Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Day 7: Fulfilling a Promise


Last week family and friends gathered at little Jane's home to celebrate her second birthday with a party. Of course opening the gifts is always the best part, and we all gathered round to watch. You wonder what a two-year-old is thinking as all eyes are on her while she opens package after package filled with wonderful new toys. One package particularly delighted her... which brought delight to the rest of us. One family had added a package of m&m's to their gift. Jane was so excited; and, after finding the m&m's nothing else seemed to matter. She obediently opened each gift and said thank-you, but after, she immediately looked through the wrapping paper, gift bags and tissue paper for the bag of "emmy-ems" that had been briefly discarded as she opened the new gift. Each time she found them she was so happy it made everyone laugh.

I promised a family member some time ago that I would share an un-birthday story on my blog... so today I'm fulfilling that promise. When I was in my early teenage years... my Auntie Marjie and her family lived within a couple of miles of our family. I have mentioned previously on my blog that we didn't grow up with a lot of family living close by, so it was a lot of fun for us when these cousins moved nearby and we spent a lot of time with their family. Like all kids do, we looked forward to our birthdays. Whenever me or my siblings had a birthday our Auntie Marjie brought us a gift. That was a big deal to us because we usually only received gifts from our parents. Auntie Marjie's gifts were always well planned and selected for the person they were intended for, we always knew that she had especially thought of us for our special day. But the best part was this... Auntie Marjie also brought un-birthday gifts. This was a special treat for each of the un-birthday kids in the family. It wasn't a present like the present the birthday kid got, it was usually a little bag of goodies and maybe an inexpensive little trinket... but WE.LOVED.IT!!!  And with six kids in our family we got to LOVE.IT six times a year. I will never forget the thoughtfulness of my Aunt; we knew she loved and cared about each one of us, and we loved her. Just like sweet Jane, who was so thrilled with her "emmy em's"; sometimes it's just the simplest of things that makes us happy... especially, if it's just being thought about and remembered. 

Does anybody have a similar tradition? Or other special birthday traditions?

Auntie Marjie at David's first birthday

4 comments:

Lilian said...

I remember when Auntie Marjie came for mom and dad's 50th wedding anniversary she brought us all a gift then too. A picture frame. Mine is displayed in my scrapbook room with a picture of my boys. I don't necessarily remember her bringing us "un-birthday" gifts, but I for sure remember her being a generous aunt and she always made each of us feel that we were the most important to her.

Unknown said...

Thank you Lesley. Just so you know My Mom Thought of each and everyone of you all the time, and kept up with the going on in each of your lives. She truely loved all of her Family.

Lilian said...

Ha... perhaps those times I remember when she was being a generous aunt were those un-birthdays? :-) I was too little to remember.

yodeler52 said...

Lesley I want to thank you for the wonderful story about your Auntie Marjie. She had told me about the "un-birthdays", and your story has brought back many, many pleasant memories. She always had wonderful things to say about you, Lilian and all your brothers. She had many fond memories of the time she spent with your family and I know she is very proud of you for remembering her little kindnesses.