgia said...

I love stories too! I grew up with a mom who read stories and told stories and I tried to be that kind of mom too. How fun to think about carrying that tradition on to the next generation. When I am a grandma, I want to be just like you!