This post is short and very random; but I'm really curious to know what other people think about this.
The other day as I was shopping in Deseret Book I overheard a conversation between a Grandma and her two pre-school aged granddaughters. She was telling them (in a nice way) to be quiet and to pick a book to read, she then left them alone and began perusing the aisles of the store.
They were a little noisy (not a big deal), so every few minutes their Grandma would find them and give them a little lecture about being quiet and reminded them to each choose a book to read. As I walked past the aisle the girls were on I heard the older girl complain about the younger girl taking her book. At that moment Grandma was absent, and I watched as the book ended up on the floor and two pair of hands landed on the open pages. They were both grabbing for the book and I was sure I was going to hear the sound of ripping pages... all while Grandma was enjoying her quiet time perusing the aisles.
I understand that customers are going to want to "check out" a book before purchasing it, so of course we are going to pick it up and browse through it; but... I think young children should be closely attended to while browsing through books and more importantly, I don't think young children should be left alone in a bookstore (or any store for that matter) for safety reasons. As for telling pre-schoolers to find a book to keep them entertained while an adult shops... I don't think a bookstore is a library. Any thoughts about this?
Saturday, August 25, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I asked once at a bookstore if they minded that people would just hang out and read the books cover to cover and not buy them. They said no. I was surprised by that. I definitely think leaving kids alone is not a good idea in this context, and maybe a little selfish on Grandma's part. "Selfish" and "Grandma" are not words that go together.
I would think they should keep the kids under wing.
But I don't frequent bookstores. However... I have been to a bookstore with couches for sitting in... drinks and scones.... and an area for children. So, they reap what they sew.
I always pick the book from the back of the pile. There's less of a chance that it's been manhandled. :)
No way should she just leave them alone while she shops!
Don't even get me started about visiting Ross or the DI. People think those toy aisles are daycares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As for bookstores, my dad always taught me to read the first page to see if you like it, then put it back and pick your book from the very bottom of the pile!
Post a Comment