It has been nearly three-and-a-half years since we saw our home for the first time. From that day to the day we moved in I would drive past it on a regular basis. From the first day we saw it the exterior of the home was completed but the inside still needed to be finished, so sometimes I would get out of my car and walk around the house peeking in the windows to see how the finish work was coming along. I loved it and was sure that it was the house for our family.
Imagine my surprise when one day I noticed what I considered to be... a flaw. I had been driving past this house for weeks, how had I never seen it before? We hadn't made an offer yet; but I was sure I could overlook the "flaw" because I really loved this house.
We bought the house-we moved in-and it's been great; but... every time I drive up to my house I see the flaw. My eye is drawn to it immediately and it bugs me, and it bugs me that I let it bug me.
The flaw cannot be fixed, so I have thought of possible ways that I could camouflage it, you see, I don't want anyone else to notice it.
I recently came to the conclusion that I have let it bug me too much. One day while driving up to my house (and looking at the flaw) I decided that I was being ridiculous, "why do you always look there first?" I asked myself, "just look past it, look at all of the good things about your house."
The thought quietly came into my mind, how often do I do the same thing to myself... and to others? By focusing more than I should on the "flaws" rather than the "good things".
I decided that day to "get over it" and to be more appreciative of the really great features of my home than to spend any more time dwelling on this one negative aspect... that cannot be fixed.
I know for me... and probably for you; that working on our own "flaws" is a continual process. One thing that I have discovered is this... the things that bug me about me; can be fixed. In tomorrow's post I will share a way that helps me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Naturally, I want to know what the flaw is. And... being your sister... and.... knowing YOU.... it's probably just a stain on one of the bricks. Either way, I'm very happy to know that you have moved on. :-)
I can relate to this attitude so well because for the past 13 years, as I have driven to our house, my eye always goes to the stripe of shingles that is a slightly lighter shade of gray than the others on our house. It has been an annoyance to me and I keep telling myself that we are warm and safe and dry under that roof so it should not matter than one strip is a little different.
I look forward to knowing how you have overcome that tendency in looking at the flaws in yourself, because I too, share that tendency.
I think that "flaws" are what gives things and people character & make them interesting & real & likeable & even beautiful. I think things and/or people who are perfect or pretend to be perfect or only want people to see their perfect sides are boring & uninteresting & sometimes annoying:-)I think your house is just perfectly beautiful, Les. I don't see any flaw so most people probably don't.
I'm full of flaws and unfortunately am quick to see flaws in other people too. I'm looking forward to the post about what helps you overcome them. Perhaps your ideas will help me too.
Post a Comment