Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Day 15: What I "like" About Facebook


I have some "likes" and "dislikes" about facebook. For todays post I will just share the thing that I like the most. Facebook friends.

A few years ago I announced to the family that I had hit the facebook-friend-jackpot. My boys made fun teased, "did you become friends with Donny Osmond!" Better than that... I had found Kim Stansfield Braman, the daughter of some of our oldest and dearest friends. Consequently, I am now friends with other members of her family and have access not only to their facebook pages, but their blogs where I can see pictures of their family and read about what is happening in their lives.

I have re-connected with many friends and acquaintances from even further in the past including Debi Berensen Bateman and Pam Groberg Shaw (goofing off in the picture with me). Debi and I were next door neighbors all through Jr. High, and Pam and I were practically inseparable during our Junior and Senior years. Although I haven't seen these friends in years, I am able to"visit" them on facebook.

I have become "friends" with former co-workers, ward members from my youth, relatives in England that I haven't seen in years, family from here as well as in other cities and states, friends of my children, friends I don't see that often, friends I see all the time, ward members from my three wards (old, new, YSA), the children of my friends... the list goes on and on.

Sometimes I make surprising discoveries on facebook. Do you remember my "freckle story" from my blog a few years ago (go here to read it)? I haven't seen that girl in over 34 years then one day while on facebook I see that she is a friend of one of my good friends. Bet you're all wondering if it's you that knows her. Needless to say I didn't request her friendship, she may not even remember me, but then again, how do you forget someone that tells you they are going to pull all the freckles off your face and shove them down your throat.

Maybe in a future post if I start running out of random things to blog about in my 31 day challenge  I will blog about my facebook "dislikes". I'm not sure if I want to divulge that much information... but I'm sure this would be the title:

               HaHa     LOL     :)

What do you like about facebook?

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm assuming I could be considered one of your "good friends" and so yes, you're right, I did wonder if I'm friends with the infamous freckle girl.
This 30 day thing is great--such random posts--but so good.

Georgia said...

I like the connection I have with friends, family, and acquaintances who live far away which I would never, otherwise, have any way of knowing what is going on in their lives. I have family from Arizona to Singapore and pretty much everywhere in between, so it is a blessing to have this easy way to share photos and thoughts, ideas and recipes, events and activities.

Lilian said...

Interesting that your post is about Facebook today. I'm having "issues" with whether or not I like it these days.

However.... I do "LIKE" that I am now friends with a couple of people in Cambodia. I am also friends with the wife of Taylor's recently released mission pres. I also like that I can reconnect/connect wih old friends and family in England and Ireland.

Marivic said...

I love Facebook! Mostly same reasons you gave, Les. I blogged about it a year ago this month:
http://thankfulfortheride.blogspot.com/2010/08/facebook-part-1-i-love-facebook.html

I have very few "dislikes" about Facebook, just dislikes about some of the people who are in it who should not be in it Haha LOL :-) !!!!!

It's a social network so it is interesting to me how it reflects how people are socially in "real Life". Some are popular, some like to "party" & have fun, some just wants to be whiners & complainers & Debbie-Downers, some are just regular folks, some are wall flowers--they "talk & nobody cares"--, and some are just creepy stalkers. I think I am a little bit of everything Haha LOL :-) !!!

This is fun post to leave a comment on, Les. Good job!