I would say that the 5 days a week I go to work things are pretty much the same every day... but there are other days it is completely unpredictable. As most of you know I manage a deli that my son owns. So pretty much every day I go at the same time, come home at the same time, and do all of the same stuff in the middle.Today I made deviled eggs (very popular item at the deli), I prepared a weekly special (bbq roast beef sandwich), I prepared soup, I made sandwiches, salads, ran the cash register, wiped down tables and even more... pretty much the basic things we do on a daily basis.
Some days we do things that don't happen on a daily basis. Here are a just a couple that happened today:
"Hey, Lesley... where's the roast beef?"
"it's in the walk-in."
"no, it's not."
"Yes, it's in the box on the bottom shelf."
"No... that's sausage."
Silence
"What's in the sausage box in the freezer?"
Freezer is opened
"Roast beef."
My bad.
Our delivery that usually comes in the morning is still not there after our rush. Now the stragglers are coming in and we have just run out of tomatoes. A customer is told that we currently don't have any tomatoes, so she asks if she can have cucumbers instead. Cucumbers are an additional cost, but of course being the good manager that I am, I tell the person making the sandwich not to charge the customer for the cucumber (because of the missing tomatoes of course). Just as the customer turns to leave, sandwich in hand, our delivery truck drives up. I say (half joking, half serious) "our truck is here, do you still want tomatoes?" She went with the half serious and said, "yes!" So I send an employee running out to the truck to retrieve one tomato so that we can add it to her sandwich. And she still got her cucumber for free.
Oh well, at least I didn't have to do this post yesterday, when a bird decided to perch it's little self on the store window and stare at me all day!!!
5 comments:
Yes, and when that bird took it's little perch on the OUTSIDE OF THE BUILDING I thought there was a crisis outside because of your reaction! :-)
Ah the deli. So glad Caleb was there to slice the tomatoes.... LOL! Don't tell Peder I called him Caleb! LOL!
lol at the bird AND your reaction! Looks like a YUUUUUMMMMY lunch fit for a pregnant girl!
Well Les, my favorite sandwich at Leger's is the turkey on wheat with avacado. Technically turkey is a bird. A dead bird actually, but you gotta looooooove that sandwich. :-)
You exemplified the Primary song,
"I want to be kind to everyone so that is right you see, so I say to myself remember this, Kindness begins with me."
It is also good for business.
Love those sandwiches!!!!
I am posting a comment here also. Just in case everyone else didn't get the instructions for the freebies! Love You!
Post a Comment