Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Day 22: Happy Happy Birthday Mother Dear


When I started my 31 day challenge I created a list of things that I could blog about. I didn't have ideas for more than half of the days, but today is one that I did have... because it's my Mother's birthday.

When I was a little girl, each year when my Mother's birthday came around we would ask her how old she was, the answer was always the same "twenty-one." It was several years before I actually found out my Mother's real age. I remember learning from her that you don't ask adults... especially women; how old they are.

My Mother is one of my greatest examples. She loves and cares about me, as she does all of her family. She does not complain or murmer about anything. In the last couple of years she has experienced some serious health issues. She faces her trials head on and with faith in the Lord. Even through these experiences she keeps her sense of humor and can make jokes. She is a rock; a pillar of strength and an example to all who know her.

My Mother is still a "Mom" to me. Even though I am a Mom and a Grandma, I am still her baby girl. She encourages me, and praises me, and she always listens to me (I'm sure that is hard sometimes). She never reprimands me or lectures me... she always makes me feel as though my opinions are valid.

My parents are still very self-sufficient and take good care of each other, and they are still capable of taking care of us. They support pretty much everything family members invite them to. They are there cheering for us whatever it is we may be doing. They were at family night at Cherry Hill this week just to be with us, even though neither one of them went down cardiac canyon *smiley face*.

I sat down at my computer recently with my (just turned) two-year-old granddaughter sitting on my lap. We were watching a slide show of pictures and she was enjoying pointing at "mommy" and "daddy"... when a picture of my Mother came across the screen Jane pointed and said, "G'ma Marden". I was so surprised, and also impressed, that a little two-year-old knew and recognized by name her Great-Grandma. I was excited to tell Mother about it and she was so pleased.

I love my Mother. She is the best. I'm grateful that I was sent to her. Happy, happy birthday Mother!!!!

2 comments:

Bea said...

I feel I should respond to this lovely tribute you wrote about me but how do I? All I can think is of the words of a song, "for somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good".to deserve you as my daughter and my friend. love you.

Tiffany said...

Oh your mother is one of my favorites!! I tell (my) Mike all the time that when we grow older, I want to be like Brother and Sister Marsden. What a great lady, and example to MANY.