Friday, May 13, 2011

TDBC Day 13: A Fun Memory

Today is Ashleigh's birthday, so of course my fun memory has to be about her.

May 13, 1987 was one of the (6) most memorable days in my life. We had absolutely no idea that we were having a baby girl. Ashleigh was born at 2:53 pm and that is my 1st fun memory... the look on the Dr.'s face and our laughter when she appeared, he shared in our joy with us.

While I was in labor my dad took a break from work to come see me. When he left I went to the delivery room and delivered the baby, I was then put back in the same labor room for recovery (they did things different 24 years ago). When my dad came back to the hospital he came to the labor room to see me. While we visited he told us that he had stopped to look in the nursery window at a new baby that had just arrived. At some point we all realized that dad didn't know I had already had the baby and that it was Ashleigh he had seen in the nursery. 2nd fun memory.

That night after all the visitors left the hospital, I was alone in my room when a lady from my stake entered. She wore a robe and was walking funny like all the other new moms. She said, "Lesley, I heard that you had a baby girl." "Yes!!!" I was so excited, "what did you have?" Her answer, "a hysterectomy." And that is my 3rd fun memory.

Not all of Ashleigh's story is fun... but it is the fun and happy that I choose to remember. As I look at the picture above it is hard for me to comprehend holding her in my arms, holding her little hand, looking into her big brown eyes, and listening to her sweet voice. But I still feel the joy that I did on May 13, 1987. She is my baby girl forever. I believe that she chose me and I chose her, and I know beyond any doubt we will be together again...we have so much fun to look forward to.

5 comments:

Lucile Eastman said...

I'm glad you wrote these memories.

Bea said...

I remember you laying in your room and your legs were just up and down that bed,
"Mother, I have a baby girl, I gotta get outta here!!!!!"

Georgia said...

Leslie,

What a beautiful post! My heart swelled with emotion as I read your reflections of that glorious day 24 years ago and of your angel who is watching over you and your family and cheering all the amazing things you do.

I have often heard Marjie say what an example you are to her. I can certainly see why she feels that way.

Thank you for sharing such tender memories and feelings.

Tiffany said...

I've heard you tell your 'Ashleigh hospital story' several times--so happy you got your girl(s).

Contact: Ashley Mills said...

This post touched my heart. It made me squeeze Sam a little tighter. What a beautiful blessing baby girls are. I am so glad we have them forever!