Monday, August 20, 2012

Day 20: Familiar Faces

Sunday evening Mike and I were invited to see our brother-in-law Cory as he was set apart as a High Priest. Besides Cory, there were three young men who were being ordained Elders. As the families of these four gathered in the high council room of the stake center, Mike and I got excited as we saw a familiar face among the crowd. Although it has been many years since we last saw this face and it had aged considerably, we both easily recognized the man who was our Bishop when we were married, and then became our stake president a few years later. The seat next to me was empty and he happened to sit there, and when he turned and saw us he greeted us enthusiastically. We have a soft spot for Boyd Beagley. He hadn't lived in our ward for very long when he became our Bishop just one month before we were married in 1977. On April conference Sunday, just two weeks before our wedding, he invited us to his office where he gave us a "mini" temple prep class. I remember thinking how nice that was of him to do that on his "day off". On that occasion Mike asked Bishop Beagley to be a witness at our wedding, which means his signature is on our wedding certificate. We were just a couple of teenagers then, and now all these years later it felt appropriate to tell him that Mike was now serving as Bishop of a YSA ward. Experiences like these always make me think of a scripture I like: Alma 17:1.

My laundry post is becoming more of a reality.

2 comments:

Lilian said...

I was very happy to see Pres. Beagley there too. He was so friendly to my Michael and talked to him as if he's known him forever. Michael was way happy to know that he had been my bishop when I was around his age. But, probably the Stake Pres. when I was Michaels exact age.

Bea said...

I also like the reference you used of Alma 17, always touches my heart when i see people who are still faithful after many years.